Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Depends on his future aspirations.

Much like D1 message boards are frowning at the notion of taking a D2 QB ... NFL teams do, too. His best path for a shot to play on Sunday is to go up in class. If he has a big year at WVU, he'll likely get drafted. Having another stat-machine year at Shepherd likely won't help him get drafted.

Comment

I disagree. It's not like the key to getting to the NFL is winning college games. No scout is going to say "let's sign this guy because his team went 9-2 and that other guy went 7-4." It's about what you can do as a player.

If he stays at Shepherd, will his stock rise at all? Maybe a little bit.

I think if he goes D1 and plays well, his NFL stock would rise higher because it shows he can do it against better competition. He's already shredded the PSAC. What does doing it again prove? Unless, as I said in an earlier post, his right-hand-to-God goal is to win a national championship at Shepherd and the NFL is secondary.
        http://www.indianagazette.com
        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

If he went 7-4 in a P5 conference, he'd get drafted. That would 100% be a great move on his part if that was what the future held. I think it would go further than winning back to back harlon hills. There are no NFL Qb's from D2, and I can't think of any in the last 20-30 years really.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
            Unless, as I said in an earlier post, his right-hand-to-God goal is to win a national championship at Shepherd and the NFL is secondary.
            IMHO, chances of winning a D2 championship -- 0%. Chances of getting drafted in Rd 4-7 after leading a P5 team to a 7-4 record and winning the Chuck E Cheese Bowl -- 25%.

Comment

He got run over by Ferris Bueller State.

A rough start in Morgantown will not be good.

Comment

I don't understand why his team's success, or lack thereof, will impact his draft stock. Teams will want to see his arm, his mobility, his decision-making. They want to see his leadership. Whether he's on a 4-7 WVU team, or a 7-4 WVU team, or a 9-2 WVU is irrelevant. It's how well he plays against the competition that will get him to the NFL. That's why there's the combine and pro days.

I mean, it's not like Kenny Pickett's draft stock has fallen because Pitt lost to Western Michigan earlier this season.

Comment

There are no NFL QB's currently from D2 - but Bagent is not your typical D2 star. He won the HH as a true junior.

It seems like there is more risk if he tries to move up. A lot of risk, actually.

If he stays, there is a chance he's drafted and gets a shot but he might not be the highest rated QB the team drafts. Even if he stays, he will get a shot whether he gets drafted or not (which I think he will).

The question ultimately comes down to how good he is.

I think Bagent is good and should have been playing up all along. But the situation also reminds me of the record-breaking RB Gannon had a few years back. Most teams couldn't stop him in D2 (IUP did) but I don't think he would have had much success even in FCS because he just lacked the quickness for a more competitive level.
                  Last edited by iupgroundhog; 01-10-2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                    I don't understand why his team's success, or lack thereof, will impact his draft stock. Teams will want to see his arm, his mobility, his decision-making. They want to see his leadership. Whether he's on a 4-7 WVU team, or a 7-4 WVU team, or a 9-2 WVU is irrelevant. It's how well he plays against the competition that will get him to the NFL. That's why there's the combine and pro days.

I mean, it's not like Kenny Pickett's draft stock has fallen because Pitt lost to Western Michigan earlier this season.
                    I agree with what your saying. I was implying moreso that if WVU goes 7-4 with him as the QB, the assumption is that he proved in that record he can play at that level given the success they achieved as a team.

I would say that if Pickett and Pitt went 8-4 like they usually do... we'd still be talking about a 3rd day prospect for him as a QB. Since they went 12-1 and were ACC champs, the success of the team he led raised his stock.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                      He got run over by Ferris Bueller State.

A rough start in Morgantown will not be good.

The entire country got run over by Ferris. It wasn't just Shepherd and Bagent. They beat the piss out of everyone in the playoffs.

Comment

Tyson Bagent is the best PSAC quarterback I have ever seen. However...

Since 1995, there have been 326 QBs taken in the NFL draft. Four were from D2.

17 QBs have won the Harlon Hill. Zero were NFL draft picks.

Having said that, Bagent needs 3,812 passing yards and 31 TD passes to set D2 career records.

TL;DR ... Despite being one of the best D2 QBs of all-time, IMO he has an uphill climb to the NFL if he stays in D2.

Comment

Well, if he comes in to Heinz Field and beats Pitt to start the season ... those haters in Morgantown will become lovers real quick.

Comment

I think my biggest issue with this is that he made a commitment to Shepherd and Shepherd kept up their part of the deal. Why are you walking from them now? I could understand that you are getting what you were promised as a recruit and you want a better shot but this just kinda reeks. You have no basis to think he can waltz on to a P5 roster as a starter and not miss a beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                              I was implying moreso that if WVU goes 7-4 with him as the QB, the assumption is that he proved in that record he can play at that level given the success they achieved as a team.
                              I concede that's possible. But the team's success also depends a lot on the parts around the QB.

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                              I would say that if Pickett and Pitt went 8-4 like they usually do... we'd still be talking about a 3rd day prospect for him as a QB. Since they went 12-1 and were ACC champs, the success of the team he led raised his stock.
                              Quiz time: What do Mitch Trubisky, Daniel Jones, and Jared Goff have in common, in addition to being first-round draft picks?
                              Answer: Their teams went 8-5 their final season in college.

Conversely, Central Florida went 12-1 with Blake Bortles in 2013, and the next spring he went No. 3 overall. That didn't end so well for the Jags.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                                I think my biggest issue with this is that he made a commitment to Shepherd and Shepherd kept up their part of the deal.
                                Do you feel this way about all transfers?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X