Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theoretically, McPASSHE East could win a PSAC championship in every sport it sponsors except football and men's basketball and they don't deserve it? Girl, please.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

EDIT - The press release may have said that the honor was as the PSAC's "top program", but this is not what the actual Dixon Trophy page says. At its core, "The F. Eugene Dixon Trophy is awarded by the PSAC to the member institution whose athletic program earns the best overall finish in conference championships and/or regular-season play." To me, that doesn't really make any judgment on what is the "best athletic program", merely which program has the top finishes in athletics overall.

And to be quite honest, how much attention does the Dixon Trophy really get? Outside of the annual thread, we never address it here. The football and basketball titles get much more attention among fans and media. So why not set up the trophy so that most of it is based on the rest of the sports?
      The Dixon probably doesn't get a lot of attention, but frankly how much attention do PSAC sports, including football and basketball, get outside the PSAC? My experience has been that they don't get much. At best, you're a big fish in a very small pond. I don't think it's something I'd get too worked up about, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
        In 18-19, the football champion was also the Dixon winner.
        In 17-18, the football champion finished second in the Dixon, and the Dixon winner finished second in football.
        Then it was legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The Dixon probably doesn't get a lot of attention, but frankly how much attention do PSAC sports, including football and basketball, get outside the PSAC? My experience has been that they don't get much. At best, you're a big fish in a very small pond. I don't think it's something I'd get too worked up about, but whatever.

Comment

Let it go, Nation.

Comment

Maybe IUP doesn't care about the "other" sports, but they got more Dixon points from men's cross country, men's golf, women's swimming, lacrosse, and women's tennis than they did from their football team.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                Maybe IUP doesn't care about the "other" sports, but they got more Dixon points from men's cross country, men's golf, women's swimming, lacrosse, and women's tennis than they did from their football team.

Comment

Joe dropped 103 on them. I can't imagine they've been smoked like that very often in their building.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Joe dropped 103 on them. I can't imagine they've been smoked like that very often in their building.
                    Last edited by IUPNation; 05-28-2022, 06:38 AM.

Comment

If you want to treat sports other than the big two as toss-asides, then don't expect to win a trophy that emphasizes all-around team excellence across the board.

Really all that needs to be said. A judgment that football is X amount more important than track & field is valid ONLY if you have no dog in the fight.

No, it's not even valid then. As said earlier, it's as important to Harry Hurdler as pass coverage is to Darby D-Back.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Really all that needs to be said. A judgment that football is X amount more important than track & field is valid ONLY if you have no dog in the fight.

No, it's not even valid then. As said earlier, it's as important to Harry Hurdler as pass coverage is to Darby D-Back.
                        If your school is a perennial loser in foosball you cannot claim to have a strong athletic department. Sorry.

Last edited by IUPNation; 05-29-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

If your school is a perennial loser in foosball you cannot claim to have a strong athletic department. Sorry.
                          Having a strong football team is not the same as having a strong athletic DEPARTMENT. If that were true, why have any other teams at all?

Comment

Interesting exchanges here. Some of the points are similar to those made about the Director's Cup. What's sad is that there is a decent financial award for the D1 winner but nothing for the D2and D3 crowd where a few bucks do make a difference.

Comment

At Gannon you can choose which team will get your support. 50% here & 30% there etc.
                              Last yr I gave 100% to WBB yr, before it was all WVB. Although I most enjoy Football I
                              haven't given them a penny in the last several years.

Comment

Having a strong football team is not the same as having a strong athletic DEPARTMENT. If that were true, why have any other teams at all?
                                Last edited by IUPNation; 05-30-2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X