Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lindenwood to GLVC

Lincoln will return to the MIAA in football to replace Lindenwood. Take it to the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
      Not all about football, dude. The GLVC is a better basketball league, and with travel expenses, this makes a LOT of sense f/ L-wood.
      Take it from a wussy spelled with a P

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
        If that was reality LWU wouldn't be jumping ship and seeking out inferior competition in relation to the rest of the division. The GLVC is half MIAA rejects. LWood the most recent. LWood is seeking those elusive Ws they thought would come with the initial move to D2.
        I understand we're on a FB message board, but surely you understand that there is a world outside of football right?

This is way more to do with travel costs of sports like basketball, baseball, volleyball, where you take road trips to every other team in the conference every year. LU literally has 2 other GLVC schools within 15-20 minutes of their campus.
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
          I understand we're on a FB message board, but surely you understand that there is a world outside of football right?

This is way more to do with travel costs of sports like basketball, baseball, volleyball, where you take road trips to every other team in the conference every year. LU literally has 2 other GLVC schools within 15-20 minutes of their campus.
          For someone with the name "Taxman" you would think he would understand the money aspect of things....

Comment

I would expect that Lindenwood & Lincoln will just replace each other in each conference's schedules. The GLVC will have 8 football teams from full conference members and won't need Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              I would expect that Lindenwood & Lincoln will just replace each other in each conference's schedules. The GLVC will have 8 football teams from full conference members and won't need Lincoln.
              If I'm another MIAA team, I'd be irked about this possibility. Lincoln is only about an hour closer than Lindenwood is, and will simply join the fray with MoSo and NSU. Lindenwood may not be that far from the fray right now, but I feel pretty confident that they'll be a middle of the pack to upper tier within next few years had they stayed.

It also eliminates the possibility of non-con games.

I'm not looking forward to this move, but I will be happy to get some variety from year to year with non conference games.
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Lincoln probably wouldn't like it either. Lincoln is able to pocket some cash playing in "classic" games against other HBCU teams. They can't do that and play in the MIAA the way things are right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
                    They'll roll in the GLVC - Look at SBU --- Welcome to the Playoffs, Lindenwood football.
                    LWood won't get the same type of athletes in the GLVC. They may make it in the first couple of years but their talent will erode simply due to players not wanting to go to such a poor football conference.

This move matches who they are. They were a 5 win team at best in the MIAA.

Comment

Bigsig is right on. LW currently has three (Lincoln, Southwest Baptist, Central Missouri) MIAA schools within 3.5 hours of campus, which would drop to two starting next year with SBU's departure. Making this move increases that to nine (Illinois Springfield, Maryville, McKendree, Missouri S&T, UMSL, Quincy, Southern Indiana, Southwest Baptist, Truman) for 2018-19. Huge difference! Not to mention practically swapping Drury/Missouri Southern, and saving more time with Rockhurst/Jewell vs. MoWest/Northwest/Washburn. The longest trip for LW now is either Bellarmine or Lewis (about 4:15 each). They could drive to/from those places in the time it takes to get to Kearney or Hays, and I'd much rather spend an off day between games in Chicago or Louisville than those places.

And, I get that this section on this message board centers on football, but outside of FB, I'd put the GLVC on par (some better, some worse) with any MIAA sport. The current D2 softball champion resides in the GLVC. Men's and women's basketball in both conferences have perennial powers at the top and strong depth in the middle. Soccer top-to-bottom is a huge advantage to the GLVC, while baseball would definitely lean MIAA. Practically every women's swimming champion for the past 15 years currently resides in the GLVC with Truman and Drury. Volleyball in each league has been super successful in recent years. For the majority of Lindenwood's sports, this is a lateral move because of the depth of the GLVC.

Comment

That non-con game would be 1 a week each of the 11 weeks. Much more difficult to get a noncon game further into the season than week 1 or 2. Bye may end up being the option for some. The schedules are already set for next season. Though as a couple have alluded to isn't Lincoln's deal expiring soon?

Comment

What does a 4-6 won team in the MIAA (where I'm guessing LU will fall) equate to in the GLVC?
                          top 2 or 3

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                            That non-con game would be 1 a week each of the 11 weeks. Much more difficult to get a noncon game further into the season than week 1 or 2. Bye may end up being the option for some. The schedules are already set for next season. Though as a couple have alluded to isn't Lincoln's deal expiring soon?

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
                              LWood won't get the same type of athletes in the GLVC. They may make it in the first couple of years but their talent will erode simply due to players not wanting to go to such a poor football conference.

This move matches who they are. They were a 5 win team at best in the MIAA.
                              Disagree, especially if they can consistently stack their non- conference schedule with quality opponents, including FCS competition (SEMO, SIUC, MSU).

Also, the LU coaching staff has and done a fantastic job of establishing themselves within the STL HS football scene. Jed is already well known and respected around the STL community, and has created a buzz, excitement, and interest from local talent that simply wasn't there during the Ross era. It's a reason why a player like Cade Brister chose LU over Pitt State, who wanted him pretty bad.

I know you think you've got a grip on who LU is, but your really don't. I understand why you might think that from a distance though, as most of your exposure was from the previous regime and how they did things. They school was pretty loyal to them considering what they did for them in the past, and maybe held on a tad bit too long. This has never been an admin or community that's been content with mediocrity. I would be willing to bet the house that LU would be winning more than 5 games consistently. I'm not saying they'd be at NW or even Pitt levels anytime soon. But I could envision them settling into the MW, WU, ESU, FHSU and maybe even UCMs of the conference.... fairly consistent solid football with chances to make playoff runs every few years.
                              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Probably a smart move on LU's account. I will miss their FB/soccer stadium. It is one of the nicest looking and well designed stadiums that I have experienced.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X