Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

He's not going anywhere.

One of the stupidest things about PASSHE is that Athletic Directors are tenured non-teaching professors. He's a full professor with tenure. Unless someone proves he did something egregious or he's reassigned, you can't get rid of an AD. The job is too consequential to have so much protection.
    I would consider the decline of multiple teams under his watch egregious but I do understand that’s a subjective thing. Someone pointed out in this years annual Dixon Trophy argument thread that the Huskies have fallen quite a bit in those rankings compared to 10-12 years ago so this isn’t just a case of Sheptock flopping.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
      Deep bow in the direction of Kutztown and its fans. I'll be the first to admit I didn't remotely think today would play out like that, but the Golden Bears played like champions.
      Kutztown really revealed the vulnerability of Slippery Rock's rush defense. I don't know their actual weights, but Rock d-linemen looked small to me compared to the Kutztown o-line, and they got shoved around most of the game. Slippery Rock is obviously a considerably better all-round team than Ship this year, but I think I'd take our run defense compared to theirs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

D1 football is more and more a money-grubbing circus, which is why I'm largely done with it. Certainly Franklin can't get the kind of salary he does and not expect to get heat when he isn't beating the other conference big shots. Of course, I remember when Frank Solich and Bo Pelini were fired by Nebraska because they kept going 9-3. Pelini was fired with a 66-27 record. Nebraska has sucked ever since he was fired. Sometimes you'd better beware of what you wish for. When Oregon, Washington, and USC come into the B1G there are going to be some pissed-off fan bases after each season because there'll be about 6-7 teams each year who think they should win the B1G and only one of them will. Get ready for more anguished cries frin the disappointed fans of the football factories.
        Penn State is currently Georgia of the Mark Richt era. Very similar. The Bulldogs were consistently a two loss team that couldn’t get over the hump until Kirby Smart got there. Penn State overall is a massively successful program that happens to play not only the same conference as Michigan and Ohio State, but the same division. Still, you have to get in at least a couple times over this recent stretch and Franklin hasn’t. His record against those two schools is atrocious.

What the powers to be have to ask themselves is if they’re happy being 9-2 every year and playing in a top New Year’s Day bowl game, or do they want to make the playoff two out of every five years? If it’s the latter, I don’t know if Franklin is the horse to take them there, even with the expanded playoff on the horizon. As you pointed out, it’s really hard make it and it’s certainly not going to get easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Not a friendly night on the JoePa message boards.

That board makes this seem like a happy family.
          Nothing will change with James Tenandtwo.

well not for the better..he soon may be James Nineandthree or James Eightandfour going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

I would consider the decline of multiple teams under his watch egregious but I do understand that’s a subjective thing. Someone pointed out in this years annual Dixon Trophy argument thread that the Huskies have fallen quite a bit in those rankings compared to 10-12 years ago so this isn’t just a case of Sheptock flopping.
            Bloom men basketball did win last night matching the win total of last year. Looking at the coaches of the teams, they all looked like good candidates when they were hired. McFarland probably had a committee who made recommendations before the president signed off. However McFarland is the common denominator with the losing programs. He must write his own bio: https://buhuskies.com/staff-director...l-mcfarland/89

Comment

• Watched the playback of Michigan at JoePa. If you've ever wondered what football looked like in 1940, check it out. Drink a lot of coffee.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Watched the playback of Michigan at JoePa. If you've ever wondered what football looked like in 1940, check it out. Drink a lot of coffee.
                Most teams nowadays don't know how to play against 1940s football. That's why Michigan isn't doing too badly recently. Penn State is playing that way because their wide receivers just aren't that good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Bloom men basketball did win last night matching the win total of last year. Looking at the coaches of the teams, they all looked like good candidates when they were hired. McFarland probably had a committee who made recommendations before the president signed off. However McFarland is the common denominator with the losing programs. He must write his own bio: https://buhuskies.com/staff-director...l-mcfarland/89
                  Many moons ago when I was a student I got bored during a football off week and sent McFarland an email suggesting BU return to having a live husky mascot. Even though it was a dumb idea from a student he took time out of his day to respond with a thorough explanation of why we couldn’t plus a pair of pictures of old Roongos out of the BU archive (one of which is my current avatar). I always had a bit of a soft spot for him because of that but my patience has worn thin on the athletic front. Seemingly nice guy, probably defensible hiring process, terrible results.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

By egregious I mean unforgivable unethical or illegal conduct.

Comment

• Seriously, though. Find the PSAC app and watch the Haven- Boro game from yesterday. It was fun.

Comment

Because I follow wrestling I trace it back to when Stutzman left about 7 years ago and they hired a D2 assistant coach to be HC for their D1 wrestling program. D1 and D2 are completely different things in wrestling. Most people thought it was crazy and the results since then prove that it was bad. Right now, Bloom is officially a D1 program but on the mat they are not.

For football, they hired a respected alum with a background coaching high school and D3. Many people thought that wouldn't work out and it isn't. I don't know about BB or other sports but all of this points to the AD, in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Because I follow wrestling I trace it back to when Stutzman left about 7 years ago and they hired a D2 assistant coach to be HC for their D1 wrestling program. D1 and D2 are completely different things in wrestling. Most people thought it was crazy and the results since then prove that it was bad. Right now, Bloom is officially a D1 program but on the mat they are not.

For football, they hired a respected alum with a background coaching high school and D3. Many people thought that wouldn't work out and it isn't. I don't know about BB or other sports but all of this points to the AD, in my opinion.
                          I get it, but for the record: Stutzman was the assistant to Dan Wirnsberger. Stutzman's replacement was Mester who had assistant coaching positions at Central Michigan, University of Missouri, and University of Nebraska. He had a great career on the mat at Central Michigan. Last I checked he was a salesman. Mester's assistant coach was "D2 Gordon" who was his assistant for 3 years, before getting the job. Sometimes it's easier to hire from within, I guess.

As for Sheptock, I have never heard a coach talk who expressed more knowledge about his players and the game. He followed former Bloom assistant Demelfi to Wilkes where he acted as defensive coordinator 1990-95 and HC 1996-2014. I do believe the PSAC Champion Bears have a former D3 coach. The guy has the awards, including NCAA Division II Team of the Quarter Century (1973-97) and College Football Hall of Fame in 2007. I watched him as a great LB at Bloom, including the 1985 PSAC Championship win over IUP. Perhaps great players don't make great coaches.
                          Last edited by Bart; 11-12-2023, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I get it, but for the record: Stutzman was the assistant to Dan Wirnsberger. Stutzman's replacement was Mester who had assistant coaching positions at Central Michigan, University of Missouri, and University of Nebraska. He had a great career on the mat at Central Michigan. Last I checked he was a salesman. Mester's assistant coach was "D2 Gordon" who was his assistant for 3 years, before getting the job. Sometimes it's easier to hire from within, I guess.

As for Sheptock, I have never heard a coach talk who expressed more knowledge about his players and the game. He followed former Bloom assistant Demelfi to Wilkes where he acted as defensive coordinator 1990-95 and HC 1996-2014. I do believe the PSAC Champion Bears have a former D3 coach. The guy has the awards, including NCAA Division II Team of the Quarter Century (1973-97) and College Football Hall of Fame in 2007. I watched him as a great LB at Bloom, including the 1985 PSAC Championship win over IUP. Perhaps great players don't make great coaches.
                            To win at D2, you need to master coaching, recruiting, and fundraising. They may be even more critical in this conference. I can't speak to Sheptock but we often see guys come into this conference and fail. Rarely it's because they can't coach. In some rare instances, recruiting extremely well can overcome fundraising. The worst D2 head coach is one who tells you fundraising isn't his job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Most teams nowadays don't know how to play against 1940s football. That's why Michigan isn't doing too badly recently. Penn State is playing that way because their wide receivers just aren't that good.
                              ..and their coach sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                Seriously, though. Find the PSAC app and watch the Haven- Boro game from yesterday. It was fun.
                                The part I watched was entertaining…

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X