Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where does Missouri Southern turn?

Ok. So we can establish that you dont like Daye...and apparently you think Jay Thomas should get the job...Is he willing to come back to MSSU? This may have been in the post.....but I got distracted several times reading it.

His record at Northwestern State didnt exactly set the world on fire, and alot of his departure from MSSU will play a role in whether or not he would be welcomed back.

Dont get me wrong....I am also in the same belief that Bettasso is not the solution to the problem at MSSU. I also do not think Bradley is the solution either.

Comment

??
      Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE
        Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LionHeart View Post
          I appreciate that, but in my opinion MoSo has many that will apply, many that will want it, but only one in my opinion that has already proven he has a plan that will work. All the credit was given to someone else. It's a shame for his career that his progress stalled and fell off when he hired Daye as his DC. I don't know the story behind that, I know the two were close and have been since their days at LSU. But Coach Thomas is a ball coach, Coach Daye may be stupid, he's just smart enough to go get the right guy. Rumor has it that Thomas was the reason for Daye getting the head job at Nicholls St. I'd say rather than take my opinion, call Daryl Daye and ask about Thomas. Call Jon Robinson the GM for the Titans (actually look at his first interview as GM and watch him thank Robert Kraft and then Jay Thomas). Call Brandon Williams obviously, but also reach out to Ryon Phillips and call Jay McDowell. Call Pete Jenkins who trains all the top defensive lineman for the NFL Draft and ask about Jay Thomas' head coaching career and the places he's been and the AD's he's worked for. MoSo is a great school and I believe Jared is a great AD. That community loves good football, if you don't believe me, I remember when we made the trip over to Webb City to watch some guys. It was Coach, Landoll, and myself and the kids running around in light blue jersey's wanting to be Zirkle. He was pumped and we all talked about what we could do to make MoSo that place. We were gonna keep winning and put on a youth football camp and "friendraise". He talked to his defense about sitting by random people in class and getting them to invite their classmates to come watch them. We made a trip one weekend to Branson to go see some people he knew from Northwestern. I asked Coach Big Jake if they were boosters and he said kinda, but not really, just fans that he met during his time there. They bought our dinner and they were great people, but they knew him and he loaded us all up and drove the 3 hour round trip to Branson for an hour dinner. He made a trip to SEMO to watch a former athlete of his get inducted into the Hall of Fame and drove back that same day/night. Why? Because he's a good person. I think MoSo is on the edge of something really great. Speaking of edges, do they still have the stairway to heaven? You guys could make that a place to hold banners for "building for the future" or "Hall of Legends" and hang banners of the NFL guys. I'm sure there will be a long list of qualified guys looking to take the job, but I don't think you'll get one that has beaten 3 FBS opponents with lesser FCS teams (think that's more difficult than beating Northwest Missouri St.) and they were very close to beating Indiana after losing half his team and their uniforms to Katrina. I could keep writing, but he's been successful in the Southland which Fritz says is the FCS version of MIAA. Missed the FCS playoffs in their last seconds of their last game his second year, Fritz would know. If any of you have ties to people making decisions at Missouri Southern and you want to see them succeed, tell them to call people about Jay Thomas. It's been said that Daye approached him about the DC job, not him going to Daye. In a way, Jay Thomas had saved MOSO twice already. He gave them the process and brought in talent and that gave them 13 wins in two seasons. Then he saved them again when he hired Daye away so the rebuild could start, let him save the Lions again and make him head coach!
          Let me make a few calls and I can find the right people that will tell you if Jay Thomas would come back. I know he's turned down several big time jobs because it's not the right fit. I was told a few times he knew Northwestern State was a huge mess, but the chance to be a head coach again and some of his former players calling for him to come back and help them. He had three to four NFL type defensive lineman that he left at Northwestern to come be the DC for Daye. Honestly, he was the acting head coach under Daye at MoSo, so why not take the title?

If you want the run down on Northwestern State, there is two guys you can call. Jay Thomas is one of them and he's probably gonna take all the blame for what happened and the other guy is gonna tell you to call Coach Thomas, but what I do know is this: The fan base thought after year 1 he was going to get them to the national championship, in Year 2 beats LaTech, Sam Houston State (played for National Championship), and if he beats SFA in the final game of the year, they are in the FCS playoffs. Year 3, he brings in Daye who didn't recruit and the best game the defense played all year was the last game of the year when Daye left the team to go be with his daddy. Daye put a lot of the blame of lack of players and a poorly coached defensive line. Year 4, halfway through the season the defense is hot garbage and they lost a game to Lamar, up by 14 with 2 minutes to go. Thomas took the blame for the loss, but what I heard wasn't good for Daye. Thomas was going to make Landoll the DC for the rest of the year. You'd have to call one of them to find out why it didn't happen and that's when Big Jake left football. Daye was also going to "walk away", but then had second thoughts and was going to stay and "help" Coach Thomas. Coach Thomas turned and hired Brad Laird. That fifth season, they had a new defense and had to correct a lot of bad habits that Daye and another MoSo coach that followed him to NSU had installed. Thomas nearly beat LaTech AGAIN, tied in the fourth quarter. He was up for the entire game on Sam Houston State only to lose in the last minute. He lost a similar game to Nicholls State in the last minute after dominating the game. He also was in a back and forth game that fake punt eventually sealed their fate late in the fourth quarter as they lost to McNeese. Those are 3 FCS playoff teams that his less talented and less polished team was in games with. His best athlete was on the bench running scout team trying to get his grades up after transferring from LSU (Jazz Fergueson who is an NFL talent). He had momentum going in the right direction after year 2, if Daye had stayed at MoSo, there is a good chance that NSU is a top 4 program in the Southland and probably been to the playoffs twice. They program he took over was on the edge of academic probation and suffering character issues that had been there when he was a position coach. The football team won academic awards and had players from that program getting drafted and signed by NFL teams. They had guys winning community service awards and their defense the first two seasons had people paying attention. The attendance was the best they had had in years. They had already signed him to one contract extension after year 2, the people in that area still love him. When Daye came in the defense went to hot garbage. Look up the numbers!! Turnovers went down, 3rd down conversions went up, scoring defense went down. They gave up 300+ yards rushing a game because of Daye's 3-3-5. Don't quote me on this, but Coach Landoll was like a son to Coach Thomas and when he left football. I think that was the final straw for Coach Thomas and Daye. Coach Daye and I had our days end when I left MoSo. I may have wrote this already or I may have thought about writing this; but Daye tried to sabotage an interview I had with LSU. In coaching, coaches don't call references, they call people you know and they know. Someone from LSU called him and asked about me, he ran me so far into the ground as a person, a coach and anything else I'll never have a good thing to say about that guy, so yes I don't like Daye and it's better for kids if he gets out of coaching and just retires to Baton Rouge on his families oil money. Thomas is a great coach and Daye derailed the progress they were making. It's facts that you can look at the statistics in a season by season breakdown and see NSU was terrible when Daye was on staff. I know people who still have ties to NSU and he had the entire football program banned from a bar in town after some big ordeal he was a part of there.

I do know that Thomas had talked to Landoll, who is working in Kansas City out of football, about the potential if the job was available last year. I know because Landoll called me to gauge my interest in running the offense. He had stopped by there at the end of last season, mentioned 4 players had quit that same day and he saw one of his former players. He said if the fieldhouse was there when we were, we'd have no problem recruiting, he had a bunch of ideas. I think he keeps in touch with Jared and a few boosters, but I don't know for sure. He told me he went to watch a few games and they have talent in a lot of areas, a big TE that I could throw the ball too until his hands fell off. He mentioned moving a few guys to different positions to get more athletic, but the oline had size. I don't know if Thomas and him still feel that way about MoSo, it's been a while since I talked to him. But you won't know unless you ask them.

As for making anyone angry when he left? To my knowledge, the only people upset were a few guys on staff like Bob Howell and Watson. Carey was upset too because he thought he would take Bob and he would be the OC. We made friends easily, we'd finish breaking down film in the mornings and head over to the cafeteria for an energy drink and cross paths with the academic ladies and people in career development. Brenda and Karessa and Julie were always friendly to us and I thought we did a good job. I know we always cracked on Big Jake because that basketball coach was a KU legend and he's a huge KU fan. He said, "I used to stand in my backyard and hit threes from the corner pretending to be him." haha he wouldn't ever talk to him. Coach Thomas made friends with everyone, Coach Daye was more the "love me or hate me" guy. I don't think anyone can blame Thomas for taking the opportunity to move up to D1 as a head coach. Who does that as a D2 coordinator?
          I am honestly confused at this point with the massive paragraphs that are being written, people being called by their nicknames, the back and forth, and the interjections about the stadium....

So..you like Jay Thomas....hate Daye (which is fine, but HC's get the credit or blame regardless of what the assistants do)...and think the current AD is great.

I will only argue with you that the current AD is a moron, and if he knew Thomas was so great he would have tried to keep him at all costs, knowing Daye would implode.

Comment

[QUOTE
            Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I appreciate that, but in my opinion MoSo has many that will apply, many that will want it, but only one in my opinion that has already proven he has a plan that will work. All the credit was given to someone else. It's a shame for his career that his progress stalled and fell off when he hired Daye as his DC. I don't know the story behind that, I know the two were close and have been since their days at LSU. But Coach Thomas is a ball coach, Coach Daye may be stupid, he's just smart enough to go get the right guy. Rumor has it that Thomas was the reason for Daye getting the head job at Nicholls St. I'd say rather than take my opinion, call Daryl Daye and ask about Thomas. Call Jon Robinson the GM for the Titans (actually look at his first interview as GM and watch him thank Robert Kraft and then Jay Thomas). Call Brandon Williams obviously, but also reach out to Ryon Phillips and call Jay McDowell. Call Pete Jenkins who trains all the top defensive lineman for the NFL Draft and ask about Jay Thomas' head coaching career and the places he's been and the AD's he's worked for. MoSo is a great school and I believe Jared is a great AD. That community loves good football, if you don't believe me, I remember when we made the trip over to Webb City to watch some guys. It was Coach, Landoll, and myself and the kids running around in light blue jersey's wanting to be Zirkle. He was pumped and we all talked about what we could do to make MoSo that place. We were gonna keep winning and put on a youth football camp and "friendraise". He talked to his defense about sitting by random people in class and getting them to invite their classmates to come watch them. We made a trip one weekend to Branson to go see some people he knew from Northwestern. I asked Coach Big Jake if they were boosters and he said kinda, but not really, just fans that he met during his time there. They bought our dinner and they were great people, but they knew him and he loaded us all up and drove the 3 hour round trip to Branson for an hour dinner. He made a trip to SEMO to watch a former athlete of his get inducted into the Hall of Fame and drove back that same day/night. Why? Because he's a good person. I think MoSo is on the edge of something really great. Speaking of edges, do they still have the stairway to heaven? You guys could make that a place to hold banners for "building for the future" or "Hall of Legends" and hang banners of the NFL guys. I'm sure there will be a long list of qualified guys looking to take the job, but I don't think you'll get one that has beaten 3 FBS opponents with lesser FCS teams (think that's more difficult than beating Northwest Missouri St.) and they were very close to beating Indiana after losing half his team and their uniforms to Katrina. I could keep writing, but he's been successful in the Southland which Fritz says is the FCS version of MIAA. Missed the FCS playoffs in their last seconds of their last game his second year, Fritz would know. If any of you have ties to people making decisions at Missouri Southern and you want to see them succeed, tell them to call people about Jay Thomas. It's been said that Daye approached him about the DC job, not him going to Daye. In a way, Jay Thomas had saved MOSO twice already. He gave them the process and brought in talent and that gave them 13 wins in two seasons. Then he saved them again when he hired Daye away so the rebuild could start, let him save the Lions again and make him head coach!
              Let me make a few calls and I can find the right people that will tell you if Jay Thomas would come back. I know he's turned down several big time jobs because it's not the right fit. I was told a few times he knew Northwestern State was a huge mess, but the chance to be a head coach again and some of his former players calling for him to come back and help them. He had three to four NFL type defensive lineman that he left at Northwestern to come be the DC for Daye. Honestly, he was the acting head coach under Daye at MoSo, so why not take the title?

If you want the run down on Northwestern State, there is two guys you can call. Jay Thomas is one of them and he's probably gonna take all the blame for what happened and the other guy is gonna tell you to call Coach Thomas, but what I do know is this: The fan base thought after year 1 he was going to get them to the national championship, in Year 2 beats LaTech, Sam Houston State (played for National Championship), and if he beats SFA in the final game of the year, they are in the FCS playoffs. Year 3, he brings in Daye who didn't recruit and the best game the defense played all year was the last game of the year when Daye left the team to go be with his daddy. Daye put a lot of the blame of lack of players and a poorly coached defensive line. Year 4, halfway through the season the defense is hot garbage and they lost a game to Lamar, up by 14 with 2 minutes to go. Thomas took the blame for the loss, but what I heard wasn't good for Daye. Thomas was going to make Landoll the DC for the rest of the year. You'd have to call one of them to find out why it didn't happen and that's when Big Jake left football. Daye was also going to "walk away", but then had second thoughts and was going to stay and "help" Coach Thomas. Coach Thomas turned and hired Brad Laird. That fifth season, they had a new defense and had to correct a lot of bad habits that Daye and another MoSo coach that followed him to NSU had installed. Thomas nearly beat LaTech AGAIN, tied in the fourth quarter. He was up for the entire game on Sam Houston State only to lose in the last minute. He lost a similar game to Nicholls State in the last minute after dominating the game. He also was in a back and forth game that fake punt eventually sealed their fate late in the fourth quarter as they lost to McNeese. Those are 3 FCS playoff teams that his less talented and less polished team was in games with. His best athlete was on the bench running scout team trying to get his grades up after transferring from LSU (Jazz Fergueson who is an NFL talent). He had momentum going in the right direction after year 2, if Daye had stayed at MoSo, there is a good chance that NSU is a top 4 program in the Southland and probably been to the playoffs twice. They program he took over was on the edge of academic probation and suffering character issues that had been there when he was a position coach. The football team won academic awards and had players from that program getting drafted and signed by NFL teams. They had guys winning community service awards and their defense the first two seasons had people paying attention. The attendance was the best they had had in years. They had already signed him to one contract extension after year 2, the people in that area still love him. When Daye came in the defense went to hot garbage. Look up the numbers!! Turnovers went down, 3rd down conversions went up, scoring defense went down. They gave up 300+ yards rushing a game because of Daye's 3-3-5. Don't quote me on this, but Coach Landoll was like a son to Coach Thomas and when he left football. I think that was the final straw for Coach Thomas and Daye. Coach Daye and I had our days end when I left MoSo. I may have wrote this already or I may have thought about writing this; but Daye tried to sabotage an interview I had with LSU. In coaching, coaches don't call references, they call people you know and they know. Someone from LSU called him and asked about me, he ran me so far into the ground as a person, a coach and anything else I'll never have a good thing to say about that guy, so yes I don't like Daye and it's better for kids if he gets out of coaching and just retires to Baton Rouge on his families oil money. Thomas is a great coach and Daye derailed the progress they were making. It's facts that you can look at the statistics in a season by season breakdown and see NSU was terrible when Daye was on staff. I know people who still have ties to NSU and he had the entire football program banned from a bar in town after some big ordeal he was a part of there.

I do know that Thomas had talked to Landoll, who is working in Kansas City out of football, about the potential if the job was available last year. I know because Landoll called me to gauge my interest in running the offense. He had stopped by there at the end of last season, mentioned 4 players had quit that same day and he saw one of his former players. He said if the fieldhouse was there when we were, we'd have no problem recruiting, he had a bunch of ideas. I think he keeps in touch with Jared and a few boosters, but I don't know for sure. He told me he went to watch a few games and they have talent in a lot of areas, a big TE that I could throw the ball too until his hands fell off. He mentioned moving a few guys to different positions to get more athletic, but the oline had size. I don't know if Thomas and him still feel that way about MoSo, it's been a while since I talked to him. But you won't know unless you ask them.

As for making anyone angry when he left? To my knowledge, the only people upset were a few guys on staff like Bob Howell and Watson. Carey was upset too because he thought he would take Bob and he would be the OC. We made friends easily, we'd finish breaking down film in the mornings and head over to the cafeteria for an energy drink and cross paths with the academic ladies and people in career development. Brenda and Karessa and Julie were always friendly to us and I thought we did a good job. I know we always cracked on Big Jake because that basketball coach was a KU legend and he's a huge KU fan. He said, "I used to stand in my backyard and hit threes from the corner pretending to be him." haha he wouldn't ever talk to him. Coach Thomas made friends with everyone, Coach Daye was more the "love me or hate me" guy. I don't think anyone can blame Thomas for taking the opportunity to move up to D1 as a head coach. Who does that as a D2 coordinator?
              Coaches coach, AD's raise money and hire head coaches to run their programs. He hired Daye, Daye brought in Thomas and instant success happened. I don't know if Jared knew what was walking away, but how do you stop a guy from leaving his coordinator position for a D1 program HC position? Do you? Does MoSO pony up $180K that NSU was paying him to be the head coach? Let's think about what we are saying here.
              Well lets just say that the only thing the current AD has done, is raise some money, but I think that has more to do with other people at MSSU than him.

So, if Daye is as bad as you say....and the AD hired him....shouldnt that AD be considered an idiot for making that hire seeing as though Daye has a pretty long track record of picking up and leaving pretty quick.

Comment

I/me/my
                Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I don't think many knew Daye would implode either. Give the man credit, he is good at talking to people he needs things from. His title may have been impressive with the Bills, but his duties entailed hanging up meeting times around the building. He has pictures standing on sidelines, but none of them involve him coaching. But you can't put that on your resume. So I don't know that Jared knew he would implode, but he has people still around MoSo that would like to have him back regardless of where he recruited guys from. That's not Jared's fault for trusting Daye, it's Daye's fault for abusing that trust and then running from responsibility.
                  I've also met Darrell Daye, and knew him from the time he first showed up on campus with Bart. The dude is a smooth talker and one wild man. But for the limited interactions that I had with him, I could tell that he would not last nor was he showing that he truly wanted to stick around for the long run and I guess that if the AD couldnt see that coming from him, then his lack of common sense is worse than I thought...

We will probably have to agree to disagree on some points here..I do appreciate your love and concern for who gets the job at Southern. I agree with some of your analysis on who is good/bad for the job. I hope that if Thomas is interested in the job he applies, and I hope whoever does the hiring picks the right person.

Comment

[QUOTE=MSSU LIONS;2267297]Well lets just say that the only thing the current AD has done, is raise some money, but I think that has more to do with other people at MSSU than him.

So
                    Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

[QUOT
                      Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Rod Smith
                        IH8FERRIS

Comment

I hope Coach Thomas shows interest, I think it could be a great match. I appreciate your insight and apologize for the long responses, but I do care. I think it's a place that someone who values the right things and has the right schemes can win. I don't know that spread is the right pick, that wind in Missouri too strong at times.

You may be wiser than the rest of us because I've met a lot of people through coaching from the NFL coaching development school to a number of other places that opened my eyes to Daye. It was the interview with LSU where he trashed my work that finally just broke any ties I had with the guy. I reflect on my time at MoSo and I think when Daye left, Jared probably exhaled and moved forward. How do you fire a guy that has six wins in his first season and then wins 7 in year 2 and beats Pitt State? Wild or not, but I think by the end of that season, Daye had revealed his true colors and a lot of talent walked away.

Just a suggestion take or leave - I think your recommendation of Thomas would go alot farther if you werent so hateful of everyone else. Everyone you talked about was either the Greatest or the Worst and it all depends on how they dealt with you. You were a coach if you are going to put all these people on Blast you should sign your name. I am sure coach Thomas is a very good man and coach but at NSU all of his mistakes you blame on Daye BUT he was the Head Coach part of being the Head Coach is hiring of staff.

I think MSSU needs to find the best person for the University in 2018, to win in the MIAA today - its not about what old timers want - its about whats best for the 18-24 year olds. Let find a coach who is going to Build a program for the Players to be successful on and off the field not a guy that recruits Southwest Missouri and gets along at the morning Coffee. If he stays for 30 years Great if he stays for 3 Great as long as his time is successful for the students - I always feel they are the last ones we worry about - I could not imagine what its like to practice, lift, train, and walk around campus having not won a game in 2 years. When we talk about hiring a good man - we should also be good people in the evaluation process there are very few perfect people so it is easy to degrade anyone. Lets just find the best for MSSU. All the Best.

Comment

I used to be the Assistant AD at NSU and know a few people, too ... all of whom love Jay ...

Comment

NewLionFan
                              Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
                                I used to be the Assistant AD at NSU and know a few people, too ... all of whom love Jay ...
                                !
                                Last edited by LionHeart; 09-29-2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X