X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wallst
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post

He was a player that teams had to prepare for in the RMAC last year. He's a good player so I hope he continues it for you.
    Why is IUP having to hit the portal for qb instead of developing internally, at least recently? Sexton last year, Karst this year? I applaud IUP for branching out and hitting the portal especially in the Midwest. But, there is something to be said for program guys especially at QB.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I suspect the OL will be much better by the next scrimmage. Those are all proven guys. They need reps in this system. They are likely 'thinking' too much rather than simply playing. That's the purpose of camp. I suspect they will look much different a week from now.

Don't forget, this IUP DL, while being questioned because it lacks the 300 pounders, just may be scary good. Logan Danielson, the most hyped up player to ever be on campus for four years and not take a snap, had two sacks yesterday - and is a real handful. Tyrone Fowler is just on a different level and will make many OL look foolish this season.

The DL is smaller than we are used to seeing but will also be much, much faster. We keep hearing about how massive the IUP OL is ... well, it seems speed won the day yesterday.

I will say this, if that OL doesn't get up to speed come opening night, well, anybody on the home side offended by choice language better wear ear plugs. That's one of the more entertaining sideline huddles around to listen to.

It's also my opinion the defenses have a massive, massive advantage in intrasquad scrimmages. They know the calls. They know the formations/plays. Heck, in a dead quiet stadium they probably hear the play call. They know the QB probably isn't going to take off.
    Most defenses seem to have gone to 1 or 2 big guys and more speed at exterior dl, and LB these days.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

You did a great job of pointing out the positives. That said, you’re being generous in your comments on the O line. It was awful, especially the first group. Miscommunication and slow, although not knowing where to be makes you slower so I’m sure that’s part of it. That said, no need to fully press the panic button a few days into the first fall practices. As was pointed out, the defense looks great but also likely knows what’s coming.

IF they can’t get the O line to gel, and I’m not saying they can’t, it doesn’t matter what kind of other weapons they have. All I know is yesterday the QB, running backs, and receivers looked pretty darned ordinary because the line performed poorly. I’ll admit it’s not fair to make too many judgements based on the first live scrimmage of the fall but this is something to keep an eye on.
    I suspect the OL will be much better by the next scrimmage. Those are all proven guys. They need reps in this system. They are likely 'thinking' too much rather than simply playing. That's the purpose of camp. I suspect they will look much different a week from now.

Don't forget, this IUP DL, while being questioned because it lacks the 300 pounders, just may be scary good. Logan Danielson, the most hyped up player to ever be on campus for four years and not take a snap, had two sacks yesterday - and is a real handful. Tyrone Fowler is just on a different level and will make many OL look foolish this season.

The DL is smaller than we are used to seeing but will also be much, much faster. We keep hearing about how massive the IUP OL is ... well, it seems speed won the day yesterday.

I will say this, if that OL doesn't get up to speed come opening night, well, anybody on the home side offended by choice language better wear ear plugs. That's one of the more entertaining sideline huddles around to listen to.

It's also my opinion the defenses have a massive, massive advantage in intrasquad scrimmages. They know the calls. They know the formations/plays. Heck, in a dead quiet stadium they probably hear the play call. They know the QB probably isn't going to take off.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by PSAC Fan View Post
    All the parts are in place. Only need time to work together as a unit. Defense is a little ahead of the Offense at this point. I don't think the smaller D-line will have any problems. They looked fantastic. The DB's looked good as well. If they can compete with these receivers, they should be in great shape. I believe the coaching staff has really pushed this team over the first 1.5 weeks. Seems the offense is making the defense better and vice versa. Mid-second week comes with a lot of soreness and dead legs. Offensive line missed some assignments which caused some hurried throws and sacks but we know Campola will have them geared up and ready. QB and RB positions will be fine as well. Looking forward to next weeks scrimmage and seeing the improvements.
    You did a great job of pointing out the positives. That said, you’re being generous in your comments on the O line. It was awful, especially the first group. Miscommunication and slow, although not knowing where to be makes you slower so I’m sure that’s part of it. That said, no need to fully press the panic button a few days into the first fall practices. As was pointed out, the defense looks great but also likely knows what’s coming.

IF they can’t get the O line to gel, and I’m not saying they can’t, it doesn’t matter what kind of other weapons they have. All I know is yesterday the QB, running backs, and receivers looked pretty darned ordinary because the line performed poorly. I’ll admit it’s not fair to make too many judgements based on the first live scrimmage of the fall but this is something to keep an eye on.

Leave a comment:

• PSAC Fan
    replied
    All the parts are in place. Only need time to work together as a unit. Defense is a little ahead of the Offense at this point. I don't think the smaller D-line will have any problems. They looked fantastic. The DB's looked good as well. If they can compete with these receivers, they should be in great shape. I believe the coaching staff has really pushed this team over the first 1.5 weeks. Seems the offense is making the defense better and vice versa. Mid-second week comes with a lot of soreness and dead legs. Offensive line missed some assignments which caused some hurried throws and sacks but we know Campola will have them geared up and ready. QB and RB positions will be fine as well. Looking forward to next weeks scrimmage and seeing the improvements.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Scrimmages -- especially intrasquad -- certainly have their limitations. Both sides pretty much know what the other is doing, QBs usually aren't allowed to run or get hit, etc.

That said, what's the word out of Miller yesterday?

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Ashland was picked to win the GMAC.

Their opening month is insanely brutal.

@ IUP

@ Ferris State

Hillsdale

@ Tiffin

@ Ohio Dominican

The FSU game is at Ashland, not that it makes a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• GoneBlastin
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
    Hearing from sources that Karst Hunter is the REAL DEAL. We will see come August 31st. The 6-5 220 pound body with speed and the arm is great from the highlights I saw on him.
    He was a player that teams had to prepare for in the RMAC last year. He's a good player so I hope he continues it for you.

Leave a comment:

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied
    Apparently there was a more unofficial scrimmage this morning somewhat closed to the public.

Leave a comment:

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied
    There is no scrimmage tonight. The scrimmage is next Wednesday the 23rd at 6:30.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

That is quite an intro for a new HC.

Reminds me of the year Lombardi opened with 5 or 6 straight nationally ranked teams.
    Its a gamble for sure. I tend to like the idea of playing the best schedule you can, its great for the fans, but its true, the current playoff system doesn't reward this enough. How many conference champs don't make the playoffs because of hard non-conference games. That could happen with Ashland.

Leave a comment:

• Wallst
    replied

@ IUP

@ Ferris State

Hillsdale

@ Tiffin

@ Ohio Dominican

That is brutal. If they lose the first two they have almost no margin for error the rest of the way. Congrats to them for challenging themselves and playing the best of the best in non con but it's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Yikes... they could be eliminated by week 5.
    That is quite an intro for a new HC.

Reminds me of the year Lombardi opened with 5 or 6 straight nationally ranked teams.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

@ IUP

@ Ferris State

Hillsdale

@ Tiffin

@ Ohio Dominican

Yikes... they could be eliminated by week 5.

Leave a comment:

• PSAC Fan
    replied
    According to Indiana Gazette article, there is a scrimmage tomorrow morning beginning at 9:30.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X