Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: gv fs game thread

Originally posted by svsu View Post
    From the NCAA rule book "The determining factors are the player's position on the field at the snap and their jersey number. Specifically, any players on offense wearing numbers between 50 and 79 are always ineligible."
    so what you are saying is that GV's kicker has been ineligible all season which means the refs in GV's previous 6 games F*cked up. The only thing I could find is "strongly recommended" numbering from a 2017 NCAA football rules book. Here's what I think-the GLIAC refs F*cked up and hosed GV. I admit I don't know all the rules but the officials are supposed to. I am so tired of official incompetence costing teams a game. And when is it ok for a defensive player to rip a receivers helmet off during a tackle. Last night one official thought it was a penalty but her "boss" overruled her and then the receiver had to sit out a play.

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
      so what you are saying is that GV's kicker has been ineligible all season which means the refs in GV's previous 6 games F*cked up. The only thing I could find is "strongly recommended" numbering from a 2017 NCAA football rules book. Here's what I think-the GLIAC refs F*cked up and hosed GV. I admit I don't know all the rules but the officials are supposed to. I am so tired of official incompetence costing teams a game. And when is it ok for a defensive player to rip a receivers helmet off during a tackle. Last night one official thought it was a penalty but her "boss" overruled her and then the receiver had to sit out a play.
      Not exactly, the kicker has a fine number if he is just kicking. However, he does not have a good number to become a receiver. So he has been fine all year, and he would have been fine on that play, if he didn't go beyond the line of scrimmage.

Comment

I see a lot of complaining about GV being one dimensional. However, I think those comments take something away from hiw good Ferris is. While I agree I get tired of fades in the red zone, that doesn't mean the Lakers are one dimensional. All year they have been running the ball well, using screens and routes through the Middle with Dodson for short and medium yardage.

Yesterday, they came up against a stout defense. That is all. There is stack the box with good athletes and the Run was not there. They have fast athletes on the outside so the screens and sweeps were not there. Grand Valley found a way to move the ball, and I applaud them for that. Would anybody be happier if they lost by two touchdowns because they kept trying to run on the defense that wouldn't let them?

Comment

I always thought the kicker was an eligible receiver so his number shouldn't matter. Time for the NCAA to make another stupid rule addendum and make kickers wear a specific range of numbers or specifically state that he is eligible regardless of his number.

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
            I always thought the kicker was an eligible receiver so his number shouldn't matter. Time for the NCAA to make another stupid rule addendum and make kickers wear a specific range of numbers or specifically state that he is eligible regardless of his number.
            If the kicker was wearing #49 he would of been eligible. It has nothing to do with the position he plays. Maybe they shouldn't give their kickers weird numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by svsu View Post
              If the kicker was wearing #49 he would of been eligible. It has nothing to do with the position he plays. Maybe they shouldn't give their kickers weird numbers.
              Agreed. This is a coaching issue. Somebody on defense should give up a lower number to kicker position which could possibly become eligible.

That said, a lot of good points have been made. These refs where bad. GV pass protection was good, but it wasn't "that" good. I saw several holding calls that should have easily been called but wasn't. Ferris committed pass int. in the endzone that wasn't caught. Seen at least 2 facemasks (one against each team) that wasn't called. Granted Ferris killed themselves with I don't know how many stupid penalties, botched snaps, fumbles, etc., but I think there's a difference between letting teams play and just missing calls which impact a game.

This game reminded me of MSU vs Baylor in 2015, where MSU let Baylor throw for a ton of yards but committed to shutting down the run. I thought the Ferris DBs would do better in one-on-one situations but GVs receivers were ridiculous. They did a great job locating the ball and making adjustments. Bart was just lofting up prayers and those guys were answering.

I remember saying in the 3rd qtr there was no way Ferris would win that game. They didn't deserve to. It looked like the stage was to big for them and they did not execute well enough. TA didn't go to his bunch formations with fast tempo until the 4th qtr, which has always given GV fits in the past. For 3 qtrs I thought MM did a heck of a job offensively and defensively. Not sure what happened in the 4th. But this game will always come down to a few plays. Whoever makes them wins the game.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Laker View Post
                I see a lot of complaining about GV being one dimensional. However, I think those comments take something away from hiw good Ferris is. While I agree I get tired of fades in the red zone, that doesn't mean the Lakers are one dimensional. All year they have been running the ball well, using screens and routes through the Middle with Dodson for short and medium yardage.

Yesterday, they came up against a stout defense. That is all. There is stack the box with good athletes and the Run was not there. They have fast athletes on the outside so the screens and sweeps were not there. Grand Valley found a way to move the ball, and I applaud them for that. Would anybody be happier if they lost by two touchdowns because they kept trying to run on the defense that wouldn't let them?
                You didn't call me out specifically, but I did mention we were one-dimensional. And, I also said we were clobbering them with that dimension. I didn't complain about it.

What I did complain about was our inability to do ANYTHING situationally appropriate as the game progressed. When we are at the +30 with a lead in the fourth quarter, throwing four straight incompletions with nary an attempt to keep the ball for a bit is just dumb. Burning any kind of clock (or their TO's) would have been major...particularly if we managed to score there. I'm not saying run into a stacked box, but a TE curl or any pass short and safe that keeps the ball in play and gains small amounts of yardage would have been insanely smart there. Get the ball out quick, keep them reeling, and keep their O on the sidelines. But nope...mostly go routes.

Further, the "screens" we tried to use were not in the middle. They were on the edges, and everyone has seen those from us forever...proven painfully that we threw two INT's on throw-back screens (one for a TD the other way) where Ferris had MULTIPLE defenders near our intended target (I believe Provencher both times). Both were throws that should have been chucked at Jack's feet and moved on to the next play...they were beyond well anticipated/defended. Credit to Ferris for their preparedness, absolutely. Discredit to our guys for not making the type of quick, solid decisions that playing their positions require.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
                  You didn't call me out specifically, but I did mention we were one-dimensional. And, I also said we were clobbering them with that dimension. I didn't complain about it.

What I did complain about was our inability to do ANYTHING situationally appropriate as the game progressed. When we are at the +30 with a lead in the fourth quarter, throwing four straight incompletions with nary an attempt to keep the ball for a bit is just dumb. Burning any kind of clock (or their TO's) would have been major...particularly if we managed to score there. I'm not saying run into a stacked box, but a TE curl or any pass short and safe that keeps the ball in play and gains small amounts of yardage would have been insanely smart there. Get the ball out quick, keep them reeling, and keep their O on the sidelines. But nope...mostly go routes.

Further, the "screens" we tried to use were not in the middle. They were on the edges, and everyone has seen those from us forever...proven painfully that we threw two INT's on throw-back screens (one for a TD the other way) where Ferris had MULTIPLE defenders near our intended target (I believe Provencher both times). Both were throws that should have been chucked at Jack's feet and moved on to the next play...they were beyond well anticipated/defended. Credit to Ferris for their preparedness, absolutely. Discredit to our guys for not making the type of quick, solid decisions that playing their positions require.
                  Yeah I think BillyGV said it earlier: the fades/back shoulder go routes were working great when we had 50 yards or more to play with, but not at all when we were getting closer to the end zone. It was painful watching the offense stall again and again because, like you said, there weren't any "easy" throws or short routes over the middle for Bart. I remember one catch to dodson that was over the middle right about the 50 and then we had one other post/slant to Dodson when he was downed at about the 1 yard line. But other than that, nothing. I about had it when we tried to throw a wheel/back shoulder route on a late third down to slow-moving TE Pete Cender. Not his fault, but Pete never had a shot in that situation. But the late drive when we were up 3 and couldn't chew any clock and then wasted all our time-outs to boot? Wow. Couldn't believe it. Just sucks that we have a team that can absolutely beat Ferris and yet again, we come up short.

Comment

Checking in to see how the game went between these two highly ranked D2 powerhouses and:
                    1) Baffled that those who follow football don't know you can't throw to ineligible number
                    2) The kicker would wear an ineligible number if they had this play in the playbook
                    3) Some think that this infraction should be ignored

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

It wasn't specific to you. However, I tend to agree. As I said earlier, Mitchell was out-coached in key moments yesterday.

I honestly don't think anything up the middle (pass or run) was often advised yesterday. In fact, I think the one interception in the middle showed that yesterday. The one thing that could have been interesting were some possible misdirection runs. This could have been especially helpful when you were trying to burn the clock, since it had not been done during the game. As seen on the touchdown, with Moss you are one kickout block away from 10-12 yards. Hopefully, we'll find out in BR during the POs.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
                          ... sucks that we have a team that can absolutely beat Ferris and yet again, we come up short.
                          I actually agree with this. As close as the game was yesterday, I felt like Grand Valley was actually the better team. I felt like the defense kept Ferris in check and the offense could move the ball into the red zone at will. Even if GVSU cleaned up special teams and keeps it to one interception (which both are doable in the next six weeks or so) we win this game by 10-14 pts. If they get a few goal line offensive plays...whew!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
                            Checking in to see how the game went between these two highly ranked D2 powerhouses and:
                            1) Baffled that those who follow football don't know you can't throw to ineligible number
                            2) The kicker would wear an ineligible number if they had this play in the playbook
                            3) Some think that this infraction should be ignored
                            Well Scooter what happened was that GVSU did NOT throw the ball to the kicker as you seem to think. What happened was that the kicker #53 went beyond the line of scrimmage and was an illegal man down field. Baffled you didn't know how it went down.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                              Well Scooter what happened was that GVSU did NOT throw the ball to the kicker as you seem to think. What happened was that the kicker #53 went beyond the line of scrimmage and was an illegal man down field. Baffled you didn't know how it went down.
                              Correct me if I'm wrong as I only saw the replay once, but it looked to me like JJ McGrath was running a route deep into the end zone, not just simply innocently wandering too far in front of the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                                Thank you for the clarification on the play's action. I did not watch, was just interested in the outcome. Interesting that he went downfield with that number on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X