Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week Zero approved for D II Football

Division II's football-sponsoring delegates at Saturday's business session of the 2024 NCAA Convention narrowly approved a proposal that permits schools to play their first permissible contest one week earlier than the current legislative date. The proposal is effective Aug. 1.

Another football proposal that would have guaranteed all football-sponsoring conferences representation in the championship bracket was defeated by one vote. That proposal was also voted on only by football-sponsoring delegates.

The full Division II delegate body approved two other proposals with legislative changes to championships.

Football-only proposals

The membership-sponsored proposal amending the first permissible football contest date to a week before the Thursday preceding Sept. 6 was approved by an 89-80 vote margin, with one abstention. Rationale of support for the proposal included providing schools with the flexibility to schedule and play the maximum allowable 11 contests over a 12-week period, if desired, and decreasing the burden of finding available nonconference opponents. Supporters of the proposal noted this change will provide the ability to schedule a bye week during the season, which will benefit student-athlete health and safety. The first permissible practice date will be 24 days before a school's first contest or 10 days before the school's first day of classes, whichever is earlier.

The Division II Student-Athlete Advisory Committee opposed the proposal, citing concerns that football players' summers will be reduced and include less time for internships. Davaris Cheeks, former football player at Concordia-St. Paul and member of Division II SAAC, spoke against the safety merits of the proposal during the business session.

"The bye week is not a true week off as practices would likely still be required by coaches," Cheeks said. "This legislation poses a misconception that football student-athletes would get a week off. However, it would be an extension of the season, and it would add additional practices, increasing the possibility of injury for football student-athletes."

The other football proposal, sponsored by the Division II Presidents Council, was defeated by an 83-84 vote margin. The proposal would have amended earned access legislation to require representation in the championship bracket from all football-sponsoring conferences by including the highest-ranked team in a conference not already represented in the bracket. Currently, earned access legislation in football only applies if a conference is not represented in the bracket and has a team ranked within the top nine of a super region.

I like it.

Comment

I didn't like it until I heard it was to help with non conference games. That sold it for me.

Comment

Basically a non issue for Pee Sack schools..was not a proposal we needed..

Comment

Come on KU, schedule a non-conference opponent that isn't Assumption

Comment

Now how about a 9 game conference slate and opportunities for 2 OOC games.

Comment

Just an opportunity to schedule a money game vs an FCS team. Don't know who they are trying to fool by their "it's for the good of the players" explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                Now how about a 9 game conference slate and opportunities for 2 OOC games.
                It's challenging to find one game let alone two.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's challenging to find one game let alone two.
                  Always have the fall back option of scheduling a crossover. I think its overblown on how hard it is to schedule. The PSAC is flanked in all directions by other conferences that have needs for OOC opponents. The "hard" part is finding the perfect fit on what you want that opponent to be. IUP and Ashland or games of that ilk need to happen with more frequency. I'll give credit to Kutztown as well for scheduling an Assumption program that is usually a playoff contender.

Shepherd and Rock need to take some chances. Nobody cares that you beat the worst team in the GLIAC in Wayne St, same goes for Shepherd and the SCSU types. Bowie State is always looking for a game, the whole GMAC and GLIAC are looking for opponents. The NE10 sometimes is playing the same team twice in a season...

Go to a 9 game conference slate, only need to schedule 1 OOC like has always been the option. This would give schools the option for 2 instead. If Gannon and Millersville can't find a game... then play each other as a last resort.

Comment

Always have the fall back option of scheduling a crossover. I think its overblown on how hard it is to schedule. The PSAC is flanked in all directions by other conferences that have needs for OOC opponents. The "hard" part is finding the perfect fit on what you want that opponent to be. IUP and Ashland or games of that ilk need to happen with more frequency. I'll give credit to Kutztown as well for scheduling an Assumption program that is usually a playoff contender.

Shepherd and Rock need to take some chances. Nobody cares that you beat the worst team in the GLIAC in Wayne St, same goes for Shepherd and the SCSU types. Bowie State is always looking for a game, the whole GMAC and GLIAC are looking for opponents. The NE10 sometimes is playing the same team twice in a season...

Go to a 9 game conference slate, only need to schedule 1 OOC like has always been the option. This would give schools the option for 2 instead. If Gannon and Millersville can't find a game... then play each other as a last resort.
                    I think finding an available team is one thing. The challenge is the cost. There are schools out west and down south that always seem to have openings but its cost prohibitive to take a football team from Pennsylvania to Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think finding an available team is one thing. The challenge is the cost. There are schools out west and down south that always seem to have openings but its cost prohibitive to take a football team from Pennsylvania to Texas.
                      Texas is one thing... Virginia or Ohio/Michigan is another. It's quite doable.

GMAC/NE10/GLIAC are scrambling every year to fill their schedules. None of those are plane rides.

Comment

Texas is one thing... Virginia or Ohio/Michigan is another. It's quite doable.

GMAC/NE10/GLIAC are scrambling every year to fill their schedules. None of those are plane rides.
                        As you implied, it takes two to tango. Most of our top programs prefer to play the biggest weakling they can find.

The year IUP couldn't find an 11th game, they got turned down by everybody around (Charleston, Glenville State, etc.).

Those long bus rides to Michigan, etc., still come with a heavy price tag - food, travel, two nights hotel, etc.

It would be neat to see more OOC games ... I just don't see it happening. Our schools are broke (and about half could care less about football aside from the enrollment boost).

Comment

As you implied, it takes two to tango. Most of our top programs prefer to play the biggest weakling they can find.

The year IUP couldn't find an 11th game, they got turned down by everybody around (Charleston, Glenville State, etc.).

Those long bus rides to Michigan, etc., still come with a heavy price tag - food, travel, two nights hotel, etc.

It would be neat to see more OOC games ... I just don't see it happening. Our schools are broke (and about half could care less about football aside from the enrollment boost).
                          The MEC has an unwritten rule against scheduling PSAC schools if they can avoid it. I do understand the takes 2 to tango situation. I'm just implying there are a lot more schools in our 300 mile radius then we think.

Comment

The MEC has an unwritten rule against scheduling PSAC schools if they can avoid it. I do understand the takes 2 to tango situation. I'm just implying there are a lot more schools in our 300 mile radius then we think.
                            Reid will be butt-hurt forever about losing his football golden goose under his watch.

Comment

To make matters worse, there used to be several FCS and NAIA programs (like Shepherd) that routinely played PSAC schools but FCS is now focused on playing FBS mercenary paycheck games and most of the NAIA programs went DIII. I'd prefer to see a full schedule including a DIII program but that's my hill to die on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X