Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WT New Stadium

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    I believe the gpa difference is .3 (2.3 for D1 2.0 for D2). BUT D1 has a sliding scale....so a young man with a lower gpa just needs to score higher on SAT/ACT to be eligible.

Changes took place in '16, I think

https://youtu.be/kdd1nw67MR8

Sorry to HIJACK the WT thread. Lol.
    D2 now has the sliding scale this year as well

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
      Speaking of coaching staffs, why does TAMUC have such a large staff compared to other LSC schools?
      Large staff works ! Back when Don Carthel was at WT he would have 20 coaches on staff. Of course not all of the were full time. Some GA's or part time. I honestly think Don Carthel has had the Blueprint on how to Win in the LSC for years.

Comment

Originally posted by AmaKnight View Post
        D2 now has the sliding scale this year as well
        Absolutely right. THANK YOU. I didnt realize the change for 2018.

Now the difference is DI 2.3 gpa or 2.0 gps with sliding SAT/ACT. And DII 2.2 gpa or 2.0 gpa with sliding SAT/ACT. Thete goes the "big" DII recruiting advantage. Whatever will Carthel do now!! (Being sarcastic to our friendly ACU poser, I mean poster).

I remember "the sell" on this board for the reason ACU was moving to DI was they wanted athletes with much higher requirements that fit their superior academics. So much for that strategy & logic. Oh well....and the wheels on the bus go round & round.

Comment

Large staff works ! Back when Don Carthel was at WT he would have 20 coaches on staff. Of course not all of the were full time. Some GA's or part time. I honestly think Don Carthel has had the Blueprint on how to Win in the LSC for years.
          How many nattys did he win again? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
            Absolutely right. THANK YOU. I didnt realize the change for 2018.

Now the difference is DI 2.3 gpa or 2.0 gps with sliding SAT/ACT. And DII 2.2 gpa or 2.0 gpa with sliding SAT/ACT. Thete goes the "big" DII recruiting advantage. Whatever will Carthel do now!! (Being sarcastic to our friendly ACU poser, I mean poster).

I remember "the sell" on this board for the reason ACU was moving to DI was they wanted athletes with much higher requirements that fit their superior academics. So much for that strategy & logic. Oh well....and the wheels on the bus go round & round.
            That was the biggest load of crap they were trying to sell from that crap wagon. I could've understood with the state of uncertainty in the LSC they were looking for a more stable situation. I digress, it was that the Admin wanted to spend millions of dollars to attract more applicants, and then only choose those worthy to attend. It must be noted that while almost all other Texas Universities were experiencing growth, ACU was stagnant. But, that nothing to do with the move. The move to D1 was never intended to create excitement and hopefully from that excitement increase the enrollment. Heaven forbid ACU actually gain more enrollment to help fray costs and have a larger alumni pool to draw from. There is your sarcasm on steroids.

Comment

That was the biggest load of crap they were trying to sell from that crap wagon. I could've understood with the state of uncertainty in the LSC they were looking for a more stable situation. I digress, it was that the Admin wanted to spend millions of dollars to attract more applicants, and then only choose those worthy to attend. It must be noted that while almost all other Texas Universities were experiencing growth, ACU was stagnant. But, that nothing to do with the move. The move to D1 was never intended to create excitement and hopefully from that excitement increase the enrollment. Heaven forbid ACU actually gain more enrollment to help fray costs and have a larger alumni pool to draw from. There is your sarcasm on steroids.
              ACU selling crap???? Say it isn't so!!!!

Comment

Ah ok..... His large staff had issues. Or am I reading too much into this?????
                http://www.amarillo.com/sports/wt-sp...aa-punishes-wt

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                  ACU selling crap???? Say it isn't so!!!!
                  Not so much ACU as it was the cast of ACU posters on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                    I believe the 63 FCS schollies are able to be portioned out. You could give out 40 full rides and 46 half rides. They can be split up. The 63 can be stretched just like the 36 has to be for D2.
                    They can be split - but it is D1 and most kids will not attend w/o a full ride. Samford in Birmingham gave 60 full rides and 6 halves making the 63 limit. You can do it many ways but the top talent is going where the full rides are.

Comment

I think the reason ACU went FCS is because of the cost of the university. Let's say the cost at ACU is $50k and the cost at WT is $20k. That would mean the cost for 100 players to attend ACU would be $5 million and the cost for 100 to attend WT would be $2 million. ACU could (legally) cover $1.8 million, leaving $3.2 million to be paid by the athletes. At WT, the amount left to be paid would be $1.28 million. Of course, these numbers are made up. I don't know the actual cost but the reasoning was one given to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        I think the reason ACU went FCS is because of the cost of the university. Let's say the cost at ACU is $50k and the cost at WT is $20k. That would mean the cost for 100 players to attend ACU would be $5 million and the cost for 100 to attend WT would be $2 million. ACU could (legally) cover $1.8 million, leaving $3.2 million to be paid by the athletes. At WT, the amount left to be paid would be $1.28 million. Of course, these numbers are made up. I don't know the actual cost but the reasoning was one given to me.
                        There is no way this is why they went D1 because this actually makes sense that the school would look for ways to curb costs. Nope, the imposters from ACU would have more firsthand knowledge on this. Their reasoning was that the Admin wanted a larger pool of applicants to choose from. So, the master plan was to move up to D1 where the academics are so much more strenuous and everyone would want to attend the most prestigious school in Texas. The applications would come pouring in and they could choose only the best and keep the same enrollment. Status Quo is king at ACU only better and improved.

Comment

There is no way this is why they went D1 because this actually makes sense that the school would look for ways to curb costs. Nope, the imposters from ACU would have more firsthand knowledge on this. Their reasoning was that the Admin wanted a larger pool of applicants to choose from. So, the master plan was to move up to D1 where the academics are so much more strenuous and everyone would want to attend the most prestigious school in Texas. The applications would come pouring in and they could choose only the best and keep the same enrollment. Status Quo is king at ACU only better and improved.
                          It was not about trying to curb costs or they wouldn't have gone D1 at all.

At least from the football program pushing the move, it was about financial competition. If they were to move to the FBS, and offer 85 fulls like every other team, no one would have a financial advantage over them. In the FCS, it's less than in D2. In D2, it was less than it would have been if they had been D3.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                            The private schools have WAY more wiggle room with their money. No one at these private schools is paying retail. That's just a number to discount off of. But let's say Joe Football is wanting to attend say Incarnate Word and happens to have straight As, he gets awarded the "Ted Stud Academic Achievement Award" totaling $40K. His family says "OK we can do the other $10K." Or maybe Joe doesn't have straight As but he's really involved in his church or a charity. Voila! Joe finds himself awarded the "Susie Johnson Leadership Award", worth $40K a year for his exemplary leadership. He plays on the football team and no one is the worst. Who cares where the scholarship dollars are coming from? It's all the same to the family's bottom line.

Because they are state funded, public schools simply do not have this latitude. Every student must be treated the same. So if you have straight As, that might qualify you a couple $ grand off at the local state school. You get the same as everyone else regardless of your athletic prowess.

This is why private schools are so dominant at the D3 "non scholarship" level. It's because they are giving talented athletes hefty scholarships for every reason besides athletics, that the public D3s cannot. Private schools need to be D3 or D1; they really have no business being in D2 - it's not the right fit for most.

But a lot of these schools are flush with cash. Outside of D1 in Texas, Mary Hardin Baylor probably has better facilities than anyone else in the state. Everything there is first class. A lot of kids want to go there and play sports because it is a quality private school that does everything top shelf. It would be way beneath them to wallow around in the D2 mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                              The private schools have WAY more wiggle room with their money. No one at these private schools is paying retail. That's just a number to discount off of. But let's say Joe Football is wanting to attend say Incarnate Word and happens to have straight As, he gets awarded the "Ted Stud Academic Achievement Award" totaling $40K. His family says "OK we can do the other $10K." Or maybe Joe doesn't have straight As but he's really involved in his church or a charity. Voila! Joe finds himself awarded the "Susie Johnson Leadership Award", worth $40K a year for his exemplary leadership. He plays on the football team and no one is the worst. Who cares where the scholarship dollars are coming from? It's all the same to the family's bottom line.

Because they are state funded, state schools simply do not have this latitude. Every student must be treated the same. So if you have straight As, that might qualify you a couple $ grand off at the local state school. You get the same as everyone else regardless of your athletic prowess.

This is why private schools are so dominant at the D3 "non scholarship" level. It's because they are giving talented athletes hefty scholarships for every reason besides athletics, that the public D3s cannot. Private schools need to be D3 or D1; they really have no business being in D2 - it's not the right fit for most.
                              I'm well aware of how the private schools can do some different things and how D3 schools give "leadership" grants. However, there are rules as to what's countable by the NCAA and that's where the difficulties lie.

Private schools work pretty good in D2 when they are in leagues with like teams. However, I generally agree with you.

Comment

Incarnate Word and ACU moved to D1 because it's a multiple of panache and prestige and they could afford it. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone left behind is either glad for them or jealous. Neither is coming back.

I haven't been to either campus, but I'll bet a $10 bill that they let every prospective student that they are in D1 and play the big dogs in all sports. D1 is a big deal.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X