Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

While the IUP Rule is unfortunately a part of our history, it would be nice to see a rule put in place that programs have to have a minimum number of scholarships to stay in the league -- say, at least 15 equivalencies.

I realize there are lots of loop holes in this equation (see: the Walks-Ons).

But, in reality, if your program can't get up to at least 15 equivalencies ... it's probably time to drop football or move down.

I've said forever, if you want to be a successful PSAC football coach, you better be top-notch at shaking hands and kissing babies -- and you better have a steady stream of coin flowing in to the football office. I'd go as far to say that you better be a better salesman than football coach. Money will buy you talented players who can often cover up some weaknesses in your coaching. However, low-budget players often cannot offset even great coaching when they are totally outmatched.

IUP went through back-to-back coaches who didn't thrive in fundraising (The Lou Tepper and Curt Cignetti). Both great technical coaches and X's and O's people, but in a league that requires you to raise your own scholarship money ... well, that wasn't their strong suit. Tepper hated it and Curt, well, wasn't the most likable guy in town.
    It would be nice to hear an equivalent argument that the state be required to fund PASSHE students at a minimum level. It would be a lot easier to fund sports teams with lower tuitions.

Comment

The other part of it (that the PSAC diehards don't like to hear) is this league has so many bad football teams that all it really does is prop up our few good teams to appear much better than they actually are.
      It also makes it hard for the top teams in the league to become competitive on the national level. If most of your games are against teams that are not good it creates a natural ceiling, regardless of money or anything else. I'm not even talking about the Clarions and Lock Havens. This year we saw most of the middle-of-the-road programs slip. Hopefully, that isn't the beginning of a trend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It would be nice to hear an equivalent argument that the state be required to fund PASSHE students at a minimum level. It would be a lot easier to fund sports teams with lower tuitions.
        It would also help level the playing field with the rest of the country. All the power programs that ***** and whine about the inclusion of SR1 in the final 4, they all receive state funding to help with their scholarships for athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Couldn't agree more. It's time a lot of this league look in the mirror and start working to actually TRY and field a competitive product (Lock Haven, Clarion) or just drop down to D3 already. A scholarship minimum for football should be mandatory. The IUP correction rule would have a nice ring to it.
          I don't think its a lack of will as much as its just a glass ceiling on external support. Most of our schools are in rural small towns with limited opportunities for sponsorships or community engagement and economies that are holding on for dear life just like the campuses are doing with enrollment. There's a lack of in-person support (attendance) that results in a lack of financial support. Hell its not even popular for football alumni to donate. Most of our alumni also are middle class earners - so fewer donors capable of 6-figure gifts especially ones that care enough about football at their school. Just as we're seeing attendance drop off, we're seeing fundraising slowly drop off. Longtime donors are dying and not being replaced by young donors. Every time tuition or fees are increased, those dollars lose effectiveness. I also think the oversaturation hurts - 100 major donors over 12 PASSHE football programs instead of 100 donors helping 6-10 programs like in some states.

IUP is absolutely seeing the benefits of community support around men's basketball. For several reasons its just not there for football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

IUP is absolutely seeing the benefits of community support around men's basketball. For several reasons its just not there for football.
            All true, however, I am ever the optimist. IUP had a pretty good football team this year while facing a lot of adversity. I think we'll have an even better team next year.

Comment

I don't think its a lack of will as much as its just a glass ceiling on external support. Most of our schools are in rural small towns with limited opportunities for sponsorships or community engagement and economies that are holding on for dear life just like the campuses are doing with enrollment. There's a lack of in-person support (attendance) that results in a lack of financial support. Hell its not even popular for football alumni to donate. Most of our alumni also are middle class earners - so fewer donors capable of 6-figure gifts especially ones that care enough about football at their school. Just as we're seeing attendance drop off, we're seeing fundraising slowly drop off. Longtime donors are dying and not being replaced by young donors. Every time tuition or fees are increased, those dollars lose effectiveness. I also think the oversaturation hurts - 100 major donors over 12 PASSHE football programs instead of 100 donors helping 6-10 programs like in some states.

Because the PASSHE schools historically have been state-supported, a lot of alums have never seen the need to donate much since they figure the state was taking care of that. That might have been true when state support was more than 60 percent in the year the PASSHE was formed, but it's far from true with the state providing under 25 percent of most PASSHE budgets now. But many are still under the mistaken belief that PASSHE is getting huge support from the state. Ship usually has one of the higher percentage rates of alumni giving in PASSHE, but it's still relatively patheic — probably about 7-8 percent of total alums. For donations that probably would be lucky to get me a couple of season tickets at Penn State, I'm one of the higher-level donors at Ship.

Comment

Because the PASSHE schools historically have been state-supported, a lot of alums have never seen the need to donate much since they figure the state was taking care of that. That might have been true when state support was more than 60 percent in the year the PASSHE was formed, but it's far from true with the state providing under 25 percent of most PASSHE budgets now. But many are still under the mistaken belief that PASSHE is getting huge support from the state. Ship usually has one of the higher percentage rates of alumni giving in PASSHE, but it's still relatively patheic — probably about 7-8 percent of total alums. For donations that probably would be lucky to get me a couple of season tickets at Penn State, I'm one of the higher-level donors at Ship.
                That 7-8 percent is donating a dollar or more. Any gift to any cause and can include straight to the school, to its foundation, to its Alumni Association. It can even be a "gift in kind" of a real thing donated (like a raffle basket for a golf outing or donating books to the library).

But giving and the source of scholarships is (stupidly) a mystery to most. Very few people know where scholarship money comes from, especially if its from a larger pool of funds. My family has an endowed scholarship at Edinboro and they get the name and a letter from the student who gets the money. But if your scholarship comes from the annual football golf outing...not the same thing. Plus most alumni (incorrectly) assume that there is a group of wealthy alumni who donate huge amounts of money - or even grossly overestimate the quantity and amount of alumni giving. I once saw a report that all but 2 or 3 PASSHE schools had a pool of 25-50 prospects who could give one 7-figure gift. But the likelihood was maybe 3-5 of them actually would.

Comment

That 7-8 percent is donating a dollar or more. Any gift to any cause and can include straight to the school, to its foundation, to its Alumni Association. It can even be a "gift in kind" of a real thing donated (like a raffle basket for a golf outing or donating books to the library).

But giving and the source of scholarships is (stupidly) a mystery to most. Very few people know where scholarship money comes from, especially if its from a larger pool of funds. My family has an endowed scholarship at Edinboro and they get the name and a letter from the student who gets the money. But if your scholarship comes from the annual football golf outing...not the same thing. Plus most alumni (incorrectly) assume that there is a group of wealthy alumni who donate huge amounts of money - or even grossly overestimate the quantity and amount of alumni giving. I once saw a report that all but 2 or 3 PASSHE schools had a pool of 25-50 prospects who could give one 7-figure gift. But the likelihood was maybe 3-5 of them actually would.
                  To put things in perspective with how the upper 1 percent live, Northwestern alum Dan Ryan's recent gift of $400 million to, among other things, help build a new football stadium at the school is not a whole lot less than total Pa. state support for PASSHE in an average year. One gift like Ryan's would to a PASSHE school would probably increase that school's endowment by about a factor of 10. One reason the Maryland had to join the Big 10 largely for financial regions is that they've done a terrible job of managing their endowment fund over the years. I believe their endowment is about $400 million, which would be great for a small school but is rather pathetic for a Big 10 school. I think Dickinson College actually has a larger endowment than that. Last I looked Michigan, which has the highest endowment in the Big 10, had about $16 billion, and Northwestern was second a couple of billion back.

Comment

To put things in perspective with how the upper 1 percent live, Northwestern alum Dan Ryan's recent gift of $400 million to, among other things, help build a new football stadium at the school is not a whole lot less than total Pa. state support for PASSHE in an average year. One gift like Ryan's would to a PASSHE school would probably increase that school's endowment by about a factor of 10. One reason the Maryland had to join the Big 10 largely for financial regions is that they've done a terrible job of managing their endowment fund over the years. I believe their endowment is about $400 million, which would be great for a small school but is rather pathetic for a Big 10 school. I think Dickinson College actually has a larger endowment than that. Last I looked Michigan, which has the highest endowment in the Big 10, had about $16 billion, and Northwestern was second a couple of billion back.
                    Maryland has a system-wide endowment that is just shy of $2 billion, but still the smallest in the Big Ten. I believe Michigan is up over $17B now. Part of this is their ability to achieve portfolio yields that are multiples more than what any of us experience. I can't find the article, but I recall that during the Great Recession when everyone's retirement accounts tanked, Harvard achieved a 21% return.

Comment

Two different animals -- to an extent. Joe has an incredible following for D2 basketball -- full of some heavy-hitter donors. And, of course, 'fully funded' in D2 basketball is just 10 equivalencies. Joe's program is also constantly out in the community.

A lot of Joe's core group aren't necessarily big football guys, either.

As for fan support, again, two different animals. IUP football crowds are just awful. I'm talking some of the worst I've ever seen. Even when they get 5,000 in there ... it still sucks. There's no energy. The atmosphere mirrors a funeral. Two big playoff games this year and the visitors each had more fans -- at Miller Stadium. That says it all.

Now, in January, February and March, the KCAC is probably the toughest venue in the Atlantic Region to play inside. It can be electric in there on Saturday nights. The crowd is on top of the floor. It's loud. And, effective Sunday, alcohol will be allowed throughout the entire KCAC -- including at your seats. That should spice things up even more (just bring an awful lot of money if you plan to drink).

I've said it for years (along with many other people) ... Joe's games feel like an event and are played in a mid-major arena. Tort's games, well, are far from the same environment.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                        All true, however, I am ever the optimist. IUP had a pretty good football team this year while facing a lot of adversity. I think we'll have an even better team next year.

If Tort can hit a few key pieces in the portal, yes, they should be very strong next year. They like to talk about 'All In' over there in that office. This off-season better be 'All In' because they have a window here. This is a 'go for it' year with a ton of upperclassmen returning. I'm expecting them to take a very small high school class this year. The talk I'm hearing is they know they are close and will likely take a large number of portal players. Granted, that doesn't always end well. Many teams will be breaking in new QBs next year while IUP is returning a very talented one.

Tort already has the luxury of two stars returning (Lockhart and Fowler) who missed all or most of this past season. Not to mention his All-American punter is also returning after sitting out this year with an injury.

But, if I've learned anything in all these years watching IUP football, ... a lot can happen in an offseason (good and bad). You'd surely think anybody entering the portal would have done so by now. It's been two weeks.

Expectations are high for 2023.

Comment

If Tort can hit a few key pieces in the portal, yes, they should be very strong next year. They like to talk about 'All In' over there in that office. This off-season better be 'All In' because they have a window here. This is a 'go for it' year with a ton of upperclassmen returning. I'm expecting them to take a very small high school class this year. The talk I'm hearing is they know they are close and will likely take a large number of portal players. Granted, that doesn't always end well. Many teams will be breaking in new QBs next year while IUP is returning a very talented one.

Tort already has the luxury of two stars returning (Lockhart and Fowler) who missed all or most of this past season. Not to mention his All-American punter is also returning after sitting out this year with an injury.

But, if I've learned anything in all these years watching IUP football, ... a lot can happen in an offseason (good and bad). You'd surely think anybody entering the portal would have done so by now. It's been two weeks.

Expectations are high for 2023.
                          Tort certainly has his work cut out for him. IUP used to be one of the more attractive landing spots for guys looking for a new home but now the new portal environment is going to make that a whole lot more difficult. But I believe they have some "cap room" to work with - I wonder if now IUP becomes an ideal location for low-FCS through JUCO.

Comment

Tort certainly has his work cut out for him. IUP used to be one of the more attractive landing spots for guys looking for a new home but now the new portal environment is going to make that a whole lot more difficult. But I believe they have some "cap room" to work with - I wonder if now IUP becomes an ideal location for low-FCS through JUCO.
                            He's already said they really aren't even pursuing D1 guys. That ship has largely sailed. Their portal model is to target D2 guys who have played a lot of D2 games.

I know they are looking for a WR to go with Lockhart and Ridley next year. A Marlon Cook type would be their target. Not saying they even call him but that type of player will be the target.

Comment

He's already said they really aren't even pursuing D1 guys. That ship has largely sailed. Their portal model is to target D2 guys who have played a lot of D2 games.

I know they are looking for a WR to go with Lockhart and Ridley next year. A Marlon Cook type would be their target. Not saying they even call him but that type of player will be the target.
                              Poaching from us lowly programs like that? How do you guys sleep at night?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Poaching from us lowly programs like that? How do you guys sleep at night?!?!
                                Open season once they hit portal. Free agency.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X