Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta State at West Florida

The real games begin this week when undefeated Delta State travels to West Florida to open the GSC schedule for both teams at the Argos new on-campus home stadium where the Argos are 2-0. The weather forecast is perfect for the 6 p.m. kickoff with no rain, slight breezes and temps in the low 70's. This will be Delta's fourth consecutive road game (totaling over 2,600 round trip miles) to open the season and you have to wonder if the Okra are a little overcooked by this Saturday.

Delta has never seen this new home stadium, but the Argos know it well, having practiced and played on it for over 6 years. The stadium is a more conventional layout compared to Blue Wahoo, but the stands are a little unconventional in that the visiting stands behind the Delta bench will be filled with the Argo band and loud students and Argo fans. The student presence and numbers are larger and louder here than at Blue Wahoo and I don't know if the Statesmen will be expecting or prepared for a surround sound of loud Argo fans and students cheering and now booing in a coordinated fashion.

Delta won the first two games in this series with the Argos winning the last three including a school record comeback last year. The teams played twice at Blue Wahoo with Delta winning a nail biter 25-23 in 2017 and the Argos winning 48-3 in a near perfect performance in 2019. Both team have won easily over their over-matched opponents this season with the Statesmen using a balanced offense and the Argos going pass heavy in their first game and run heavy in their second game. Both have played a GLVC team (McEndree and SW Baptist) that were evenly matched last year (McEndree won 45-43) and possess a strong passing game. The Statesmen gave up nearly 400 yards passing to their opponent and the Argos limited theirs to under 200 yards. You can expect the Argos coaches will exploit this apparent weakness with the Argos strong passing game.

The Argos lost their championship QB Reed to D1 Western Kentucky, but his replacement Pee-Wee Jarret is bigger (6'3", 245 lbs.), has a bigger arm, runs over people and is actually more efficient as a QB than Reed. You can expect a lot more designed run plays with Pee-Wee and he is a better scrambler out of the pocket than Reed. The Argos coaches will remember being burned by the Delta QB Shegog last year for 450 yds. and I'm sure they will be better prepared this year.

So far this year the Argos have scored more and given up fewer points than the Statesmen, but they have played weaker opponents and one fewer game with one at home. A much easier schedule than the Statesmen 3 consecutive road games against stronger opposition. Stats wise the Statesmen run for 30 more yards and the Argos pass for 10 yards more, but the Argos run and pass for more per play. The Argo also give up less on D by over a hundred yards, but against lesser opponents. They are pretty equal on special teams and making sacks, but the Argos give up fewer sacks and have picked a couple of more balls in one fewer game.

The Argos roster has more upperclassmen (49 to 33) and more linemen (43 to 29) and the linemen have more upperclassmen (17 to 11) than the Statesmen. It will be interesting to see how this numbers and experience advantage plays out over the game. Everything points to an Argo victory, but Delta has shown in the past that they can beat the Argos at home and in Pensacola despite any apparent roster deficiencies. I think the road schedule, the new Argo stadium and Pee-Wee will be too much for the Okra to overcome this week and the Argos will open their GSC schedule with a 10 point win. Gooo Arrrgggooosss!!!
    Last edited by Argonut; 09-18-2022, 09:40 AM.

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
    The real games begin this week when undefeated Delta State travels to West Florida to open the GSC schedule for both teams at the Argos new on-campus home stadium where the Argos are 2-0. The weather forecast is perfect for the 6 p.m. kickoff with no rain, slight breezes and temps in the low 70's. This will be Delta's fourth consecutive road game (totaling over 2,600 round trip miles) to open the season and you have to wonder if the Okra are a little overcooked by this Saturday.

Delta has never seen this new home stadium, but the Argos know it well, having practiced and played on it for over 6 years. The stadium is a more conventional layout compared to Blue Wahoo, but the stands are a little unconventional in that the visiting stands behind the Delta bench will be filled with the Argo band and loud students and Argo fans. The student presence and numbers are larger and louder here than at Blue Wahoo and I don't know if the Statesmen will be expecting or prepared for a surround sound of loud Argo fans and students cheering and now booing in a coordinated fashion.

Delta won the first two games in this series with the Argos winning the last three including a school record comeback last year. The teams played twice at Blue Wahoo with Delta winning a nail biter 25-23 in 2017 and the Argos winning 48-3 in a near perfect performance in 2019. Both team have won easily over their over-matched opponents this season with the Statesmen using a balanced offense and the Argos going pass heavy in their first game and run heavy in their second game. Both have played a GLVC team (McEndree and SW Baptist) that were evenly matched last year (McEndree won 45-43) and possess a strong passing game. The Statesmen gave up nearly 400 yards passing to their opponent and the Argos limited theirs to under 200 yards. You can expect the Argos coaches will exploit this apparent weakness with the Argos strong passing game.

The Argos lost their championship QB Reed to D1 Western Kentucky, but his replacement Pee-Wee Jarret is bigger (6'3", 245 lbs.), has a bigger arm, runs over people and is actually more efficient as a QB than Reed. You can expect a lot more designed run plays with Pee-Wee and he is a better scrambler out of the pocket than Reed. The Argos coaches will remember being burned by the Delta QB Shegog last year for 450 yds. and I'm sure they will be better prepared this year.

So far this year the Argos have scored more and given up fewer points than the Statesmen, but they have played weaker opponents and one fewer game with one at home. A much easier schedule than the Statesmen 3 consecutive road games against stronger opposition. Stats wise the Statesmen run for 30 more yards and the Argos pass for 10 yards more, but the Argos run and pass for more per play. The Argo also give up less on D by over a hundred yards, but against lesser opponents. They are pretty equal on special teams and making sacks, but the Argos give up fewer sacks and have picked a couple of more balls in one fewer game.

The Argos roster has more upperclassmen (49 to 33) and more linemen (43 to 29) and the linemen have more upperclassmen (17 to 11) than the Statesmen. It will be interesting to see how this numbers and experience advantage plays out over the game. Everything points to an Argo victory, but Delta has shown in the past that they can beat the Argos at home and in Pensacola despite any apparent roster deficiencies. I think the road schedule, the new Argo stadium and Pee-Wee will be too much for the Okra to overcome this week and the Argos will open their GSC schedule with a 10 point win. Gooo Arrrgggooosss!!!
    WOW! If I was DSU, I'd save gas money and stay at home! There's NO WAY they can beat this super Argo team.... HELL, they've never seen the new field!!! That alone dooms them.

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

WOW! If I was DSU, I'd save gas money and stay at home! There's NO WAY they can beat this super Argo team.... HELL, they've never seen the new field!!! That alone dooms them.

Didn’t you know that Argo cheering and booing makes the Penn Air field turf monster hungry for Okra?

Comment

Massey rating has UWF # 7 and DSU #12 (right behind UWG #11). My thought is DSU likely too high at this time. BIG test for DSU.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post
          Massey rating has UWF # 7 and DSU #12 (right behind UWG #11). My thought is DSU likely too high at this time. BIG test for DSU.
          I agree and the turf monster will probably get them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltadog72 View Post

I agree and the turf monster will probably get them anyway.
            Only hope for DSU is Okra is very slippery. LOL

That whole Argo testimonial reminded me of the Will Hall Days of UWG. Sometimes objects in the mirror are MUCH CLOSER than they appear.

Comment

Only hope for DSU is Okra is very slippery. LOL

That whole Argo testimonial reminded me of the Will Hall Days of UWG. Sometimes objects in the mirror are MUCH CLOSER than they appear.
              Don’t be a turtle Larold, stick your neck out and give us your well reasoned analysis of who will win and the spread. I’d love to hear who you think will win and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Don’t be a turtle Larold, stick your neck out and give us your well reasoned analysis of who will win and the spread. I’d love to hear who you think will win and why.
                Turtle, that sounds (some of it anyway) like what some have called me over the years. I used turtle oil on my hair for years as a hair loss preventive. My hair still fell out, but at a much slower pace.

UWF wins this game. There are just too many reasons to make a list, so I'll list just one. COACH.

Comment

Turtle, that sounds (some of it anyway) like what some have called me over the years. I used turtle oil on my hair for years as a hair loss preventive. My hair still fell out, but at a much slower pace.

UWF wins this game. There are just too many reasons to make a list, so I'll list just one. COACH.
                  I thought the same thing. As someone said previously of early results you’re likely not as good or as bad as you think. Likely most teams haven’t been tested quite like what is ahead of them. I did notice one MIAA team had a big gauntlet their first four games. However Shinnick is a top knotch coach and you better be ready.

Comment

This will be DSU's 4th road game, in 4 different states, in 4 different conferences. I like the team this year. They are better than last year, but I feel like the team last year didn't play to their potential. I'm sure if I looked at the pick'em everyone has this in a blowout. If the defense will play two halves and not one, it will be close. If it's close at the end of the game, I like our chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post
                      This will be DSU's 4th road game, in 4 different states, in 4 different conferences. I like the team this year. They are better than last year, but I feel like the team last year didn't play to their potential. I'm sure if I looked at the pick'em everyone has this in a blowout. If the defense will play two halves and not one, it will be close. If it's close at the end of the game, I like our chances.
                      Keeping the game close and winning at the end is exactly how Delta beat the Argos in 2017 when they blocked a long FG attempt by the Argos at the end of the game and flipped the score to win. I don't know if we are going to see that type of game or another high scoring affair like last year. Both teams offenses have had their way with their opponents D so far this year, but both face a real GSC defense for the first time this Saturday. A high scorer probably favors the Argos and a low scorer the Statesmen.

Comment

Am I right in thinking Delta has not made the playoffs since 2014?

Comment

Originally posted by Will Call View Post
                          Am I right in thinking Delta has not made the playoffs since 2014?
                          RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                          Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post
                            Didn't realize that, but they do have home games against UWG, UWA & VSU.

Comment

Originally posted by vsukerosene View Post

Didn't realize that, but they do have home games against UWG, UWA & VSU.
                              They have home games of UWG, UWA, VSU and UWA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X