Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An athletic department needs other sports to have "proportionate participation opportunities" for women. Also they need to provide "financial aid proportionate to female and male participation". If a football team has 100 athletes, there must be a few women's teams to cover that number, and if there is a men's basketball and baseball team.....something about equal rights. Otherwise there will be no football team, unless more men's teams are eliminated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

An athletic department needs other sports to have "proportionate participation opportunities" for women. Also they need to provide "financial aid proportionate to female and male participation". If a football team has 100 athletes, there must be a few women's teams to cover that number, and if there is a men's basketball and baseball team.....something about equal rights. Otherwise there will be no football team, unless more men's teams are eliminated.

Comment

Do you think the football players and coaches work harder at their sport than the athletes and coaches in other sports?

Comment

The 10th place finish is disappointing. I would say, though, that many of the non-revenue sports -- for decades basically treated as enrollment fillers at IUP -- are making strides under Todd G.'s leadership. His vision seems to be for a more well-rounded department.

They'll stay top-heavy -- if anything for the simple fact football and men's basketball have heavy donors. But, it is nice to see some of the other sports improving. The baseball team had fallen to basically a Cheyney football level. Their turnaround this year was remarkable. The track teams, which pull heavy weight in this competition, didn't have great seasons. Softball kind of collapsed there at the end. Men's golf is a powerhouse as is women's tennis.

Gannon is a strange bird when it comes to football and men's basketball. It's not for a lack of resources. They were a power in men's basketball for a long time. We'll see if football recovers here soon from the whole #LIT-AF era. They always seem close in football but don't take the next step.

Comment

I am surprised that you make it about money. As I've described, I have a strong appreciation for intercollegiate athletics across the board. You don't seem to and that's ok.

The main problem I have with your perspective on this is that to me it insults the people involved with non-revenue sports.

As for IUP, we know they have never won the award and they finished 10th this year, even as they won 3 conference championships.

As for the dedication of resources, IUP fields 17 intercollegiate sports. This # is surpassed by WCU (23), KU (20), Bloom (21), Ship (20), Millersville (19), ESU (18), Edinboro (18), and Lock Haven (18). I didn't even look at the non-state schools in the PSAC. 4 of the state schools carry a D1 program. Lock Haven has 2 D1 programs. As far as I know, they are the only non-D1 school in the country to have 2 D1 programs.

I also counted up the number of athletes on rosters for all sports at IUP. There are currently 60 players showing on the football roster. 118 student-athletes compete in other men's sports and 206 student-athletes compete in women's sports. So, as of now, football accounts for 15.6% of the student-athletes at IUP (60 out of 384). What about the other 324?

Schools all have different philosophies on how to run their athletics. It is what it is. If you are going to offer an award of this kind there has to be a non-judgmental criterion for it. The PSAC has that. There is no bias. The rules are the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              I am surprised that you make it about money. As I've described, I have a strong appreciation for intercollegiate athletics across the board. You don't seem to and that's ok.
              Why does that surprise you?

As for the dedication of resources, IUP fields 17 intercollegiate sports. This # is surpassed by WCU (23), KU (20), Bloom (21), Ship (20), Millersville (19), ESU (18), Edinboro (18), and Lock Haven (18). I didn't even look at the non-state schools in the PSAC. 4 of the state schools carry a D1 program. Lock Haven has 2 D1 programs. As far as I know, they are the only non-D1 school in the country to have 2 D1 programs.
              That is expensive. Each conference requires membership fees, even if Lock Haven is only an affiliate to the MAC and A-10. And those D1 conferences are more geographically spread which increases travel costs.

Comment

The main problem I have with your perspective on this is that to me it insults the people involved with non-revenue sports.

As for IUP, we know they have never won the award and they finished 10th this year, even as they won 3 conference championships.

I also counted up the number of athletes on rosters for all sports at IUP. There are currently 60 players showing on the football roster. 118 student-athletes compete in other men's sports and 206 student-athletes compete in women's sports. So, as of now, football accounts for 15.6% of the student-athletes at IUP (60 out of 384). What about the other 324?

Schools all have different philosophies on how to run their athletics. It is what it is. If you are going to offer an award of this kind there has to be a non-judgmental criterion for it. The PSAC has that. There is no bias. The rules are the rules.

That sounds like the Spring roster ... which doesn't include the incoming freshmen or the players who had to sit out the Spring session. I'd guess the Fall camp roster is up around 85 or so.

Comment

As far as I know, they are the only non-D1 school in the country to have 2 D1 programs.

Mercyhurst has 2, D1 M-Hockey and D1 W-Hockey.

Gannon sponsors 26 scholarship teams for 618 participating student athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Gannon is a strange bird when it comes to football and men's basketball. It's not for a lack of resources. They were a power in men's basketball for a long time. We'll see if football recovers here soon from the whole #LIT-AF era. They always seem close in football but don't take the next step.
                    They've probably had one decent season in the past decade in 2014, when they "claimed" a share of the PSAC West title (which was a BS move, since Slippery Rock beat them head-to-head and represented the PSAC West in the State Game). Other than that...
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Do you think the football players and coaches work harder at their sport than the athletes and coaches in other sports?

Comment

Comment

Tale your dodge ball and go home...The playground's vibe will just get better...

Comment

Three D2 national tournament appearances in 10 years with two national championships (2012 and 2017) - especially in a sport where teams from the Northeast don't exactly excel on the national stage - is an amazing accomplishment. The interesting thing is that West Chester is the only team in the field of eight which has appeared in the national championship game in the past.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Tale your dodge ball and go home...The playground's vibe will just get better...
                              Last edited by IUPNation; 06-01-2022, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Three D2 national tournament appearances in 10 years with two national championships (2012 and 2017) - especially in a sport where teams from the Northeast don't exactly excel on the national stage - is an amazing accomplishment. The interesting thing is that West Chester is the only team in the field of eight which has appeared in the national championship game in the past.
                                Hopefully they add #3.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X