Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lindenwood to GLVC

Lincoln and SW Baptist just need to get out and go full membership to the GLVC. Newman is being added to the MIAA so I'd rather stay at 11 football teams for the time being and work to elevate Newman to having football in Wichita.

Comment

Good move for LWU.

One has to wonder though, would the current administration still make this conference move to the GLVC if the big three (basketball, football, baseball) had consistently fielded MIAA Championship caliber teams?

My thoughts, probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
        I understand we're on a FB message board, but surely you understand that there is a world outside of football right?

This is way more to do with travel costs of sports like basketball, baseball, volleyball, where you take road trips to every other team in the conference every year. LU literally has 2 other GLVC schools within 15-20 minutes of their campus.
        As a wrestling fan, having Lindenwood in the conference has been great and they have always been competitive in wrestling so they will be missed. It also opened up recruiting avenues for Hays, Kearney, and UCO in the St. Louis area they paid dividends for those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by FightnMulz View Post
          Good move for LWU.

One has to wonder though, would the current administration still make this conference move to the GLVC if the big three (basketball, football, baseball) had consistently fielded MIAA Championship caliber teams?

You, my friend have hit the nail on the head. So since UCM football always seems to finish third and basketball is not making the post season what conference can UCM go to.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
            Idk. In a different conf they may be able to string together winning seasons. That would attract more local kids, keep talent in St. Louis, they could be a problem if they built momentum.
            signed,
            rolla
            sbu

it's a loser move.

they could have competed here too. fhs exposes every quitter re: what's possible in 2018 if yer committed to it.

whatev, bring on the noncons as you said. in a few yrs we'll barely remember them, no offense to bigsig b/c he seems like a good dood.
            Go Bearcats!
            M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
              As a wrestling fan, having Lindenwood in the conference has been great and they have always been competitive in wrestling so they will be missed. It also opened up recruiting avenues for Hays, Kearney, and UCO in the St. Louis area they paid dividends for those teams.
              I'll note though; Lindenwood was not in the same regional as the other MIAA teams in wrestling as the divide in distance was to great and they went to an eastern regional while the rest of MIAA goes west. So the move to GLVC certainly helps them as they'll compete against teams more naturally in their regional.

Comment

Good move for LWU.

in other news water's wet.
                Go Bearcats!
                M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                  Lincoln and SW Baptist just need to get out and go full membership to the GLVC. Newman is being added to the MIAA so I'd rather stay at 11 football teams for the time being and work to elevate Newman to having football in Wichita.
                  Baptist has already done that. Lincoln can't be a full member of the GLVC as they do not compete is several sports that are required for membership.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post
                    in other news water's wet.
                    Roger; point is - everyone is talking about travel and $$. Logical, yes - but just a screen over the main reason they're jumping ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
                      You, my friend have hit the nail on the head. So since UCM football always seems to finish third and basketball is not making the post season what conference can UCM go to.
                      Not the GLVC, the Mules don't play soccer (it's required).

Comment

Roger; point is - everyone is talking about travel and $$. Logical, yes - but just a screen over the main reason they're jumping ship.
                        they're being political. if that were true they'd have never joined the league. not like the map's changed. obv what's going on. i wasn't trying to be smart toward you btw......might have come off like that.
                        Go Bearcats!
                        M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Much has changed in the MIAA in 30 years. Until the conference expanded in the 1989-90 school year, only Maryville was west of Warrensburg. With the Lindenwood move, only Jeff City is east of Warrensburg.
                          Last edited by Randy; 10-04-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                            Much has changed in the MIAA in 30 years. Until the conference expanded in the 1989-90 school year, only Maryville was west of Warrensburg. With the Lindenwood move, only Jeff City is east of Warrensburg.
                            I still remember Pitt's first year in the MIAA in 1989, and seeing a Kansas school win the Missouri Inter-collegiate Athletic Association title for the first time. My eleven-year-old brain didn't understand how a Kansas team could be the best in Missouri...

Also, when we played the Presbyterian (SC) Blue Hose in the playoffs that year, I had just discovered West Coast Gangsta Rap and thought their team name was hysterical. I'm 41, and still think it's hilarious.
                            I like turtles.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                              That non-con game would be 1 a week each of the 11 weeks. Much more difficult to get a noncon game further into the season than week 1 or 2. Bye may end up being the option for some. The schedules are already set for next season. Though as a couple have alluded to isn't Lincoln's deal expiring soon?
                              Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
                                LWood won't get the same type of athletes in the GLVC. They may make it in the first couple of years but their talent will erode simply due to players not wanting to go to such a poor football conference.

This move matches who they are. They were a 5 win team at best in the MIAA.
                                I think you're putting too much faith in how many HS football players have even heard of the MIAA or GLVC (besides people in the respective schools' communities, obviously). It may be a consideration for a few, but even then I'd bet its waaaaay down the list.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X