Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Humboldt State will discontinue after 2018 season

Originally posted by FlyHigh
    No, but it is sad, but it's made by the team for the team.

No one is talking about it outside of Humboldt, but this will have major ramifications on the black student population, and negative impacts on the other sports, including the female sports.

I know basketball is jumping up and down, they think this will be a Western Washington situation.
    Too bad sports have to cheer the demise of other sports on their campus, thinking it will benefit them. Not sure how cutting football benefits basketball. WWU won a national title because they got a Pac-10 transfer, who changed their game. WOU is dominating GNAC hoops of late with football still on campus.

Regarding my initial thoughts of an SID production, the University of Idaho moved back down to FCS, many boosters were furious, but UI has put out an in-house video series called "The Return" championing the return to FCS, when most didn't approve of the move, that was where I'm coming from. If a student wants to chronicle the ending of the sport, I hope he interviews the president and A.D. and asks the tough questions. Interviewing players should be a given; interviewing the admin will be tough and if they say no comment, video that, too.

Comment

I wish I weren't joking but...you can take as many teams from the NSIC as you want. We are bloated

Comment

• Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/spo...r-fight-police

Comment

Comment

• Comment

https://humboldtsports.com/2018/09/1...med-the-jacks/

Comment

Big 4 looks to be playing well with 3 teams at 4-0 and the 4th at 3-1! No league play, so do you have any idea how that will play out? Last weekend here the Oregon 5A champs went to 2-0 by beating the Washington 4A champs on the road to move to 2-0 in their first season in the MCC and WIAA.

Hermiston it sounds like had much better leadership, they took a longshot and reached out to Washington when they'd be bussing 3 hours each way for all games starting this year. Guess what, that long shot payed off and they are now playing in a league in Washington where all schools are within 40 miles of them. Sometimes that longshot success option pays off.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
                  Big 4 looks to be playing well with 3 teams at 4-0 and the 4th at 3-1! No league play, so do you have any idea how that will play out? Last weekend here the Oregon 5A champs went to 2-0 by beating the Washington 4A champs on the road to move to 2-0 in their first season in the MCC and WIAA.

Hermiston it sounds like had much better leadership, they took a longshot and reached out to Washington when they'd be bussing 3 hours each way for all games starting this year. Guess what, that long shot payed off and they are now playing in a league in Washington where all schools are within 40 miles of them. Sometimes that longshot success option pays off.
                  Great move by Hermiston, awesome that they're doing well in the state of Washington and also playing their schedule near their home town.

My suggestion for Humboldt State -- take it or leave it -- is to keep football next year as a club sport. Build that up -- play local semi-pro teams, maybe some JC's, etc. Pacific U. in Oregon, played a Lewiston, Idaho club team that is affiliated with Lewis-Clark State College, and I think they beat them. Pacific paid for their travel.

When bad president and clown A.D. leave/are fired/resign, etc., go to the next admin and say you want to transition your club team back up to D2. This will probably be tough, just an idea. Freaking WWU seems content with not having football ... I'm glad they're now only semi-relevant in GNAC hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                    Great move by Hermiston, awesome that they're doing well in the state of Washington and also playing their schedule near their home town.

My suggestion for Humboldt State -- take it or leave it -- is to keep football next year as a club sport. Build that up -- play local semi-pro teams, maybe some JC's, etc. Pacific U. in Oregon, played a Lewiston, Idaho club team that is affiliated with Lewis-Clark State College, and I think they beat them. Pacific paid for their travel.

When bad president and clown A.D. leave/are fired/resign, etc., go to the next admin and say you want to transition your club team back up to D2. This will probably be tough, just an idea. Freaking WWU seems content with not having football ... I'm glad they're now only semi-relevant in GNAC hoops.
                    From Humboldt Sports webpage: Humboldt Football set up to Fail by Administration:

https://humboldtsports.com/2018/09/2...dministration/

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack View Post
                      From Humboldt Sports webpage: Humboldt Football set up to Fail by Administration:

Yeah, this is pretty obvious. HSU has a zombie team.

Comment

Most of that I agree with. I note one thing not mentioned that JackoftheGNAC used to tout last year's team was the number of seniors that they lost too. Cappa didn't bolt early for the NFL, he played his 4 years and graduated and may he be a long time in the league as a reminder like Koenen was for WWU and Zach Smith is for UNO of how great the program once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
                          Most of that I agree with. I note one thing not mentioned that JackoftheGNAC used to tout last year's team was the number of seniors that they lost too. Cappa didn't bolt early for the NFL, he played his 4 years and graduated and may he be a long time in the league as a reminder like Koenen was for WWU and Zach Smith is for UNO of how great the program once was.
                          It was a great program. I firmly believe (especially after looking at the financials) that they could've kept football, kept coach Smith, and continued to thrive. The president didn't want it, and oddly the A.D. didn't want it. Most A.D.'s would love to have football on their campus. It was a great community event, even featured in print and video by the New York Times.

They had NFL guys -- Cappa and Gardner -- that tremendous back from a few years ago (Riccaldi?), some excellent defenders, fine QB's, great on-campus atmosphere. The program had it rolling. I still don't get eliminating it, especially after a press conference to bring it back, alums coming up the money, etc. It's maddening.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHigh
                            Just sad. My kids can't watch the games and won't understand where I played any longer. My children are old enough to understand, though, we once had a program and I played there. We will enjoy the last season, win or lose. Then, my dollars can stay in my pocket considering HSU.

How's this for timing...Hsu Pres announced her retirement today.....guess her job at HSU is done:
                            Last edited by Lumberjack; 10-01-2018, 01:54 PM. Reason: email address

Comment

How's this for timing...Hsu Pres announced her retirement today.....guess her job at HSU is done:
                              https://twitter.com/kiemsports/statu...493452288?s=09

I like OSZ69 picture in the remarks.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X