Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USI move to D1; how does that affect UIndy?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevadaman23
    replied
    none of us know what ANY college is thinking. so unless a college is severely financially crippled like the HBCU schools then i wouldnt believe anything they say about not moving there or here

Leave a comment:

• Nevadaman23
    replied
    ya i feel like Southern Indiana said they werent ever going D1 either but there they are

Leave a comment:

• DaleDude
    replied
    michiganfb: Not a done deal yet. My indsiders say it's looking D1 but who knows for sure how the Trustees will vote. Hillsdale and Ashland are two similar small private football loving schools like U Indy and that is lost without D2 GMAC. U Indy wouldn't easily give up their rivalry with Hilldale so makes me think Hillsdale might be thinking D1 as well.

I can honestly say that Hillsdale College will NOT be making a move to D1 anytime in the near future and probably not for another 10 to 15 years, if ever. Hillsdale is a fully-funded D2 program and has no problems attracting students. The academic requirements to be accepted into Hillsdale are IVY League level, and they have a national footprint in their conservative approach. The college recently completed building a new basketball arena, and they will begin construction of new baseball and softball stadiums next Spring. A new football stadium is on the radar, but as I understand it to be it is being planned to quite possibly be the gold standard for D2 stadiums. We shall see. Hillsdale accepts no state or federal funding and so all the funding for the entire campus is received from generous donors. The college's endowment far exceeds many D1 schools. GMAC it is, and GMAC it will be for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• Nevadaman23
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Why?
    simply because they would be in the best spot and would be more competitive

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Nevadaman23 View Post

id say UMSL has the best shot
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• Nevadaman23
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Drury - 1,382 enrollment. $7.6 million budget.
    Lewis - 3,842 enrollment. $8.8 million budget.
    UMSL - 4,663 enrollment. $5.3 million budget.
    id say UMSL has the best shot

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Nevadaman23 View Post
    so there is a chance Hillsdale could go d1? what about schools like Lewis Drury or UMSL?
    Drury - 1,382 enrollment. $7.6 million budget.
    Lewis - 3,842 enrollment. $8.8 million budget.
    UMSL - 4,663 enrollment. $5.3 million budget.

Leave a comment:

• Nevadaman23
    replied
    so there is a chance Hillsdale could go d1? what about schools like Lewis Drury or UMSL?

Leave a comment:

• michiganfb
    replied
    Originally posted by Otis Campbell View Post

I would be stunned if they went D1 but what do I know. I did get a chuckle out of Tenn-Martin being a recruiting rival.

if they go D1 football should join the Pioneer. Save the scholarships and return the Top Dog game.
    Not a done deal yet. My indsiders say it's looking D1 but who knows for sure how the Trustees will vote. Hillsdale and Ashland are two similar small private football loving schools like U Indy and that is lost without D2 GMAC. U Indy wouldn't easily give up their rivalry with Hilldale so makes me think Hillsdale might be thinking D1 as well. Losing Hillsdale and Ashland but gaining Lindenwood back and Southern Indiana for basketball plus adding IUPUI is the trade off as far as athletics go. Southern Indiana probably thought they could run and hide from U Indy basketball competition so kind of funny. Interesting thing all groups surveyed at Southern Indiana if in favor of competing at D1 level or not voted NO except for the even split among their athletes and they still ended up voting D1. Why have the survey if you don't listen to the results? https://www.usi.edu/explore-di/proce...urvey-results/

Tennessee Martin and Lindenwood won't have much luck recruiting Indianapolis if U Indy joins the FCS. As far as Butler, that Top Dog Trophy was a great longtime tradition and belongs at U Indy! The Greyhounds beat the Bulldogs the last year it was played but Butler said no fair we don't have any freshman on athletic grants anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Nevadaman23
    replied
    im hoping they make the move to D1. it be a great move and they def. wouldnt have a problem competing

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    TheDog - Yes, my observations were admittedly not very scientific. Extremely small sample size (one dad with three daughters at the same private school). However, what I was seeing on a micro scale did seem to match the BU analysis.

I'm seeing more and more speculation regarding a move to the OVC. If so, congrats. I think it's a good move for UIndy - and yes, the IUI thing (which forces a "defend your turf mentality") may be one added reason to make the move now.

Leave a comment:

• TheDog
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Would love to see UIndy in the G-MAC, but completely understand the allure of D1. I've had 3 kids graduate HS in the past 4 years. I've noticed that their generation is much more brand conscious than my generation was when picking colleges. Most of their friends went to D1 schools that we have all heard of. Then, there is a group that is more cost-conscious and is going to community college, local nursing schools, etc. There are a lot of schools in that gap between community college and D1 - but for some reason, kids just don't seem to be attracted to them as much as they used to be. What I notice is that almost every friend that is going to a school in that gap is a student athlete. It was so noticeable to me that if I saw a kid wearing a shirt or hat from a small school, I'd ask my daughters what sport the kid is going to play in college. Inevitably, they would tell me that he/she is playing XX sport in college. When Bellarmine announced their move, they cited research and analysis that aligns with what I'm seeing locally. Basically, BU said that they felt like they would slowly decline in size and relevance if they did not make a bold move in an attempt to change their fate. Actually, I think BU gave more-honest answers and insight regarding the move than any school I can remember.

So, all that to say - I'd love to see UIndy in the G-MAC. But if not - I get it.
    Love your informal research study! The kind of thing I would do. My stats guy would say it's possible you have some contamination in your sampling, in that it might be athletes are much more likely to wear their school colors and gear than nonathletes. But we'd love the GMAC if D1 isn't the best move.

A couple other variables going on that I don't know enough about to mention but one I can comment on is the punch in the face of Indiana U planning to capitalize on our Indianapolis nametag in order to grow IUPUI. Big schools facing drops in enrollment too. That could sink a small private school in the gap between that you mention. So it might be for UIndy that we either jump into D1 and start swimming or we sink in the ship City of Indianapolis that's actually ours - we're the namesake. It's this town ain't big enough for the two of us. And other than IUPUI's swim program, don't believe they could hang with UIndy athletics, especially a few years down the D1 road.

Leave a comment:

• GLIAC Fan
    replied
    A really good read, thx for posting.

interesting about UINdy at end of article

Leave a comment:

• alwaysabeaver
    replied
    Interesting one-off from the AD at Quincy at the end of this article. He believes Indy's move to D1 is coming.
    https://www.wgem.com/2022/08/19/five...tic-offerings/

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Would love to see UIndy in the G-MAC, but completely understand the allure of D1. I've had 3 kids graduate HS in the past 4 years. I've noticed that their generation is much more brand conscious than my generation was when picking colleges. Most of their friends went to D1 schools that we have all heard of. Then, there is a group that is more cost-conscious and is going to community college, local nursing schools, etc. There are a lot of schools in that gap between community college and D1 - but for some reason, kids just don't seem to be attracted to them as much as they used to be. What I notice is that almost every friend that is going to a school in that gap is a student athlete. It was so noticeable to me that if I saw a kid wearing a shirt or hat from a small school, I'd ask my daughters what sport the kid is going to play in college. Inevitably, they would tell me that he/she is playing XX sport in college. When Bellarmine announced their move, they cited research and analysis that aligns with what I'm seeing locally. Basically, BU said that they felt like they would slowly decline in size and relevance if they did not make a bold move in an attempt to change their fate. Actually, I think BU gave more-honest answers and insight regarding the move than any school I can remember.

So, all that to say - I'd love to see UIndy in the G-MAC. But if not - I get it.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X