Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
    The Argos have done H/H with good teams a fair distance away (C-N and TAMC) and I would hope coach Shinnick would be open to the same with GV. Would love to see that game here to open the season. It would be like a playoff atmosphere to kick off the season, especially if it was a rematch from this year’s playoffs.
    As a fan, who wouldn't love it. Now as a coach.. tough tough game. Not much different than the opening week we had with Mines this season. And we go there in '23. Here's hoping that most teams get to have one quality OOC opponent.

Comment

I hated that the DSU series wasn't as competitive. It just wasn't a good couple of years for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

As a fan, who wouldn't love it. Now as a coach.. tough tough game. Not much different than the opening week we had with Mines this season. And we go there in '23. Here's hoping that most teams get to have one quality OOC opponent.
        I really hope they renew that Mines series. I would love for this to become a must watch to start the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
          The Argos have done H/H with good teams a fair distance away (C-N and TAMC) and I would hope coach Shinnick would be open to the same with GV. Would love to see that game here to open the season. It would be like a playoff atmosphere to kick off the season, especially if it was a rematch from this year’s playoffs.
          Carson Newman's outstanding former Coach Sparks used to try and schedule at least one long distant regular season opponent every year, such as Winona State up in Minnesota, Bentley up in Massachusetts, and Dixie State in Utah, to name a few. The players loved it and it helped boost his recruiting in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post
            I hated that the DSU series wasn't as competitive. It just wasn't a good couple of years for us.
            Not competitive in what way?

7-3 GVSU going into half
            14-10 GVSU going into 4th
            21-10 Final GVSU

17-7 DSU going into half
            17-14 DSU going into 4th
            24-28 Final GVSU

Neither was a blow out. Sure, it would’ve been nice to see Delta win one of the games, but it’s not like Delta was some sorry team getting blown out.
            RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
            Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

They should look into the GLVC. Delta has played McKendree the last two seasons and will play Missouri S&T this season. I know it’s not SR2, but at least it’s D2 opponents.

The GSC commissioner, along with the school’s ADs, should be contacting other small conferences that need non-conference games. Hopefully the commissioner and ADs are doing that. Need to be proactive before those dates are filled.

Obviously I’m an outsider looking in, so I’m not sure what goes on behind closed doors or how any of the scheduling works. Hopefully these ADs aren’t just expecting/waiting for emails. They need to be sending emails, too. Just some of my thoughts. Thoughts for all GSC teams.
              I'm just happy to hear the GSC HAS a commisioner. Must be a new hire. Proactive scheduling should be a continual activity. It may be and they( he/she) choose to keep this type activity
              under wraps. I can see why,with the lack of success they(he/she) seem to generate.

I've been asking for a "A STATE OF THE CONFERENCE" REPORT for sometime. Who is in charge? Who does what? Is there a Five Year Plan? a One Year Plan? Six Months?

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

I'm just happy to hear the GSC HAS a commisioner. Must be a new hire. Proactive scheduling should be a continual activity. It may be and they( he/she) choose to keep this type activity
                under wraps. I can see why,with the lack of success they(he/she) seem to generate.

I've been asking for a "A STATE OF THE CONFERENCE" REPORT for sometime. Who is in charge? Who does what? Is there a Five Year Plan? a One Year Plan? Six Months?
                And.....how can the conference help schools attract more students?

And.....when was the last time a GSC rep visited one of your school's sporting events?

#BlazerNation

Comment

Presently, just north of GSC's regional footprint, you have 5 Division 2 Conference Carolinas football programs split up between 4 different conferences with scheduling alliances etc. Probably wouldn't take to much convincing for part (or all) of these programs to join NGU in alliance or football only membership with the GSC. You could potentially have a GSC Northern Division, with a rotation of games scheduled to keep travel cost down for the teams furthest apart.
                  No more struggling to fill your schedules each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                    Presently, just north of GSC's regional footprint, you have 5 Division 2 Conference Carolinas football programs split up between 4 different conferences with scheduling alliances etc. Probably wouldn't take to much convincing for part (or all) of these programs to join NGU in alliance or football only membership with the GSC. You could potentially have a GSC Northern Division, with a rotation of games scheduled to keep travel cost down for the teams furthest apart.
                    No more struggling to fill your schedules each year.
                    SOUNDS GREAT
                    I'm hoping Elon Musk buys The GSC

Comment

Idk what the schedules look like, but moving forward the SAC will only have OOC games the first two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                        Idk what the schedules look like, but moving forward the SAC will only have OOC games the first two weeks.
                        Same with the CIAA of course. I was about to say the SIAC will be the same, but (just like the NSIC) the odd number doesn't permit everyone to play every week so the eight-game conference schedule will take more than eight weeks and have bye weeks. So the GSC won't be the only conference in SR4 with OOC openings after week 2.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

Not competitive in what way?

7-3 GVSU going into half
                          14-10 GVSU going into 4th
                          21-10 Final GVSU

17-7 DSU going into half
                          17-14 DSU going into 4th
                          24-28 Final GVSU

Neither was a blow out. Sure, it would’ve been nice to see Delta win one of the games, but it’s not like Delta was some sorry team getting blown out.
                          I guess my brain was remember the seasons as a whole, and not the individual game. I mean, if you were GVSU would you schedule DSU again with the possibility of them going 2-8. It doesn’t help you at all.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                            I don’t see how a school under 1k students can afford to play D2 football. That’s wild to me.

But to your point, the GSC should invite NGU and UNCP as full members. Pembroke with over 7k students is huge playing all those tiny schools.
                            Would football travel be that much different for UNCP in the GSC compared to their current football home in the Mountain East?
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                              I don't know how Chowan feels, if they like it in the CIAA or not.
                              As far as football goes, they're probably content to stay where they are right now (though their division features long trips to Bowie - near Washington, DC - and Lincoln - between Baltimore and Philly). It's more a case of the CIAA needing Chowan in football rather than Chowan football needing the CIAA from a numbers perspective. One key reason why they moved most of their sports from the CIAA to Conference Carolinas was because ConfCar sponsored some sports which the CIAA didn't and it made more sense to move most of the remaining teams (other than football) to ConfCar.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Would football travel be that much different for UNCP in the GSC compared to their current football home in the Mountain East?
                                My friend over at UNC-P told me that they traveled to some of the MEC conference games, making the trips to Notre Dame College in Northern Ohio, (a short distance from Lake Erie) which was a drive of around 9 and a half hours (over 600 miles), and also attended the Wheeling vs UNCP game which was a drive of almost 8 - 1/2 hours, around 540 miles. He said that those away games only come around every other year. So yes, they are used to traveling for half of their scheduled games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X