Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wallst View Post

How much of this is NW inbreeding of coaches? We obviously had that issue at Pitt so I'm not throwing stones or feces. Or, how much of it is the other teams in the MIAA finally getting tired of being mauled every and upgrading their teams both on the sideline and in recruiting? I'm shocked but love seeing MoSo getting mentioned in a kids twitter along with Pitt and NW. At this level, there is also the God Forbid student athlete portion of where a kids attends school too. So what schools offer what majors becomes important. Will be interesting to see how ESU chopping majors affects their recruiting in the next 2-3 years.
    From the eye test, NW isn't what they were during their prime.

Sure, Pitt and Kearney are improving, but from what they've shown so far, they wouldn't hang with those teams. I hope Pitt gets there, but they aren't there yet, imo.

Comment

To be fair, not many teams reach the level NW was at in their prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
        To be fair, not many teams reach the level NW was at in their prime.
        Which is why it was unrealistic for NW fans to think we'd be able to stay at that level (with or without AD). We're kind of at the level right now that we were from 1999 to 2006 after the first two championships. Still really good and winning conference titles more years than we don't, making the playoffs (which may not happen this year)... but that first of 5 straight National Championship games team (2005) was only 6-3 in the conference. We had a 4 year stretch from 2013-2016 where we were an absolute buzzsaw... we were spoiled.

Comment

Originally posted by lleachieshusband View Post

Is it fair to rag on the OL coach given the injury situation? Or should we just lump things into a general case of the offensive staff in general not coaching up the backups very well?
          I think it is fair when the OL (except for Tanner Owen who I think transferred before AD left) has gotten worse every year (IMO-or at best hasn’t improved) since he’s been here.
          Last edited by GoCatsGo5; 10-13-2022, 05:43 PM.

Comment

NW’s only hope of postseason play would be a D2 Bowl Game, if they would even accept one if offered

Comment

When was the last time the MIAA didn’t get at least two teams in?

Comment

I think this year can be chalked up to some development issues at QB, plus the first season after the NIL/ Transfer Portal. Add in guys hanging around an extra year for COVID and you got guys who in the past would have stayed and waited for their time going elsewhere without much deterrent. NW had several skill position players move on that would definitely be contributing now. The staff will need to make an adjustment in order to get this program back to being dominant again.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post

I think it is fair when the OL (except for Tanner Owen who I think transferred before AD left) has gotten worse every year (IMO-or at best hasn’t improved) since he’s been here.
                  I disagree 100%. Maybe people forget how for the last 3-4 years under AD - the OL couldn’t get 1-2 yards to save their life. You could guarantee if it was 1st and goal from the 5 yard line or less - NW was NOT going to be running the ball in. What AD was the master of was game planning and playing to his OL strengths and staying away from their weaknesses. Look at the 2017 season- the entire OL was the same as 2016. Everyone said that the Oline was a powerhouse in 2016. But in 2017 - when they didn’t have the mastermind hiding all their flaws- it showed exactly how pedestrian they were. They have gotten so much better since then. Other than Ferris St - I can’t think of any team that just ate them up lately. And Ferris St did that to everyone- the NW line gave them the best fight. Now the NW Oline stands their own ground - even though as of right now they are down to almost all Redshirt Freshman & Sophomores.

I honestly think that some people have never given the OL coach a shot because he’s not a Bearcat.

Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                    NW’s only hope of postseason play would be a D2 Bowl Game, if they would even accept one if offered
                    I wouldn’t if I were them.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post

I honestly think that some people have never given the OL coach a shot because he’s not a Bearcat.
                      You could be right about some people, but his background has nothing to do with my point of view. Quite the opposite…I actually was onboard with the hire considering what Winona’s run game was like when he was there. Just have not seen it translate to NW, and we obviously see things differently. If you can’t recruit or develop, then you need to scheme. I maybe see 1 of the 3 happening and it shows in the results. Not getting owned is not good enough. You’ve got to own the line (on both sides) if you want to compete for ‘ships!

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Moon View Post
                        I think this year can be chalked up to some development issues at QB, plus the first season after the NIL/ Transfer Portal. Add in guys hanging around an extra year for COVID and you got guys who in the past would have stayed and waited for their time going elsewhere without much deterrent. NW had several skill position players move on that would definitely be contributing now. The staff will need to make an adjustment in order to get this program back to being dominant again.
                        1. NIL
                        2. Transfer Portal
                        3. Covid

I’ll take “What are 3 issues facing most NCAA teams in the country for $200 Alex?”
                        Last edited by GoCatsGo5; 10-14-2022, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Which is why it was unrealistic for NW fans to think we'd be able to stay at that level (with or without AD)
                          Tell that to North Dakota State fans…moved up from D2 to FCS…how many coaching changes every few years and how many championships. Rare, sure…but also obviously can be done.

Comment

Tell that to North Dakota State fans…moved up from D2 to FCS…how many coaching changes every few years and how many championships. Rare, sure…but also obviously can be done.
                            400K a year and a huge budget tends to draw some pretty good coaches.

Comment

1. NIL
                              2. Transfer Portal
                              3. Covid

I’ll take “What are 3 issues facing most NCAA teams in the country for $200 Alex?”
                              I agree every NCAA team is dealing with it. But when your program has been built on guys coming in waiting their time, then being ready to hit the ground running, it is a big shift. Without the extra COVID year BW is gone and a younger QB would be getting more of an opportunity just as an example.

Comment

It hasn’t been mentioned (or at least haven’t heard), but what injuries have been keeping Hohensee off the field?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X