Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early CN HC Rumblings

According to a close source (friend of over 30 years) who also is a close friend of AD Matt Pope whispered to me that LR Passing Game Coordinator Tim Foster is on the short list to replace Mike Turner. This would be a large blow to the Bears with the potential loss of Drew Cronic to Mercer.

Thatd be interesting. I'm interested to see what happens because people i know seem to feel that it has to be a Carson-newman guy. I dont exactly feel that way, I want the guy whose the best coach regardless but I know a lot of people who want that.

Comment

Hiring a CN guy wouldn't shock anyone. But Foster is a major up and comer and is seen by many as Cronics right hand man. He also holds LRs recruiting purse strings with deep ties into GA. That Eagles offense would accelerate even more than it has with him at the helm.

Comment

So far it seems like there are 4 names I've heard mentioned from different people. No idea if there is any validity to any of these names or even realistic possibilities, but they are names I have heard mentioned from different people:

1. Foster from LR
        2. Joey King, CN alum and current WR coach at Coastal.
        3. George Quarles, former Maryville coach and current OC at Furman (least likely of the 4 IMO)
        4. Mike Clowney- currently on staff at CN

Only thing with Clowney is I know that there was a small rumor he could have replaced Sparks, at least 5 people I know who are athletic donors voiced their opinion that they didnt want him as HC. Partially because when he was CN defensive coordinator the Eagles had the worst defenses in school history. I love Mike personally

Comment

I've also heard someone mention the coach at Alcoa, which I wouldnt understand. Why hire another old guy lol

Comment

I feel this hire is critical to the future of Carson-Newman football going forward, CN has to cast wide net to get the best available head coach - looking to the future while remembering the tradition that got us here.

But I have to be honest, CN football has been average (by CN standards) for the last decade, and its time to correct this.

George Quarles, is interesting. To me Joey King makes a lot of sense being a former CN QB, coached powerhouse Cartersville (Trevor Lawrence head coach) and now some college exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by CNCEagle97 View Post

But I have to be honest, CN football has been average (by CN standards) for the last decade, and its time to correct this.
              This too has bothered me. Unfortunately, back a few years ago when the SAC did away with the self imposed handicap of limiting schools to a maximum of 25 football scholarships per program, it didn't impose a conference minimum per program.

I thought for sure that at least 4 or 5 programs (especially CN) would immediately move towards the NCAA D2 recommended 36 scholarships, but word is that as of yet, this has not happened. In one case, it appears as though one of the SAC's school's AD decided to reel in the number, instead of expanding. If you communicate with your AD, ask where your school presently stands, and why.

Imagine if LR's Coach Cronic had 11 or more scholarships to build the Bear's program, well I believe we would be talking about the Bears moving forward in the playoffs instead of the Bears sitting at home asking what if. Also, imagine D1 programs such as Notre Dame or Miami consistently operating with at least 31% below the D1 number of 85 scholarships, (which would be 59) do you think they would ever really be able to compete for a National Championship? Frankly, I believe the conference has been lucky some years operating under the 'blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn concept, to get as far as they have sometimes in the NCAA D2 Football Playoffs.

While the SAC scholarship cap was successfully lobbied for being discontinued, it's time for the SAC to impose a minimum standard of at least 28 (8 below the NCAA D2 max of 36) per program to remain in good standing with the conference as a legitimate D2 football program. Then we can eliminate at least most of the 'what ifs'.

Comment

I have been a part of the Eagle family for most of my life and I must say this team has been below average for our pedigree. Too many think Clowney might be the obvious "one of us" guys to fill this spot. But, there is some fire to the Tim Foster smoke. My conversations with some upper brass have mentioned they want a splash hire who will bring a lot of energy to the program. They don't see him as a guy looking at CN as a stepping stone, but someone that will build and win for years. He has ties to the region, it makes sense.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LR1891 View Post
                    According to a close source (friend of over 30 years) who also is a close friend of AD Matt Pope whispered to me that LR Passing Game Coordinator Tim Foster is on the short list to replace Mike Turner. This would be a large blow to the Bears with the potential loss of Drew Cronic to Mercer.
                    Would really surprise me, he could be the next LR coach, or head to Mercer, seems like CN would be his 3rd choice. Don't mean that in a disrespectful way, just doesn't seem like the best option for him.

Comment

I hear some alums are pitching Doug Malone, now OC at Tennessee Tech. He's a former CN All American 1982 who has been a head coach and coached in the CFL.

Comment

I just dont see Malone as a big time home run hire personally. When he was the HC at Wingate he had 1 winning season.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Fernandez View Post
                          I hear some alums are pitching Doug Malone, now OC at Tennessee Tech. He's a former CN All American 1982 who has been a head coach and coached in the CFL.
                          No Thanks, his Wingate teams were not very good

Comment

and the other thing with Malone...yet another old guy. Dude graduated from CN before I was born.

My boss whose worked here at CN for 23 years said Malone would be a good hire...for a position coach job only. Hes not a good HC candidate

Comment

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post

Would really surprise me, he could be the next LR coach, or head to Mercer, seems like CN would be his 3rd choice. Don't mean that in a disrespectful way, just doesn't seem like the best option for him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X