Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many years has the SR1 Final been all PSAC? I know last year and this year. Memory foggy beyond that point.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Winston-Salem State and the CIAA were part of SR1 when the Rams had their run in 2011 and 2012, defeating New Haven to win the region in 2011 (and Cal in the round prior) before falling to Wayne State (Mich.) in the semifinals and defeating IUP in 2012 on their way to a national title game appearance where they lost to Valdosta State.
      I remember Ship defeating Virginia Union, 40-27, in a 1981 playoff game at Richmond before being defeated by North Dakota State, 18-6, the next weekend in a game that was tied 6-6 at halftime. Ship had defeated James Madison during the regular season. Obviously the world of small college football has seriously changed since then.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        How many years has the SR1 Final been all PSAC? I know last year and this year. Memory foggy beyond that point.
        It's been the last three years for sure because 2021 was Bagent's Hail Mary at Kutztown.

Comment

That's wild. That means no team outside the PSAC has made the regional final since before the pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Within SR1 (our region) the PSAC is usually the strongest top to bottom.

That said, SR1 is widely considered the (by far) weakest region in D2.

The SR1 rep in the Final Four has a history of being blown out and is often considered by the other regions of being the 'bye' week in the Final Four. There have been exceptions but not many.

There have been next to no legit national title contenders in SR1 for a long time.

The 1993 IUP team (prior to the IUP Rule) came within seconds of winning it.

Clarion made the final game in 1996 and Shepherd did several years ago. Both lost.

Geographically, we have way too many schools (way too many peeps fishing the same pond). Our talent gets too spread.

Add to it about half the teams in SR1 don't put much effort in to football.

The PSAC will win a basketball title before it ever wins a football title.
            Buying this 100%. People outside SR 1 just can't wrap their heads around the glut if schools in SR 1. On my next vacation, I plan on doing some exhaustive research to try and explain it as easily as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              1981: Shippensburg lost 18-6
              I covered that game. That was the day when North Dakota State taught the East how the option was run to perfection. Pitchouts to trail backs five yards past the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Lenoir-Rhyne says that they are going to Harding on Twitter. That would leave Kutztown traveling to Mines.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I covered that game. That was the day when North Dakota State taught the East how the option was run to perfection. Pitchouts to trail backs five yards past the line of scrimmage.
                  I covered that game as well. It also helped that North Dakota State had a huge line (I think they had 290-pound tackles, which you didn't see often in small college football 40-some years ago) and played a great bend-but-don't-break defense. Even their QB, running backs, and DBs were big guys. Ship moved the ball well between the 30s, but couldn't push the ball in when coverage got tighter in the red zone. Ship defense played well, but finally got worn down. I got to several Ship games that year, including the win over James Madison, the State Game with Millersville, and the playoff win over Virginia Union. I remember the James Madison folks really getting hot when one of their receivers was called for a pick in the end zone, negating an apparent JMU touchdown. When I go by JMU on I-81 on occasion and catch a glimpse of their stadium, it's hard to believe Ship actually ever played them and beat them on more than one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                    When I go by JMU on I-81 on occasion and catch a glimpse of their stadium, it's hard to believe Ship actually ever played them and beat them on more than one occasion.
                    I’ve heard Shepherd and James Madison are tied in their matchups against each other. I would like to have seen a rematch to settle the score ~ 2013–2016. Now, I figure it’s probably best to leave the series tied.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Winston-Salem State and the CIAA were part of SR1 when the Rams had their run in 2011 and 2012, defeating New Haven to win the region in 2011 (and Cal in the round prior) before falling to Wayne State (Mich.) in the semifinals and defeating IUP in 2012 on their way to a national title game appearance where they lost to Valdosta State.
                      I can never forget that year when Winston Salem State just dropped from D1 the previous year and there were many, many D1 caliber players still on that 2011 team. Winston Salem, in my opinion, definitely had the advantage. New Haven also had one NC run in which they defeated Slippery Rock, Ferris State and Cal-Davis before loosing to Norther Colorado in the championship game.

Comment

Not the correct thread but regardless, the Pittsburg State HC has accepted the same job at Northern Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post

I’ve heard Shepherd and James Madison are tied in their matchups against each other. I would like to have seen a rematch to settle the score ~ 2013–2016. Now, I figure it’s probably best to leave the series tied.
                          Yeah, Don't repeat Shippensburg's mistake. The Ship-James Madison series actually was tied at 5-5 when basically came to an end in the mid-'80s, but for some reason Ship decided to play them again in 1996 long after JMU had moved up a division. The Raiders took a 30-0 pounding in that one, so now that series stands at 5-6, and I assume that's where it will remain.

Comment

It wasn’t that long ago Bloomsburg battled JMU kind of like what IUP did to Youngstown State.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                              It wasn’t that long ago Bloomsburg battled JMU kind of like what IUP did to Youngstown State.
                              2006 L, 3-14 Long, long time ago,
                              'Cause the players tried to take the field The marching band refused to yield

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

2006 L, 3-14 Long, long time ago,
                                'Cause the players tried to take the field The marching band refused to yield
                                I thought it was like 2012…didnt seem that long ago.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X