Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligibility question.

I swear I heard this issue on the radio, but it was background, so no details. But here's the question: does a D1 transfer have to sit a year after a transfer to a D2 school? If the sport is different from the sport that was played at the D1 school, can they play right away? Apparently some GLIAC school may be in that situation with a transfer. This is not a graduate student... who is allowed to play right away.

Re: Eligibility question.

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
    I swear I heard this issue on the radio, but it was background, so no details. But here's the question: does a D1 transfer have to sit a year after a transfer to a D2 school? If the sport is different from the sport that was played at the D1 school, can they play right away? Apparently some GLIAC school may be in that situation with a transfer. This is not a graduate student... who is allowed to play right away.
    Unless something has changed, you can play right away when you transfer down. You cannot play right away if you transfer laterally or up.

Comment

They do not have to sit a year. But if they decide to transfer while the season is going on, they can't play that season, either. Like if Kelly Bryant wanted to transfer from Clemson to an FCS or D2 school right now, he couldn't play later in the season for that team. But if he transfers in the off-season, he'd be eligible to immediately participate in practices and play next season. Tyree Horton, Kwanii Figueroa, and Chawntez Moss all played last season with their respective D1 schools. Johnathon Williams sat out last year at GVSU, not sure why. Guessing he transferred after the 2017 football season started.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
        They do not have to sit a year. But if they decide to transfer while the season is going on, they can't play that season, either. Like if Kelly Bryant wanted to transfer from Clemson to an FCS or D2 school right now, he couldn't play later in the season for that team. But if he transfers in the off-season, he'd be eligible to immediately participate in practices and play next season. Tyree Horton, Kwanii Figueroa, and Chawntez Moss all played last season with their respective D1 schools. Johnathon Williams sat out last year at GVSU, not sure why. Guessing he transferred after the 2017 football season started.
        You sure? Horton is a "grad." I thought Kwani "grad" too. I didn't think Moss played in 17. That's why Johnie sat last year? Odd that it came up then. Thanks

Comment

Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

Yes Horton is a grad transfer as is Figueroa, Moss sat a year too. Williams sat a year...I guess GVSU follows the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
            Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

Yes Horton is a grad transfer as is Figueroa, Moss sat a year too. Williams sat a year...I guess GVSU follows the rules.
            What she said above is right for Division 1 and 2 per the NCAA website...

Comment

Check on a 4 4 4 transfer.

Comment

You sure? Horton is a "grad." I thought Kwani "grad" too. I didn't think Moss played in 17. That's why Johnie sat last year? Odd that it came up then. Thanks
                Moss played last season. He was suspended by Narduzzi for a few games but he played and then was dismissed from the team in December

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                  Unless something has changed, you can play right away when you transfer down. You cannot play right away if you transfer laterally or up.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Moss played in six games last season at Pitt: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...binepdf_1_.pdf

Didn't realize Horton and Figueroa were grad transfers. Seems weird they would go down a division as a grad transfer when you can play at any school you want as a grad transfer immediately. They could have went to another D1 school.
                    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I think the Williams issue was that he did not transfer directly to GVSU when he left Notre Name. He actually went to the University of Toledo first, then to GVSU. Per Notre Dame insider, he made that stop at Toledo, which likely meant he was not immediately eligible as he would have been going straight to GVSU from ND. He did play at Toledo for a couple games. The NCAA doesn't like students bouncing from school to school so the immediately eligibility thing may only apply to the initial transfer, not to a subsequent transfer, thus why he had to sit out.

It is interesting that Williams profile at GVSU mentions nothing about Toledo, but that was the only D1 stop he actually played at. It says he spent 2 seasons at ND which wasn't true. He was there for 1 season, transferred to Toledo, then transferred to GVSU. GVSU lists him as a junior. He did not play in 2015 for ND (redshirt year), played at Toledo in 2016 (RS Frosh), DNP in 2017 (transfer rules -RS Soph) so technically this is his RS junior season.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        Check on a 4 4 4 transfer.
                        The simple rule is you cannot transfer from 4 year school to 4 year school to 4 year school without sitting out one year. The athlete in question did not sit out a year so that athlete is ineligible to play. If the school plays an ineligible athlete they are subject to penalties as listed in the NCAA regulations. It will be interesting to see what happens here.

Comment

Moss played in six games last season at Pitt: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...binepdf_1_.pdf

Didn't realize Horton and Figueroa were grad transfers. Seems weird they would go down a division as a grad transfer when you can play at any school you want as a grad transfer immediately. They could have went to another D1 school.

Things get very interesting with the Grad Transfer rules and the transfer from a CC. Horton started at a CC, then apparently transferred to TCU but did not play in one season there. Transferred to Illinois St, and was there a year before coming to GVSU. Figueroa was a clear cut transfer under the 4-4 rule or grad transfer rule, so he would not have to sit. Moss appears to follow the same rules as Figueroa as a clear cut 4-4 transfer.

The one thing I've found with the NCAA as a student athlete and as an sport official (not a major sport) is that nothing is clear cut.

Comment

I think Brandon introduced the 4/4/4 rule above. This looks like what may be the issue. Personally, I never realized how many kids have multiple transfers. And, if I read it correctly, the 4/4/4 rule does require the student to sit a year. For the GV kids listed in this thread, it appears that they either graduated (then 4/4/4 doesn't apply) or they sat, or they transferred under 4-4 (one transfer.)

The cloud that raised the question for me, appears to be about a student that attended two 4 year institutions before transferring again, (2nd transfer, 3rd school.)
                            So, to all those that indicated that one doesn't need to sit.. Nope ain't true. Alternately, a student doesn't have to sit if this is the first transfer. So different scenarios. And I'm not even going to go down the JC path or eligible number of season criteria.

And my initial question. ... it doesn't look like it matters what sport one played at the previous institutions. So I guess I got my answer. :confused:

Comment

I think Brandon introduced the 4/4/4 rule above. This looks like what may be the issue. Personally, I never realized how many kids have multiple transfers. And, if I read it correctly, the 4/4/4 rule does require the student to sit a year. For the GV kids listed in this thread, it appears that they either graduated (then 4/4/4 doesn't apply) or they sat, or they transferred under 4-4 (one transfer.)

The cloud that raised the question for me, appears to be about a student that attended two 4 year institutions before transferring again, (2nd transfer, 3rd school.)
                              So, to all those that indicated that one doesn't need to sit.. Nope ain't true. Alternately, a student doesn't have to sit if this is the first transfer. So different scenarios. And I'm not even going to go down the JC path or eligible number of season criteria.

And my initial question. ... it doesn't look like it matters what sport one played at the previous institutions. So I guess I got my answer. :confused:
                              So is there a player playing somewhere that shouldn't be?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X