Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldBison View Post

Do you know if Pitt or Missouri Western were offered the opportunity to play in the Live United Bowl? Both beat ESU during the season. I know Pitt played the LUB before. Not sure about Missouri Western.
    Missouri Western played in this bowl game in 2018 and 2019 according to their PBP announcer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
      Does any one know if the Live United or Heritage bowls were offered to Ouachita, Henderson or ECU? I think all were worthy of consideration and would have brought in plenty of supportive fans and students.

Comment

Okay, I think a couple of things need to be cleared up about the bowl games.

1) The Live United has an auto-berth agreement to take the "best non-playoff team" from the GAC. However, the team has the right to decline the bowl bid, like Henderson did in 2014. It would appear that both Ouachita and Henderson declined the bid, so Southeastern was next in line and they accepted.

2) The Heritage Bowl does not have any auto-berths, both teams are selected at-large. That means the Heritage Bowl can offer a bid to whomever they want. They are not required to extend an invite to GAC teams in order of conference finish.

Having said all that, as a GAC guy at heart, I would rather have two teams that want to be at the bowl games, than two teams that have no desire to be there.

Comment

Neither Ouachita nor Henderson has anything to gain from a bowl appearance. Their brands of excellence are well-established, and they would needlessly risk injury to their players. Both SE and OKBU can burnish their brands with bowl victories and use that to improve recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeroyJenkins View Post
            Neither Ouachita nor Henderson has anything to gain from a bowl appearance. Their brands of excellence are well-established, and they would needlessly risk injury to their players. Both SE and OKBU can burnish their brands with bowl victories and use that to improve recruiting.
            No, it's called Quachita and Henderson are being pathetic little cry babies because you all didn't get to play in the playoffs. Then again, it's probably a good thing you all aren't playing because we all know both teams would lose in the bowl games. After all, the Quachita and Henderson brands have shown great excellence in demonstrating how a team gets their derriere whooped on the national stage consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post
              Okay, I think a couple of things need to be cleared up about the bowl games.

1) The Live United has an auto-berth agreement to take the "best non-playoff team" from the GAC. However, the team has the right to decline the bowl bid, like Henderson did in 2014. It would appear that both Ouachita and Henderson declined the bid, so Southeastern was next in line and they accepted.

2) The Heritage Bowl does not have any auto-berths, both teams are selected at-large. That means the Heritage Bowl can offer a bid to whomever they want. They are not required to extend an invite to GAC teams in order of conference finish.

Having said all that, as a GAC guy at heart, I would rather have two teams that want to be at the bowl games, than two teams that have no desire to be there.

Comment

You're welcome.

I would respectfully disagree with you and Leeroy about the idea that they have nothing to gain. I think they would have everything to gain from a national respect angle if they were to play and win. Turning down an opportunity to play in a game on a national stage can come across as a team having no desire to improve on the national stage. In many ways it comes across as being content to stay a conference only power. There are consequences that come with turning down such opportunities, and it does eventually impact recruiting--I've seen it happen.

Also, in the case of Henderson's L'Liott Curry and Ouachita's TJ Cole it could have provided an opportunity to showcase why they should be Harlon Hill finalists and maybe one of them a potential winner. Sidenote: I was told by sources at the time in 2014 that Kevin Rodgers lost the Harlon Hill vote by three votes and that if they had played in the Live United Bowl, where he could have showcased his talents against an MIAA team, he might have won it--but we'll never know.

Comment

The extra practice that comes along with the bowl games really helps develop the younger guys too. I know when we went to Texarkana, the first two weeks of practice had a lot more time dedicated to the freshman. Everyone got way more reps, and we had multiple freshman scrimmages where you went live. It was really a great tool to help get kids some more live reps/experience heading into the spring. I'm surprised that teams turn down bowl games. It does nothing but help your program.

Comment

Comment

Poor, poor kitty, the truth must hurt a lot if you're trying to use big words as an ad hominen attack to refute evidence based data. It's not my fault you're a bunch of pusillanimous losers.... oh wait, I'm dealing with a Quachita edumacated person.... not my fault you're a bunch of cowardly lions.

Comment

Yes, I am so thoroughly owned by your playground-caliber taunts. Thanks for proving my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post

You're welcome.

I would respectfully disagree with you and Leeroy about the idea that they have nothing to gain. I think they would have everything to gain from a national respect angle if they were to play and win. Turning down an opportunity to play in a game on a national stage can come across as a team having no desire to improve on the national stage. In many ways it comes across as being content to stay a conference only power. There are consequences that come with turning down such opportunities, and it does eventually impact recruiting--I've seen it happen.

Also, in the case of Henderson's L'Liott Curry and Ouachita's TJ Cole it could have provided an opportunity to showcase why they should be Harlon Hill finalists and maybe one of them a potential winner. Sidenote: I was told by sources at the time in 2014 that Kevin Rodgers lost the Harlon Hill vote by three votes and that if they had played in the Live United Bowl, where he could have showcased his talents against an MIAA team, he might have won it--but we'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin Albertson View Post

Should be a fun game, Southeastern Oklahoma should be the favorite going into the game. I will have a game preview for the MIAA in a couple weeks.
                            That's cute.....

Should be a fun game, but Emporia takes this easily.

Comment

Is there a financial payout for these bowl appearances? Or is it just an opportunity for players to extend their seasons? I guess I'm a little confused about D2 bowls and their history.......

Comment

Never heard of a financial incentive, but it is a great experience and benefits the players/teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X