X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GVSU 2018

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
    how good is the o line?
    Personnel-wise, I think we are fine at a minimum for OL. It could be argued that we actually have some really good players at the position. For me, the key is this: I am given to understand that Morrison is a VERY good O-line coach. Seeing as his attention will now be undivided and devoted exclusively to this position group, it becomes a logical inference that they will be at least "serviceable". I'd like to think they could be very good.

In total, I am actually leaning toward "bullish" as my opinion on this team as a whole. Learning from last year (and the past in general) is a MAJOR factor...the team we had last year was actually pretty damn good and had the pieces to go the whole way. This is the second time GV has stayed at home with an 8-3 mark during the MM era with a team that had what it needed to go the whole way. Both of those teams lost games by small margins when they had chances to win. FINISHING tough games needs to be this team's hallmark this year, and we have to believe that the staff is leveraging these learnings.

So, we've talked about how OL should be good. We have a 4-year starter at QB...hard to put a price on that. He doesn't suck, either, which helps. Despite the pieces missing at RB, I think folks will be surprised at what we still have brewing in that group...keep your eyes open. WR's will have some new guys contributing, but some of these new guys are better than people think...and, having a healthy Dodson will be REALLY big...don't think people remember just how good he actually is. TE's will be better than average.

For me, the D is a big part that gets overlooked. The last couple of years the D has been far better than people realize. No TD's allowed in a first half until week seven or eight in 2016; seven opponents last year held to seven points or less (with a couple of shutouts), and I think only two teams scored 10 or more against us in a first half. Our D is REALLY well prepared every week, so it's hard to ignore the work the staff is doing on that side of the ball. DL is going to be REALLY good, and pretty much everyone is back in the secondary. LB's might have some coming along to do, but we're not empty.

Like I said, I'm bullish. I think if the O starts executing more consistently, particularly EARLY in games, the game scripts become much more favorable to us. Can't wait to see what Ginn is going to do with things. I doubt it's an overhaul, but we don't need that...a few tweaks and the ability to adjust more effectively on-the-fly will (IMO) be all the difference we'll need.

Comment

Anyone heading to the GV scrimmage tonight.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
            Personnel-wise, I think we are fine at a minimum for OL. It could be argued that we actually have some really good players at the position. For me, the key is this: I am given to understand that Morrison is a VERY good O-line coach. Seeing as his attention will now be undivided and devoted exclusively to this position group, it becomes a logical inference that they will be at least "serviceable". I'd like to think they could be very good.

In total, I am actually leaning toward "bullish" as my opinion on this team as a whole. Learning from last year (and the past in general) is a MAJOR factor...the team we had last year was actually pretty damn good and had the pieces to go the whole way. This is the second time GV has stayed at home with an 8-3 mark during the MM era with a team that had what it needed to go the whole way. Both of those teams lost games by small margins when they had chances to win. FINISHING tough games needs to be this team's hallmark this year, and we have to believe that the staff is leveraging these learnings.

So, we've talked about how OL should be good. We have a 4-year starter at QB...hard to put a price on that. He doesn't suck, either, which helps. Despite the pieces missing at RB, I think folks will be surprised at what we still have brewing in that group...keep your eyes open. WR's will have some new guys contributing, but some of these new guys are better than people think...and, having a healthy Dodson will be REALLY big...don't think people remember just how good he actually is. TE's will be better than average.

For me, the D is a big part that gets overlooked. The last couple of years the D has been far better than people realize. No TD's allowed in a first half until week seven or eight in 2016; seven opponents last year held to seven points or less (with a couple of shutouts), and I think only two teams scored 10 or more against us in a first half. Our D is REALLY well prepared every week, so it's hard to ignore the work the staff is doing on that side of the ball. DL is going to be REALLY good, and pretty much everyone is back in the secondary. LB's might have some coming along to do, but we're not empty.

Like I said, I'm bullish. I think if the O starts executing more consistently, particularly EARLY in games, the game scripts become much more favorable to us. Can't wait to see what Ginn is going to do with things. I doubt it's an overhaul, but we don't need that...a few tweaks and the ability to adjust more effectively on-the-fly will (IMO) be all the difference we'll need.
            thanks for the answer....kle is slipping a bit apparently

Comment

What do u mean. Slipping

Comment

How did the scrimmage go.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
                  What do u mean. Slipping
                  It was a joke...ribbing amongst posters. A lot of us have been out here posting for a lot of years...you'll catch up.

Comment

He's been busy. :wink:

Comment

I think GV has the chance to be the best 3 loss team in the country.

If they overachieve, I could see them being the best 5 loss team in the country, similar to 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

The D was good last year but eventually broke down at the end of games due to the offense's ineptitude and keeping them on the field more than they should have been. The key this season will be Ginn's offensive philosophy and whether or not it is an improvement from Morrison's. He has been on the staff for a decade, so my hope is that he doesn't just carry on more of the same. The playmakers are always there. They just need to be put into a position to succeed and not forced to catch fades on every pass play or running dives out of the pistol on every run play.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
                          What do u mean. Slipping
                          he is usually very well versed in gv football...only second to Irish Laker on here....but I just found out he got married so perhaps that is the reason for his slacking...not that it's a legit excuse:smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

If they overachieve, I could see them being the best 5 loss team in the country, similar to 2014.
                            trolling the gliac forum again?

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Big time Hater I see.

Comment

trolling the gliac forum again?
                                Ya think?... well if we are worried about the GLIAC losing members, just look at what little the GNAC has left. No sympathy though.:wink: Maybe RC has to vent somewhere.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X