Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: gv fs game thread

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
    Most QBs are taught to throw that pass at the back of the DBs shoulder, meaning either the WR can come back once they've judged the ball or the DB will run into the WR once he tries to come back and get interference. This isn't a traditional fly route. QB and WR will always have the advantage since they will know where the ball is going while a DB is always in a reactionary position.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
      Give it a rest. There's been plenty of GV/FS games where he was outcoached, this wasn't one of them. GV had a game plan to win. Bart made bad throws in bad situations. Horton went offsides in a very crucial situation. This is a tiresome trope that is not fit for this game.
      I agree that Matt Mitchell was out-coached. Not necessarily in the entire game, but at certain key points where it mattered.

4th and 15 when your defense is good - punt.

Close game when you are see sawing - don't waste timeouts on D.

These are a couple of the areas where I just felt like he needed to be a little bit smarter on his end. In regard to trick plays and call or no calls, I think that is on the players and the refs.

Comment

In all fairness, these throws have been a staple of the Grand Valley offense probably since the Finnerty era. So clearly, regardless of how much you think you know about the issue, it's been proven to work.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
            Give it a rest. There's been plenty of GV/FS games where he was outcoached, this wasn't one of them. GV had a game plan to win. Bart made bad throws in bad situations. Horton went offsides in a very crucial situation. This is a tiresome trope that is not fit for this game.
            Continue to lose against your rival (6 out of the last 8 games now?), Yeah he was outcoached AGAIN whether you like to admit it or not. Good coaches find ways to win these big games. Mitchell hasn't figured it out. Oh well, another one in the books. Maybe next year....nah, probably not.
            Last edited by IH8SVSU; 10-14-2018, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
                Continue to lose against your rival (6 out of the last 8 games now?), Yeah he was outcoached AGAIN whether you like to admit it or not. Good coaches find ways to win these big games. Mitchell hasn't figured it out. Oh well, another one in the books. Maybe next year....nah, probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Laker View Post
                  In all fairness, these throws have been a staple of the Grand Valley offense probably since the Finnerty era. So clearly, regardless of how much you think you know about the issue, it's been proven to work.

Comment

Not being boastful, but I just don't think that most other conferences/teams put together a run defense that is as stout as Ferris. Therefore, they are able to run a little easier on them. This doesn't mean that other teams and conferences can't compete with Grand Valley, but they tend to do it more with their offense or back-end defense than their run stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Laker View Post
                      Not being boastful, but I just don't think that most other conferences/teams put together a run defense that is as stout as Ferris. Therefore, they are able to run a little easier on them. This doesn't mean that other teams and conferences can't compete with Grand Valley, but they tend to do it more with their offense or back-end defense than their run stopping.

Comment

The only time GV gets creative and starts throwing patterns they rarely use is against inferior opponents. The second they face a tougher opponent, they go right back to fade after fade.

Comment

I am forlorn. We had a team capable of beating them last year...couldn't finish. I am convinced we have a team capable of beating them last night...couldn't finish.

When playing Ferris, you have to accept that you can't shut them down. They are GOING to move the ball, and they are GOING to score. From there, you have to hope you can manage them. I submit our defense did pretty damn well through that lens: We held them to roughly 200 yards BELOW their average offensive output, which includes a complete coverage breakdown they exploited (to their credit) for 80 yards on a single play. Outside of the 4th down trick play (brilliantly called and executed) and the 71-yard pass in the 2nd (where three blatant, uncalled holds occurred), we limited their chunk plays and kept them disrupted. Their QB completing only 33% of his passes and being sacked four times are of note, but Ferris is always a run-first group and this year's version is more of a power outifit...we held them 2.6 yards per attempt. As has been predominantly the case in the last four or five times we have played them, our defense MORE than held up their end of the deal. We sufficiently managed them.

If you can manage their O, your O has to get work done. Obviously, ours did not. Once again I am forced to point to an offense that: doesn't finish drives, is hopeless in short yardage, is seemingly allergic to middle screens or use of the TE, and just seems to lack imagination. I'm not blind to the fact that we threw for 487 yards...perhaps within that scope, being imaginative isn't wholly required. With that said, when we get into situations that something else was needed we had NOTHING. Twice in the last six minutes of that game we were at the +30 and had nothing in the queue to gain some yardage to set up manageable 2nd downs and BURN SOME DAMN CLOCK. We had multiple third-and-shorts where we couldn't make first downs. We threw three INT's on plays where a QB as tenured as ours HAS to see that the play isn't there and NOT MAKE THOSE THROWS...one of those gave Ferris a TD.

Those were two good football teams. Ferris's D-line play is tremendous, and once we believed we couldn't run the ball we abandoned it almost entirely. Jack Provencher has been a consistent playmaker through six games and he had six total touches...they took him completely out of the game. Despite an obviously exploitable secondary, Ferris made us one-dimensional and forced enough mistakes to beat us. While I tip my cap to that, I caveat it with the premise that three of those major mistakes were decidedly avoidable.

All is not lost, but we have relinquished a significant amount of the control we possessed just 24 hours ago over our own destiny. I am forlorn because it simply didn't have to happen.

Comment

Can anyone point me to the rules about eligible numbers and kickers

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
                              Can anyone point me to the rules about eligible numbers and kickers
                              From the NCAA rule book "The determining factors are the player's position on the field at the snap and their jersey number. Specifically, any players on offense wearing numbers between 50 and 79 are always ineligible."

Comment

Was a good game to watch.

Was impressed with GVSU #2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X