Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Let's get a new AD!
    Change leadership at one of the consistently top 5 nationally (all sports) D2 athletic programs? Don't be myopic. FB is not the only program the college competes in. Pull back and see how nearly ALL of the other programs have perennial success. FB has not made the playoffs in a while. Still, the past three or four years they have had a winning record and I bet they will again this year. Is that good enough for FB? No. Will our AD accept another 7-4 or 8-3 year? Do you fire a coach who goes 8-3? I don't know.

Your dislike of our AD is apparent. I just wonder what you base that on. Is it FB alone? Or do you include men's and women's BB, VB, men's and women's track, SB, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's golf? Other than FB the other programs have won recent natty's or made the Elite 8, or competed in regionals. What's your deal? Did he pee in your corn flakes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Not the first year. He took over Mesa from Sioux Falls and did really well there. If that is still going on after the first year then totally get it. WT has now gone through several years of mediocrity.
      Mesa had several advantages in a rather weak conference and he took over with a lot of talent. He is seemingly a lot of loud talk and flash, dogs this and dogs that, blah blah. I think Valdosta will be looking another direction sooner rather than later so maybe WT can give him a shot at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Change leadership at one of the consistently top 5 nationally (all sports) D2 athletic programs? Don't be myopic. FB is not the only program the college competes in. Pull back and see how nearly ALL of the other programs have perennial success. FB has not made the playoffs in a while. Still, the past three or four years they have had a winning record and I bet they will again this year. Is that good enough for FB? No. Will our AD accept another 7-4 or 8-3 year? Do you fire a coach who goes 8-3? I don't know.

Your dislike of our AD is apparent. I just wonder what you base that on. Is it FB alone? Or do you include men's and women's BB, VB, men's and women's track, SB, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's golf? Other than FB the other programs have won recent natty's or made the Elite 8, or competed in regionals. What's your deal? Did he pee in your corn flakes?
        I don't care about any sports but football and softball. Maybe Pops will again tell you that football is the most important.

Go back and read what Herb wrote about downsizing the stadium. It's a couple of pages back.
        Last edited by WT_TKW; 10-11-2022, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Not the first year. He took over Mesa from Sioux Falls and did really well there. If that is still going on after the first year then totally get it. WT has now gone through several years of mediocrity.
          Several? 2013 was Nesbitt's caretaker year, since then the program has been in the toilet.

Comment

I don't care about any sports but football and softball. Maybe Pops will again tell you that football is the most important.

Go back and read what Herb wrote about downsizing the stadium. It's a couple of pages back.
            Our AD will not be fired anytime soon. FB has underperformed. If FB goes 7-4 or 8-3 this season, do you fire the HC? That's a tough one. Using your criteria, our Mook should have been fired last season. The Lady Buff SB team went from a Natty to not even getting out of their own shadow last season. Fire Mook? I don't see much difference this year in his roster. Do we expect anymore than what we got last season? If Mook has another 30-20 season and not make regionals does he get the hook? I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.

Comment

Our AD will not be fired anytime soon. FB has underperformed. If FB goes 7-4 or 8-3 this season, do you fire the HC? That's a tough one. Using your criteria, our Mook should have been fired last season. The Lady Buff SB team went from a Natty to not even getting out of their own shadow last season. Fire Mook? I don't see much difference this year in his roster. Do we expect anymore than what we got last season? If Mook has another 30-20 season and not make regionals does he get the hook? I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.
              You are confused. Mook lost 3 great players and had injuries (Valforte, Lair) to deal with last year. He recruited D1 players to be SS and catcher and they didn't work out. Mook has earned the right to have a couple of less than stellar seasons. If Mook has a fault it's loyalty to his players, because some of the ones who keep returning are not very good.

Comment

Let me answer it this way.

8-3 is definitely respectable if Tarleton, Commerce, and ACU in their prime were still in the LSC.

8-3 now is borderline if they lost to a strong non conference opponent, ASU, and a strong central Washington team/Midwestern state team in their prime.

Does WT need Angelo State, UTPB, and Midwestern State to move to D1 to get over the 8-3 and playoff hump?

Does WT need to move to the RMAC?

The playoff conversation is smoke and mirrors because teams weaker than WT are improving at a faster pace.
                Last edited by Buffalo/Islander Alum; 10-12-2022, 05:40 AM.

Comment

8-3 is definitely respectable if Tarleton, Commerce, and ACU in their prime were still in the LSC.

8-3 now is borderline if they lost to a strong non conference opponent, ASU, and a strong central Washington team/Midwestern state team in their prime.

Does WT need Angelo State, UTPB, and Midwestern State to move to D1 to get over the 8-3 and playoff hump?

The playoff conversation is smoking mirrors because teams weaker than WT are improving at a faster pace.
                  And can you believe my entire life I thought it was "smoke AND mirrors"?

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

And can you believe my entire life I thought it was "smoke AND mirrors"?
                    Yeah there is that too. Haha.

I need to quit posting when I am too tired to proofread.

Irregardless I think you get the point otherwise playoffs is a mute point. ;)

Comment

The playoff conversation is smoke and mirrors because teams weaker than WT are improving at a faster pace.
                      You and I know the LSC is weaker without the 3. But, does the average fan even think about that? No. They just look at the record.

Comment

You are confused. Mook lost 3 great players and had injuries (Valforte, Lair) to deal with last year. He recruited D1 players to be SS and catcher and they didn't work out. Mook has earned the right to have a couple of less than stellar seasons. If Mook has a fault it's loyalty to his players, because some of the ones who keep returning are not very good.
                        Ha! For most of your post....minus Valforte,Lair....you could substitute Hughes for Mook.

Mook set the high bar. I expect much better than last year. Another year like last year and he'll be on the Blas track. Hughes hasn't even got the bar out of the garage.

Comment

You and I know the LSC is weaker without the 3. But, does the average fan even think about that? No. They just look at the record.
                          Look at TAMUC pre Carthels....lol. Look at Tarleton ’10 - ’14. They certainly did NOT make the LSC stronger. 707

Pretty much everyone has had a few good years! Even ENMU.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Look at TAMUC pre Carthels....lol. Look at Tarleton ’10 - ’14. They certainly did NOT make the LSC stronger. 707

Pretty much everyone has had a few good years! Even ENMU.
                            I think everything has a domino effect.

Past '13 is when Daddy Carthel was fired and Baby Carthel went to Commerce with the same recruiting tactics and success (even more so).

WT declined while Tarleton, Commerce, and Midwestern filled the vacuum.

There are some years where WT dropped games to Central Oklahoma and ENMU.

No team under Carthel would have been shutout by any D2 or FCS school like they were 28-0 by ENMU under Hughes.

It would have been very hard to believe they would have lost to Western Oregon or UTPB under Carthel as well.

I like Hughes and want to see him successful because it would suck for 2 or 3 years for the new coach to rebuild but also dont want 7-4 non-playoff seasons to be the new standard.

Comment

Yes and that's a very good point.

IF this was Nebraska or Texas they would be camped out by his house with signs asking him to resign.

With D2 maybe 50 current students and alumni outside of this board care the way we do.

Doing the math WT will have almost gone through 3 recruiting classes without a playoff appearance.

Almost everyone under 30 can't reminisce about being in school to watch playoff games.

Comment

Yes and that's a very good point.

IF this was Nebraska or Texas they would be camped out by his house with signs asking him to resign.

With D2 maybe 50 current students and alumni outside of this board care the way we do.

Doing the math WT will have almost gone through 3 recruiting classes without a playoff appearance.

Almost everyone under 30 can't reminisce about being in school to watch playoff games.
                                That's MOST universities at ever level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X