Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Kle,

I'd make a case that GVSU is better than more than half of FCS..all things considered. But I get what you mean.

I'm only familar with coach because he was in the NSIC for a fair amount of time when St. Cloud State was thriving..and he's always kinda been a QB guru guy..or that's been the take I've come away with. He had Philip Klaphake playing at a very high level at SCSU and then also Eric Berriere nearly won the FCS POY just a few years back at Eastern WA..the school with the red field, etc.

He was also the head coach at CWU after SCSU..and had some strong years there. Hawaii hasn't been a very good football team for a bit now..and I think he just kinda got on the wrong train there.

Overall, I'd be pleased with the hire if I was GV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Shoemaker
    Here is the official release from GV: https://gvsulakers.com/news/2024/2/2...ordinator.aspx
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
      Not really having to do with transfer, but still thought this was interesting.

Matt Mitchell and Wisconsin got a commitment today from a 3-star linebacker, 80th-ranked LB in the country, Brenden Anes. Curt Anes' kid. Pretty awesome.

https://247sports.com/player/brenden-anes-46141637/
      There's gotta be quite a few Laker greats from the Championship era that should be having kids that should have kids that are getting to be about college age and have been hearing about their father's glory at GVSU.

Comment

Welp. Not great for GV.

Jay'viar Suggs, Terez Reid, Devin Pringle all posted on Twitter that they're in the portal and have all received multiple FBS offers. The GV defense just getting gutted.

Comment

Welp. Not great for GV.

Jay'viar Suggs, Terez Reid, Devin Pringle all posted on Twitter that they're in the portal and have all received multiple FBS offers. The GV defense just getting gutted.
          Relax, at most one will be gone and did you see the back ups play this year? Freshman class has some very good players that were red shirted as well as the transfers that will be coming in. Go ahead and under estimate a Jim Louis defense, that will be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
            Relax, at most one will be gone and did you see the back ups play this year? Freshman class has some very good players that were red shirted as well as the transfers that will be coming in. Go ahead and under estimate a Jim Louis defense, that will be fun.
            How do you figure at most one will be gone?

Also, what is with this weird condescension?

My response would be, my apologies, I guess. Silly me for thinking that losing multiple 1st team all-conference players is a bad thing.

Comment

How do you figure at most one will be gone?

Also, what is with this weird condescension?

My response would be, my apologies, I guess. Silly me for thinking that losing multiple 1st team all-conference players is a bad thing.
              Well.. you did say the D is getting gutted. IF they all leave, that essentially implies a huge drop-off in the defense. No doubt that some talent leaving could result in a less effective D, but gutted sounds like it'll be in dire straights. That ain't happening. But, go ahead, you have your opinion... but that's what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

Aren’t there rules to how many new scholarships can be given out each year?
                Nope, NCAA elimiated the 25 initial scholarship rule in October 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Well.. you did say the D is getting gutted. IF they all leave, that essentially implies a huge drop-off in the defense. No doubt that some talent leaving could result in a less effective D, but gutted sounds like it'll be in dire straights. That ain't happening. But, go ahead, you have your opinion... but that's what it is.
                  I didn't think I was breaking news or giving a hot take that losing your all-conference defensive tackle and your two all-conference starting corners after spring practice is probably not going to result in a better team for the season.

I just don't understand this mentality I'm being met with here lol. Obviously there's going to be players who step up and coaches who coach them up. But I don't think it's crazy to point out that exchanging known all-conference players for people who are not known all-conference players is not ideal. And I also don't understand this mentality that pointing that out implies "doubting a Jim Louis defense" lol. Like what are we doing here? Having more good players is usually better than having less. Again, I don't see how that's a shocking revelation.

And yea, I would say losing three of your top five defensive starters after spring ball qualifies as being "gutted" by the upper levels of college football.
                  Last edited by KleShreen; 04-28-2024, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I don't know much about how the transfer portal operates. How long is it open? How long does a player have to decide on an offer they receive?

Comment

Appears that Terez Reid decided to stay at GV. Pringle committed to Houston and looks like Suggs will be heading to either the SEC or Big Ten.

Comment

Originally posted by tip79 View Post
                        I don't know much about how the transfer portal operates. How long is it open? How long does a player have to decide on an offer they receive?
                        Last I knew the portal windows were different for D1 and D2/D3 but that may have changed. The portal window for D1 opens twice a year for 3 weeks or so. In those days players need to put their names in the portal but do not have to commit during that time. Players can pretty much stay in the portal indefinitely, so there is no date they need to commit by, just by the time classes enroll in either the fall or winter. I know that at one point it was the rule that if your coach leaves you don't have to wait for the portal window to open, I believe that is still the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                          Appears that Terez Reid decided to stay at GV. Pringle committed to Houston and looks like Suggs will be heading to either the SEC or Big Ten.
                          Suggs has been great for GV, but the level of offers he's getting are beyond what I thought he would be getting. We might be watching him play for Michigan or Alabama or Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                            Looks like GV's D won't be "gutted" by the portal all that much after all. Reid AND Pringle are both staying. Suggs is likely gone, but that's a great story for him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X