Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USI move to D1; how does that affect UIndy?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDog View Post

Great to have a hounds fan behind enemy lines in Ohio and keep posting on conference alignments, even when/if we join the OVC!
    Actually moved even farther outside the ol' home boundaries as I am in WV now. Of course, realignment is my favorite subject and always will be. Always happy to beat the drum for my Uindy/NDC/Indiana NAIA's to the GMAC theory!

Leave a comment:

• TheDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

Why the animosity towards ol' Dr. Sue Wiley? Obviously, no one is perfect, but I think she did a good job overall and kept scholarship football. I am a smidge biased as I had classes with her when I was there, but she fought hard to keep us as Division II scholarship football in the early 2000s when some in the university leadership thought we should move to D1 and play in the PFL with Butler and Valpo. That story is second hand, and I have no proof outside of I trust my source.
    These messsageboards aren't for the faint of heart! I think she probably kept scholarship football because she wanted the ability to scholarship everything else. No real improvements to The Key while she took care of all her small team sports - mainly overprotecting women's. She'll try to continue to influence from her oversized easy chair in Florida but as time passes fewer and fewer will listen!

Great to have a hounds fan behind enemy lines in Ohio and keep posting on conference alignments, even when/if we join the OVC!

Leave a comment:

• michiganfb
    replied

Why the animosity towards ol' Dr. Sue Wiley? Obviously, no one is perfect, but I think she did a good job overall and kept scholarship football. I am a smidge biased as I had classes with her when I was there, but she fought hard to keep us as Division II scholarship football in the early 2000s when some in the university leadership thought we should move to D1 and play in the PFL with Butler and Valpo. That story is second hand, and I have no proof outside of I trust my source.
    Exactly. From those that didn't care for her she didn't like an idea unless it was hers. From me it's obvious she took care of women's sports at the expense of football and men's basketball. If Dr Huffman would have hung on a few years before retirement U Indy would have renovated Key Stadium adding seating and getting rid of all her extra lines on the field. Would have had another #1 ranking in basketball too. She's gone. We survived. We can forget about her.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDog View Post
    Those that forecasted a delay until UIndy gets a new Prez and AD seem to be the wise ones. We haven't had an AD that everyone can be proud of for 20 years, but that's only two ADs in that drought. The last two presidents have been great though.

Leave a comment:

• TheDog
    replied
    Still a good chance we go D1. Although just an update article on the delayed vote linked here, many of us think it's a necessity. https://reflector.uindy.edu/2022/10/...-of-athletics/

Leave a comment:

• TheDog
    replied
    Those that forecasted a delay until UIndy gets a new Prez and AD seem to be the wise ones. We haven't had an AD that everyone can be proud of for 20 years, but that's only two ADs in that drought. The last two presidents have been great though.

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by michiganfb View Post

Interm president AND without an athletic director too. Chance to get a good athletic director for the first time in 20 years. Same lousy AD for years and years at U Indy that was obsessed with taking care of women's sports that had 10 athletes and 20 fans showing up at games rather than their football with 100 athletes and 5 to 10K fans at their games. By not giving major sports preference she drove their basketball into the ground. Fully funded every olympic sport so no wonder small teams won. She thought the word director in Director's Cup was for her instead of the uni. Their move to D1 will depend on the new AD.
    I e-mailed her several times way back when I first thought there might be a chance that UIndy could come to the GMAC. I always got the standard response of "We will always do what we consider to be in the best interest of all of our student athletes." Apparently not.

Leave a comment:

• michiganfb
    replied
    Originally posted by stealth View Post

Most every boards are reluctant to take action of this with an interm president and will wait until a new president is in place and the leadership team is established. I have the feeling this issue will come up again.
    Interm president AND without an athletic director too. Chance to get a good athletic director for the first time in 20 years. Same lousy AD for years and years at U Indy that was obsessed with taking care of women's sports that had 10 athletes and 20 fans showing up at games rather than their football with 100 athletes and 5 to 10K fans at their games. By not giving major sports preference she drove their basketball into the ground. Fully funded every olympic sport so no wonder small teams won. She thought the word director in Director's Cup was for her instead of the uni. Their move to D1 will depend on the new AD.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by stealth View Post

Most every boards are reluctant to take action of this with an interm president and will wait until a new president is in place and the leadership team is established. I have the feeling this issue will come up again.
    I really wish you were wrong, but ya. The "uindy to D1" rumor has been there since I was on campus starting in 2015, this discussion is far from over. However, I do think this decision may kick the can down the road 6 months to a year.

Leave a comment:

• stealth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WKYDave
    replied
    The big issue I keep wondering about is the future of the NCAA. If the Power 5 conferences create their own organization for all sports, a large chunk of NCAA funding disappears. I don't think CBS, etc will pay big money for what will be I-AA football and basketball rights. If that occurs then the distribution the OVC and others get will plummet making it hard to pay for all the upgrades to facilities and scholarships that recent additions to DI made.https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-ne...5a80832c97a14a

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

If I had to pick one, I guess it would be McKendree or UIS, but honestly I do not think any of them are really ready.
    I always seemed to think that Lewis had the potential to make a move to D1 in the long-term, but I haven't really kept up with D2 as much as I used to.

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post
    Staying d2 for the long term would be the WORST decision for the school. Seems like most alumni are afraid of change.
    Most people are afraid of change.

Leave a comment:

• UISguy23
    replied
    Staying d2 for the long term would be the WORST decision for the school. Seems like most alumni are afraid of change.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

It doesn't seem like they made a move. Seems more like they decided to kick the can down the road and not reveal anything.
    Fair point, my thing is that they are not D1 today and I am happy about that decision. Whether its comes in 6 months, I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X