Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lindenwood to GLVC

The geographical reasoning for a move like this for Lindenwood makes a lot of sense. In D2, we do not get the TV money like they do in FBS, so things like travel budgets and overall conference competitiveness in all sports are huge drivers. Look at Stugart at Sioux Falls. Both they and Lindenwood had a lot of success in the NAIA prior to moving up. You can say both made a decent transition to D2, but Sioux Falls barely skipped a beat under Stugart's watch and were basically snubbed from the playoffs in 2014. They completed from day one in the very deep NSIC. I feel that had he been at Lindenwood already, they may have already had the same success. The GLVC may be an easier road to the playoffs in D2 football, but with Lindenwood's current trajectory, I feel that they could definitely do better than Indianapolis (arguably the best team in this conference on a consistent basis) has done in the playoffs recently.

Comment

I understand the geographic reasons and all the other sports that the MIAA doesn't compete in. With several schools being in the ST Louis area, they can build geographic rivalries and have a chance to pack stadiums full more often.

Comment

And good teams can come out of weaker conferences. Pitt did it bitd, Pueblo has done it, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
          Take it from a wussy spelled with a P
          That seems unnecessary ...

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
            Disagree, especially if they can consistently stack their non- conference schedule with quality opponents, including FCS competition (SEMO, SIUC, MSU).

Also, the LU coaching staff has and done a fantastic job of establishing themselves within the STL HS football scene. Jed is already well known and respected around the STL community, and has created a buzz, excitement, and interest from local talent that simply wasn't there during the Ross era. It's a reason why a player like Cade Brister chose LU over Pitt State, who wanted him pretty bad.

I know you think you've got a grip on who LU is, but your really don't. I understand why you might think that from a distance though, as most of your exposure was from the previous regime and how they did things. They school was pretty loyal to them considering what they did for them in the past, and maybe held on a tad bit too long. This has never been an admin or community that's been content with mediocrity. I would be willing to bet the house that LU would be winning more than 5 games consistently. I'm not saying they'd be at NW or even Pitt levels anytime soon. But I could envision them settling into the MW, WU, ESU, FHSU and maybe even UCMs of the conference.... fairly consistent solid football with chances to make playoff runs every few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              And good teams can come out of weaker conferences. Pitt did it bitd, Pueblo has done it, etc...
              Different day. Different era. Different kids.

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
                Different day. Different era. Different kids.
                Pueblo just did it a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                  Disagree, especially if they can consistently stack their non- conference schedule with quality opponents, including FCS competition (SEMO, SIUC, MSU).

Also, the LU coaching staff has and done a fantastic job of establishing themselves within the STL HS football scene. Jed is already well known and respected around the STL community, and has created a buzz, excitement, and interest from local talent that simply wasn't there during the Ross era. It's a reason why a player like Cade Brister chose LU over Pitt State, who wanted him pretty bad.

I know you think you've got a grip on who LU is, but your really don't. I understand why you might think that from a distance though, as most of your exposure was from the previous regime and how they did things. They school was pretty loyal to them considering what they did for them in the past, and maybe held on a tad bit too long. This has never been an admin or community that's been content with mediocrity. I would be willing to bet the house that LU would be winning more than 5 games consistently. I'm not saying they'd be at NW or even Pitt levels anytime soon. But I could envision them settling into the MW, WU, ESU, FHSU and maybe even UCMs of the conference.... fairly consistent solid football with chances to make playoff runs every few years.
                  I think the first 2-3 years in the GLVC will be HUGE for Lindenwood. If they're able to schedule quality non-con, win those games, win the conference and then put up a fight in the POs, it won't be a problem. Especially if it is accompanied by rising attendance on campus. At that point, they'll be established as a team that runs the conference table because they have to, but the real games are the non-cons and the POs, much like Pitt State was in the MIAA until NW became what it became.

Conversely, if they go 0-1 or 0-0 in the POs in the first three years, no "commitment to excellence" will be strong enough to overcome the weaker circumstance they left themselves in by joining a conference where football just isn't the same priority it is in the MIAA.

Fortunately for Lindenwood, I think they're in a great position to do exactly what I described initially. With the shape their team is in and the progress they seem to have made, I think they'll be a top 2 team in the GLVC right away and, with a little improvement prospectively, be the best team there. At that point, they should be able to go as far in football as their actual, honest-to-goodness progress on the field takes them.

Obviously, this is entirely setting aside every sport other than football, for all of which it sounds as though the GLVC is a better fit for them and for which I don't care unless Pitt State is playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
                    That seems unnecessary ...
                    https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/6...yaS-Bhm5X.copy

Comment

Boooooooo!

Comment

Boooooooo!

Comment

Pueblo just did it a few years ago.
                          And the RMAC is a better conference than the GLVC. Mines destroyed SBU a couple of years ago in the playoffs as a point of reference.

Comment

Boooooooo!
                            Since joining the powerful and sturdy GLVC, Lincoln football is 2-31 in conference games. Unless you want another tin can to beat around, why bring them back?! I'd actually worry about their kids getting hurt when they play Pitt, Northwest, Central Mo etc

Comment

regarding Abe rejoining the MIAA:

so, what kind of conference allows perhaps the worst D-2 football program in America to come and go into the conference any time it wishes? Abe is a crummy little school that annually fields a extremely crummy football team. an embarrassment. a joke. a parody. in essence, Abe was, and will always be, a bye week even for such lousy programs as MOSO and NEOK. Abe simply doesn't give a damn about improving its poor, pathetic product and they have proved that for decades now. if Commissioner Racy allows this pathetic welfare school into the MIAA then that makes him no better than Mumblin' Jim who originally started this whole quantity over quality mess. if Racy does this then it is proof he does not care about the quality of the MIAA, just cares about the quantity of the league and his own resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbadbod View Post
                                regarding Abe rejoining the MIAA:

so, what kind of conference allows perhaps the worst D-2 football program in America to come and go into the conference any time it wishes? Abe is a crummy little school that annually fields a extremely crummy football team. an embarrassment. a joke. a parody. in essence, Abe was, and will always be, a bye week even for such lousy programs as MOSO and NEOK. Abe simply doesn't give a damn about improving its poor, pathetic product and they have proved that for decades now. if Commissioner Racy allows this pathetic welfare school into the MIAA then that makes him no better than Mumblin' Jim who originally started this whole quantity over quality mess. if Racy does this then it is proof he does not care about the quality of the MIAA, just cares about the quantity of the league and his own resume.
                                Lincoln is ALREADY in the MIAA. If the conferences don't renew the agreement that has them playing football in the GLVC, and the GLVC has no reason to renew, then Lincoln football is back. The only way out would be if Lincoln would rather play as an independent, as SBU did for a few years, and the conference agrees.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X