• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUPops
    replied
    Re: Rivalry ?

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    https://www.diehards.com/texas-tech/...-rankings-2018

I do not believe Conference wins over Baylor and Kansas will save his job. He could always be reassigned to other University duties.
    LMAO....uhhh...yuuuup the "blogger" Adam Rittenberg from Berkley Cal now residing in Chicago sure knows Texas Tech football. ROFLMAO. I can't breath!!!

Let's rehash this topic in November/December, shall we.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    To be clear, I am not a Kingsbury fan...or a Tech fan. My wife did get her undergrad from Tech....and my son played for ASU which is in the Tech system. Thats about it.

I could care less if he stays or goes. It is just my opinion that for Tech to compete at a top level they need a top coach. Put a Saban at Tech and the will compete for a natty. But will Tech spend $65M to get a "Saban"? I don't believe so. And would a "Saban" take that job? I don't believe so.

As far as how deep is the well.....it can be eternal, but I want to believe they are not going to throw money away for nothing. What TOP coach can Tech get in 2019 that will IMMEDIATELY win???? The cost would be enormous to have ANOTHER 3-4 years of rebuilding. Techs defense in 2018 will be it's strength. 10 starters returning. The problem will be offense.

So will Kingsbury be out in November? No. Like it or not, I do believe Kingsbury will be there until the end of his contract. (Unless he only gets a win or two this season).

But I have been not exactly right ONCE before. Lol.
    https://www.diehards.com/texas-tech/...-rankings-2018

I do not believe Conference wins over Baylor and Kansas will save his job. He could always be reassigned to other University duties.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Whitfield
    replied

With the exception of the political climate up in the Apple State, I bet Mike Leach is quite satisfied living in Pullman compared to Lubbock down there in the South Plains.

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

To be clear, I am not a Kingsbury fan...or a Tech fan. My wife did get her undergrad from Tech....and my son played for ASU which is in the Tech system. Thats about it.

I could care less if he stays or goes. It is just my opinion that for Tech to compete at a top level they need a top coach. Put a Saban at Tech and the will compete for a natty. But will Tech spend $65M to get a "Saban"? I don't believe so. And would a "Saban" take that job? I don't believe so.

As far as how deep is the well.....it can be eternal, but I want to believe they are not going to throw money away for nothing. What TOP coach can Tech get in 2019 that will IMMEDIATELY win???? The cost would be enormous to have ANOTHER 3-4 years of rebuilding. Techs defense in 2018 will be it's strength. 10 starters returning. The problem will be offense.

So will Kingsbury be out in November? No. Like it or not, I do believe Kingsbury will be there until the end of his contract. (Unless he only gets a win or two this season).

But I have been not exactly right ONCE before. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Hmmmmmm.........
    https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...ormer-longhorn

https://247sports.com/Article/Analys...gan-119689716/

I guess we will see at the end of the year.

If you are so certain, I have more action available.

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

Don't fool yourself, Tech has the money to get rid of KK yesterday. Herb is right that a lot of homer alums want their boy to make good. Problem is his inexperience and haughty attitude has already destroyed any chance of success at Tech. The word is out on him and his last recruiting class was one of the worst at Tech that I can ever remember. All of this is a result of what he has done to recruits and players that do not brown nose. Best example was Baker Mayfield, but there has been others. Another tank season which I firmly believe will happen this fall and he is going to be thrown overboard. There is too much dissension among major alums for him to hang on past that. Funny thing is, KK knows all this.
    Hmmmmmm.........
    https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...ormer-longhorn

https://247sports.com/Article/Analys...gan-119689716/

I guess we will see at the end of the year.

If you are so certain, I have more action available.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

I'll take that action.

With his contract ending in 2020, I don't believe Tech is ignorant enough to spend that much $$ to buy out his contract. A replacement coach will have 3-4 bad seasons....plus if they go after a top coach that can get them contending in 3-4 years, it will cost them a fortune. ($50+ M)...and if that coach is under a current contract, they will have to buy it out.

I seriously do not see all that happening. Especially after the school (via donors) just spent almost $50M on that new sports performance center that opened in Oct.
    Don't fool yourself, Tech has the money to get rid of KK yesterday. Herb is right that a lot of homer alums want their boy to make good. Problem is his inexperience and haughty attitude has already destroyed any chance of success at Tech. The word is out on him and his last recruiting class was one of the worst at Tech that I can ever remember. All of this is a result of what he has done to recruits and players that do not brown nose. Best example was Baker Mayfield, but there has been others. Another tank season which I firmly believe will happen this fall and he is going to be thrown overboard. There is too much dissension among major alums for him to hang on past that. Funny thing is, KK knows all this.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Whitfield
    replied

I'll take that action.

With his contract ending in 2020, I don't believe Tech is ignorant enough to spend that much $$ to buy out his contract. A replacement coach will have 3-4 bad seasons....plus if they go after a top coach that can get them contending in 3-4 years, it will cost them a fortune. ($50+ M)...and if that coach is under a current contract, they will have to buy it out.

I seriously do not see all that happening. Especially after the school (via donors) just spent almost $50M on that new sports performance center that opened in Oct.
    Sounds like prosperity is just around the corner down in Lubbock!

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    KK saved his behind against Texas. He won't be the Tech coach going into 2019. I'll bet anyone a $100 bill on that right now.
    I'll take that action.

Last edited by ASUPops; 07-10-2018, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Boohaha
    replied

The expectations for college football coaches now days is insane. Mark Ritch got fired with an 80% win percentage, he was respected on and off the field. Saban even publically commented on his firing. People act like its easy to get 8-10 wins a season in D1. Truth is its very very very hard.
    That being said Kk needs to go!

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

KK saved his behind against Texas. He won't be the Tech coach going into 2019. I'll bet anyone a $100 bill on that right now.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    Leach had success because he brought a revolutionary new scheme to the Big 12. For a while it was indefensible. Now most of the Big 12 runs some variation of that scheme and defends it.

As for coach versus coach, Leach is no football genius, but KK makes him look as one.

Tech got swept up in the A&M hype when they caught lightning in a bottle for a season with Manziel. Suddenly Sumlin and anyone associated with him were hot commodities, including KK. As it turns out, it was just a one-year flash fire started by Johnny Football and there wasn't much substance there on the coaching front.

Tech also got caught up in the "bring back a real Tech guy" syndrome. Schools often fall into this trap. There is an emotional attachment to anyone who played at the school and there is an idea that they have special Jedi powers to resurrect the program because "they get it." Added to that was KK's GQ cool factor, which was another hot fire that burned for a while.

When you get rid of all that noise, he's a really poor coach.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Whitfield
    replied

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    In Michael's defense, when he was in school the world was flat, so calculated distances may have been different.
    Actually when I attended WT, the accepted premise was that planet earth was quite spherical. Seems to be substantial proof that was a quite accurate analysis, even today.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Whitfield
    replied

Michael, Tech did play UNM for years. It was an awful one sided affair. Rarely was UNM competitive. NMSU and UTEP are the same distance as Norman and Stillwater. TCU in Ft Worth is the closest school to Tech.
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. The distances of these schools from Lubbock were negligible. I mentioned UTEP & NMSU as two non powerhouse Div I programs that the Red Raiders could probably defeat every year.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

Originally posted by olebuff View Post
    Yes , Colorado is a real powerhouse ????
    In their last years of the Big 12 not-so-much. But I recall them laying the wood to most of the Big 12 teams here and there, including Tejas, Nebraska, OU, etc. And I think they've got a NC or two in their trophy case from not too many years ago.

As a side note, the Big 12 was severely compromised when four flagship universities walked, regardless of how competitive any of those programs were in the specific year that they walked. You can't lose those types of schools and sub in TCU and West Virginia and call it good. The Big 12 is doing just OK financially in the big picture, but when Texas and OU eventually bolt for the B1G for the really major dollars, the Big 12 is going to be a Mountain West type league. It is only being propped up by TX and OU currently.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X