X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Giant Eagle used to have a lot of stores that were locally owned franchises. Then the corporate entity (owned by the family of the PASSHE board chair) started buyin them up. I've noticed that the last franchise holdouts are noticeably "different" than the corporate ones. The one in Slippery Rock still is locally owned and I laugh because they block off the self checkout lanes forcing EVERYONE into just one or two cashier lanes.
    I think the franchisee mode was a standard model for stores in rural areas back in the day. A lot of IGA’s in small towns too.

Growing up in Norristown, we had the family owned Genuardi’s Markets and they were hard to beat. They were like Wegmans and had grown to several stores in the Philly Metro area. Then Safeway bought the chain in 2001, promptly ruined it by stopping what made the stores popular and would wind up selling most of them off to Ahold to become Giants and a few to Weis Markets in 2013.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    I see what you mean about the urban area factor, but I've also never understood why cities don't at least attempt to try to put more grocery stores into downtown/urban areas.
    They do and they are. But the decision to locate the store is not made by the city, it's made by the company.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I think the concept would work well in an urban area where a standard grocery store doesn't make much sense. But then again, I thought the same thing about the gas-less Sheetz and those don't seem to have worked either (they've also closed the same concept in Morgantown and State College).
    Unless you increased the size of the "store" component of those gasless Sheetz locations, I'm not sure how they were going to be successful. I could count on one hand the number of times I actually bought something at that Sheetz at the corner in Indiana. That GE Express was massive compared to it. Not sure why anyone would choose Sheetz over the GE Express at the time simply based on the size of the location and offerings.

I see what you mean about the urban area factor, but I've also never understood why cities don't at least attempt to try to put more grocery stores into downtown/urban areas. Columbus has two in the downtown area. Both are extremely nice stores. One is a Giant Eagle Market District in a highly residential urban community that is literally steps away from downtown Columbus. The other is a Kroger towards the campus area. Both have adequate parking and are full service grocery stores.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Martins is Giant in Central and Eastern PA. I guess using the Giant name would confuse too many yinzers. :-)

Yeah that Giant Eagle was pretty beat even in the 80’s. That Martins would have been nice when I lived in Oakland Hall. There was no grocery option on the west side of town back then…
    Giant Eagle used to have a lot of stores that were locally owned franchises. Then the corporate entity (owned by the family of the PASSHE board chair) started buyin them up. I've noticed that the last franchise holdouts are noticeably "different" than the corporate ones. The one in Slippery Rock still is locally owned and I laugh because they block off the self checkout lanes forcing EVERYONE into just one or two cashier lanes.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I believe they did eliminate GE Express altogether. The closing of the store in Indiana had much to do with a lot of product getting legs. It was a nice model. I think it could succeed in a town like Indiana, or a college town in general. It had a nice ability to pull in all sorts of customers.

Great small grocery store for those on-campus or just off campus who did not have a car. Expansive menu of already prepared hot and cold items. Made to order touch screens like Sheetz, Wawa, Getgo, etc. Seating that it managed to be used as a study area/coffee shop for the yuppie/hipster type students. It had a very nice draw and appeal. I remember going there to get food with friends on weekend nights when other things were closed.
    I think the concept would work well in an urban area where a standard grocery store doesn't make much sense. But then again, I thought the same thing about the gas-less Sheetz and those don't seem to have worked either (they've also closed the same concept in Morgantown and State College).

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yeah the old Giant Eagle near campus was a dump.

The Giant Eagle Express was fantastic. One stop shop.

The other BILO is still hanging on. Martin's (in Regency Plaza) is very nice.
    Martins is Giant in Central and Eastern PA. I guess using the Giant name would confuse too many yinzers. :-)

Yeah that Giant Eagle was pretty beat even in the 80’s. That Martins would have been nice when I lived in Oakland Hall. There was no grocery option on the west side of town back then…

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

The students who were taking goods out of the store without paying.
    Hopefully karma paid them a visit.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I think the Giant Eagle Express was eliminated overall, so maybe the Indiana location was a victim to a larger strategic move. The only "express" location I remember seeing anymore is a Market District Express on Rt 19 in Upper St Clair. There are some expanded GetGo locations but I they don't seem to have the young people following like Sheetz & Wawa. Just like if they put a flagship Turkey Hill in Millersville, the Sheetz would still do better.
    I believe they did eliminate GE Express altogether. The closing of the store in Indiana had much to do with a lot of product getting legs. It was a nice model. I think it could succeed in a town like Indiana, or a college town in general. It had a nice ability to pull in all sorts of customers.

Great small grocery store for those on-campus or just off campus who did not have a car. Expansive menu of already prepared hot and cold items. Made to order touch screens like Sheetz, Wawa, Getgo, etc. Seating that it managed to be used as a study area/coffee shop for the yuppie/hipster type students. It had a very nice draw and appeal. I remember going there to get food with friends on weekend nights when other things were closed.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Who was ripping it off?
    The students who were taking goods out of the store without paying.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

To think there once were once two super markets within walking distance of campus along Wayne Ave. The old Riverside which became a Bi Lo and then the Giant Iggle. The Riverside was much nicer than the Giant Iggle.
    Yeah the old Giant Eagle near campus was a dump.

The Giant Eagle Express was fantastic. One stop shop.

The other BILO is still hanging on. Martin's (in Regency Plaza) is very nice.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

It's a real shame that the Giant Eagle Express was getting ripped off as much as they were and had to close. That was a really nice store when I was on campus. It was a nice place to go pick up some grocery items for students without a car. They had all the same made to order food offerings of a GetGo and more. And they had a lot of other prepared stuff too to purchase. Nice seating area too. Were open late on the weekends. Fancy coffee offerings for people in the morning. It was a nice model.

That was a great size and location for that too.
    To think there once were once two super markets within walking distance of campus along Wayne Ave. The old Riverside which became a Bi Lo and then the Giant Iggle. The Riverside was much nicer than the Giant Iggle.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

It's a real shame that the Giant Eagle Express was getting ripped off as much as they were and had to close. That was a really nice store when I was on campus. It was a nice place to go pick up some grocery items for students without a car. They had all the same made to order food offerings of a GetGo and more. And they had a lot of other prepared stuff too to purchase. Nice seating area too. Were open late on the weekends. Fancy coffee offerings for people in the morning. It was a nice model.

I think the Giant Eagle Express was eliminated overall, so maybe the Indiana location was a victim to a larger strategic move. The only "express" location I remember seeing anymore is a Market District Express on Rt 19 in Upper St Clair. There are some expanded GetGo locations but I they don't seem to have the young people following like Sheetz & Wawa. Just like if they put a flagship Turkey Hill in Millersville, the Sheetz would still do better.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Who was ripping it off?

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Dunkin is going down the street a bit near the new DG Market. That’s a done deal after months of ridiculous political posturing over the proposed Philly Street location.

I’m curious what will end up at the location once Sheetz is gone. Seems like a great place for another vape shop! Maybe a combined vape/coffee/pawn shop. Joking aside, I’m not sure what’s left to do there. The DG Market is casting a big shadow over it now.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You're pretty much the minority if you aren't inked up these days -- especially in the 15 to 24 demographic.
    It’s so beyond tired.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X