Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Sean Kerrigan picked as the long snapper. He is in the top 100 in the country and a four-star recruit, and the only long snapper that is ranked in the state of Pennsylvania.
    What's your source for this? Son of a former Edinboro player was a ranked long snapper playing in the WPIAL had multiple FBS offers. Maybe the players have to accept to be added?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What's your source for this? Son of a former Edinboro player was a ranked long snapper playing in the WPIAL had multiple FBS offers. Maybe the players have to accept to be added?
      They absolutely don't have to accept the offer. While it was once extremely prestigious, I'm not sure it's viewed quite the same way these days. Some players even get advised not to play in these types of games as their new coaches don't want them to risk injury. I think we'd be shocked to see how many kids decline these games -- even the 'big ones' like the 33.

Put it this way, if you have a 7-figure NIL QB recruit coming in this summer ... he sure as heck isn't playing in a meaningless all-star game.
      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-20-2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They absolutely have to accept the offer. While it was once extremely prestigious, I'm not sure it's viewed quite the same way these days. Some players even get advised not to play in these types of games as their new coaches don't want them to risk injury. I think we'd be shocked to see how many kids decline these games -- even the 'big ones' like the 33.

Put it this way, if you have a 7-figure NIL QB recruit coming in this summer ... he sure as heck isn't playing in a meaningless all-star game.
        It’s just another relic from a bygone era before money corrupted all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I had a typo. I meant to say they absolutely don't have to accept the offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They absolutely don't have to accept the offer. While it was once extremely prestigious, I'm not sure it's viewed quite the same way these days. Some players even get advised not to play in these types of games as their new coaches don't want them to risk injury. I think we'd be shocked to see how many kids decline these games -- even the 'big ones' like the 33.

Also I wonder how much state-side politics plays into this. Can't have a heavily WPIAL team without upsetting the SEPA crowd. I imagine if anyone its the rural PA kids that get screwed.

Comment

• Originally posted by RocknTheSnackBar View Post
              Small college guys never got invited to Big 33, was always for the top recruits. Not enough to fill a roster now?
              The reason we have FCS/D2 kids playing in the Big 33 all star game now is there are more national all star games and the top players in the state who get selected for the Nike, Addidas, US Army & Under Armour games aren't playing in that game not to mention NIL deals pretty much shut them down after January.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

The reason we have FCS/D2 kids playing in the Big 33 all star game now is there are more national all star games and the top players in the state who get selected for the Nike, Addidas, US Army & Under Armour games aren't playing in that game not to mention NIL deals pretty much shut them down after January.
                In a way it reminds me of (at the time) one of the most prestigious high basketball (national) all-star games that used to be played in Pittsburgh every year (The Dapper Dan).

In the 80s and 90s it was the coolest thing in the world. I have all the programs. The names who played in that game over the years were huge. Those were the glory days of the Big East. When they'd do player introductions with the lights out at the old Civic Arena and a Georgetown or Syracuse recruit would get announced, the place would boo like crazy.

Much like is happening to the Big 33, however, the biggest stars started going elsewhere. Near the end, the game was more '2-3-star' than '5-star'. And, as we know, not a lot of people are going to attend the Big 33 or tune in to watch a Bloomsburg recruit.

It's sad to see its demise. That was such a marquee attraction for so long.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

That's right, the Fighting Walkons started giving out free lunches and it all went to hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pine Ridge View Post

That's right, the Fighting Walkons started giving out free lunches and it all went to hell.
                    HA!!!

Comment

• From today's PG coverage:
                      There will be a new local presence in the Pitt football receiver room next fall. Benny Haselrig, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound wideout from Hampton announced last week that he will be joining Pat Narduzzi’s team next fall as a preferred walk-on.

Haselrig delivered a strong senior season for the Talbots last fall, catching 57 passes for 907 yards and 14 touchdowns. The Hampton standout had offers from numerous Division II schools — which include Wheeling, IUP, Edinboro and West Liberty — but instead chose to try his hand at college football’s highest level.
                      Wish him well and hope he makes the team so he can get a full ride - but otherwise won't be surprised if one day he regrets paying $35k a year instead of most likely nearly free at IUP or Edinboro just for "former Pitt football player" bragging rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        From today's PG coverage:

Wish him well and hope he makes the team so he can get a full ride - but otherwise won't be surprised if one day he regrets paying $35k a year instead of most likely nearly free at IUP or Edinboro just for "former Pitt football player" bragging rights.
                        Our teams could make a living just recruiting former D1 PWOs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X