X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4nick8
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Weather right now looks clear but cool, around 35 degrees. Last time GV hosted Ferris in the playoffs was 2018, and the crowd was 12k+. So hopefully we can match that!
    Lost to NWMSU in 2018

Leave a comment:

• Redwing
    replied
    Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

Assuming you mean Hunt-Thompson and Taylor? I agree, those are probably the best two skill guys in the league (and maybe nation for Taylor?), but the overall depth for GV at WR gives them the edge.
    I was talking overall... and Taylor is that slot killer. Point being FSU has some studs.. but overall talent on GV looks better. No for the WRs .. I'm not a huge HT fan, but he is solid. Frankly I haven't.. but should??... focus on him more. Still the package guys that GV has can light it up.

Leave a comment:

• Gliac_fan10
    replied
    Originally posted by Redwing View Post
    I'm admittedly biased but by looking at position groups, who has the edge?

WR- GV. This is tough and I may as well address this here as anywhere. FSU has some significant studs.. Murphy, Taylor. and??? They individually be a game breaker. But GV also has a few AND appears deeper and talented across the board.
    Assuming you mean Hunt-Thompson and Taylor? I agree, those are probably the best two skill guys in the league (and maybe nation for Taylor?), but the overall depth for GV at WR gives them the edge.

Leave a comment:

• Redwing
    replied
    I'm admittedly biased but by looking at position groups, who has the edge?

QB- MAYBE FSU... Maybe. if Cade is on, it swings to GV.

Oline- GV. Not the case last year, but this year. Talent, and likely more importantly Depth

WR- GV. This is tough and I may as well address this here as anywhere. FSU has some significant studs on the entire team.. Murphy, Taylor. and??? They individually be a game breaker. But GV also has a few AND appears deeper and talented across the board. So at WR it may be a push and mostly due to Taylor.

RBs- GV. FSU's Taylor is good, but not his best position. Reid, Provencher, Moreno. I'll put this group over most every other backs in the nation. Even Shep's or Mines.

TE's- Not usually noticed, but the groups at GV gets the nod.

Dline- Tough due to Murphy, but GV's is deep and has more players. GV

LB's.. I would say even, but Swanson really adds hugely. GV

Safeties. Push

Corners. 2 months ago, FSU, now GV. They kids grew up well and fast.

Kickers.. GV

Return game. I think Taylor returns, if not. so Maybe a slight edge to FSU.. unless Mooky goes strong.

So throw the darts. My glasses are blue, but had to throw it out there.
    Last edited by Redwing; 11-28-2022, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by GVSU-2019 View Post

Thanks!
    Looks like WXSP is indeed picking the game up again this week, so hopefully that link works.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by lsnwbearcat View Post

Well, I'm gonna stream it....it's a must see game. Winning teams find ways to win........This one could be another 1-point game. I truly hope the weather is good. May the best team win. FSU - Revenge game. GV - keep the #1 seed.
    Weather right now looks clear but cool, around 35 degrees. Last time GV hosted Ferris in the playoffs was 2016, and the crowd was 12k+. So hopefully we can match that!
    Last edited by KleShreen; 11-28-2022, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lsnwbearcat
    replied
    Is there really anything to discuss? We all know how it's going to play out at this point, right? Difference will be one score, and it'll be something on special teams or a turnover.
    Well, I'm gonna stream it....it's a must see game. Winning teams find ways to win........This one could be another 1-point game. I truly hope the weather is good. May the best team win. FSU - Revenge game. GV - keep the #1 seed.

Leave a comment:

• GVSU-2019
    replied

Someone earlier said that WOOD's website streamed WXSP live during the game. Assuming WXSP picks up this game as well, it should be available here: https://www.woodtv.com/live-streaming-video/
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• GVLakerFan24
    replied
    I completely agree about going under center for a QB sneak on 4th and short situations, especially on the goal line. It blows my mind that GV doesn't have that package or doesn't use it. Even when we don't have Avery Moore, Cade could easily get 6 inches or even throw in Endicot. He could easily push the line.

Fascinated to watch this rematch and see what type of adjustments both sides make. I have faith in the GVSU defense to hold Ferris to a lower output again but I think GV will need more consistent passing from Cade to score enough points. Hopefully we get a large playoff crowd with the students back, Ferris fans coming down, and no direct competition with the Michigan game.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by GVSU-2019 View Post
    Will this be able to be watched online somewhere? I live out of state and don't want to pay for FloSports
    Someone earlier said that WOOD's website streamed WXSP live during the game. Assuming WXSP picks up this game as well, it should be available here: https://www.woodtv.com/live-streaming-video/

Leave a comment:

• GVSU-2019
    replied
    Will this be able to be watched online somewhere? I live out of state and don't want to pay for FloSports

Leave a comment:

• 4nick8
    replied

I fully advocate going for it on any 4th-and-short situation when you're on the opponent's goal-line, but I just hate how they go about trying to convert it. It's prudent to go for it in that situation because even if you don't get it, you have a pretty good shot at getting a safety on an ensuing play, and if you force the opponent to go 3 and out, you're going to get good field position. So the reward is worth it.

I disagree in most cases. Depends on situation and intangibles like momentum are hard to quantify but do play a huge part in big games. The three failures I inferred are a good example of the reward not being worth it. GV was just fortunate to overcome the poor decision in two of them. And I agree that if the decision is made to go for it, GET UNDER CENTER!!!

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

Kick the damn field goal!!! Did the same thing vs Ferris... will never understand lack of confidence in kickers. Doesn't understand momentum change that hands the opposition when you totally fail to get anything out of a drive to the 6inch line. Almost handed NW the game. Yes I know it was windy, but that would have been shorter than an extra point. NW went under center for their 4th and inches and were given the spot to continue their go ahead drive. How many times has GV failed to get the TD in that situation against top notch teams in the last year? Hell, in 2021 it resulted in 7 points for Ferris which was the difference in that game.
    I fully advocate going for it on any 4th-and-short situation when you're on the opponent's goal-line, but I just hate how they go about trying to convert it. It's prudent to go for it in that situation because even if you don't get it, you have a pretty good shot at getting a safety on an ensuing play, and if you force the opponent to go 3 and out, you're going to get good field position. So the reward is worth it.

I just would rather go for it with a sneak or an under-center run, which have almost a 90+% success rate.

Leave a comment:

• 4nick8
    replied
    Originally posted by Thelakerman View Post

Agreed. Cade had one of the worst games throwing the ball that I’ve seen. Missed open receivers all day….usually throwing too high. He can’t do that against Ferris and win. Gotta keep the adrenaline under control. On the other hand, when he saw a lot of green in front of him he took advantage of it. Too many red zone trips with no points. I don’t understand 4th and goal from the one foot line and giving the ball to your lightest back. Moreno at 230 lbs would have been the better choice….Or, get up under center and sneak it. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 and coaching from the stands is easy.
    Kick the damn field goal!!! Did the same thing vs Ferris... will never understand lack of confidence in kickers. Doesn't understand momentum change that hands the opposition when you totally fail to get anything out of a drive to the 6inch line. Almost handed NW the game. Yes I know it was windy, but that would have been shorter than an extra point. NW went under center for their 4th and inches and were given the spot to continue their go ahead drive. How many times has GV failed to get the TD in that situation against top notch teams in the last year? Hell, in 2021 it resulted in 7 points for Ferris which was the difference in that game.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Thelakerman View Post

Agreed. Cade had one of the worst games throwing the ball that I’ve seen. Missed open receivers all day….usually throwing too high. He can’t do that against Ferris and win. Gotta keep the adrenaline under control. On the other hand, when he saw a lot of green in front of him he took advantage of it. Too many red zone trips with no points. I don’t understand 4th and goal from the one foot line and giving the ball to your lightest back. Moreno at 230 lbs would have been the better choice….Or, get up under center and sneak it. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 and coaching from the stands is easy.
    Not getting under center on short-yardage situations will continue to annoy the hell out of me. I understand that running from the shotgun allows one to see more of the defense and gives better chances for breaking off chunk plays, but the idea that any team still gets in shotgun and tries to run from essentially the 6-yard line when they only need a foot is mind-boggling to me. QB sneaks are the most successful plays in the entire game of football besides extra points.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X