Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 WT Season

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    easy now. the only thing i get is the online edition of the Amarillo "Globe" (haha right), so cut me some slack.
    I love that word "obtuse." You gave me an opening to use it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
      He purged the roster of all the players he signed last year?
      Not sure how you think recruiting works, but he didnt recruit a majority of the players signed last year....

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
        Not sure how you think recruiting works, but he didnt recruit a majority of the players signed last year....
        Not true, he had a base list to go off of from the previous staff, but it was his ultimate decision on whether to keep the offer standing with existing recruits or choose to pull the offer and reallocate that money elsewhere.

Comment

I've talked to a lot of D2 coaches in several sports. They will tell you that except for a few early commits the main D2 recruiting period is the last two weeks before signing day. I think he had a lot of input.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
            I've talked to a lot of D2 coaches in several sports. They will tell you that except for a few early commits the main D2 recruiting period is the last two weeks before signing day. I think he had a lot of input.
            So you think that a coach who had all season to recruit and target players, and a coach who had basically 1 month while also trying to put together a staff had the same stamp on the recruiting class?

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post
              Not true, he had a base list to go off of from the previous staff, but it was his ultimate decision on whether to keep the offer standing with existing recruits or choose to pull the offer and reallocate that money elsewhere.
              That base list was for a system that looked nothing like his philosophy on either side of the ball. It was worthless.... He had 1 month to put together a staff and recruit players. The fact we have as many kids as we do from the 2017 class is nothing short of remarkable in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                Any idea why Warren Witherspoon isn't on the roster? He did a decent job for us last year.

I'm hoping we have a lot more production from the QB position this year. Maybe one of those California transfers will work out.
                He ran out of athletic eligibility time. Dont know the full details

Comment

I think he graduated. Listen to the press pass podcast. It's 806 sports oriented. But they have a WT preview episode.

Comment

That base list was for a system that looked nothing like his philosophy on either side of the ball. It was worthless.... He had 1 month to put together a staff and recruit players. The fact we have as many kids as we do from the 2017 class is nothing short of remarkable in my mind.
                    :good:

Comment

Man, then Wagner's 1st recruiting class must be considered a MIRACLE.....especially by landing KWash. And Wag didn't even arrive until after Christmas, so it was 2nd week of January before he started any recruiting.

4 years later ASU beat TAMUC for the Conference Playoff Championship and a playoff birth, losing only to Natty grabber CSUP.

We'll see if WT follows that path.....or better.

Comment

Satuday's practice was a 2 hour filmed controlled scrimmage. Several starters were held out. I guess today was an important evaluation day for all the newcomers.

All 4 QB's appeared to get an equal number of possessions. Early on the defense was getting the best of it. The defense was very aggressive. Speed on D was evident. The secondary is much faster than last year. I heard we have a Humboldt transfer who's pretty good in the secondary. No more 10 yards off-the-line-automatic-first-down (in lieu of giving up a TD) coverage from our DBs. The LB corps was impressive. Hard-hitting and quick to the ball. I think our D will be pretty good. Especially when the transfer DL's get all their paperwork done. I was told that maybe 10 more players are in process to report.

The offense got off to a slow start, but by midway thru the scrimmage, they began opening some holes, hitting passes, and moving the ball. Hood played well, as did Rodriguez. I thought Houghtaling did ok. Freshman Perez moved the chains and had a nice 15 yard scrambling run. Duke Carter ran well. He is very quick, fast, but not so big, looking to be in the 180 pound range. Transfer RB Vallo did not play today. Neither did returner Jarod Johnson. Johnson may be our only "big" RB. I'd like to see one of those 5'9 230 lb. north-south bowling ball RB's able to punch out some tough yards inside. The offense put two touchdowns up on the boards. The first was on a spectacular catch on the end zone back line. I don't know who the receiver was, but he went vertical and made a great grab on a good pass from Lemon-Rodriguez (I think). The second TD was also on a nice 20 yard pass over the middle with another nice catch. Our WR's are vastly improved. As I mentioned earlier, the OL started opening some holes as the action wore on. We'll be able to match up better size-wise this year with opposing defenses. Some big boys on the OL.

We started with 120 players invited to camp. The first week of practice washed out a few. I was told we have 105 still suited up with maybe up to 10 more that should be ready to take the field by the time school starts.

Three things I take away from the scrimmage today:
                        1. Very physical, hard-hitting style of play. That Buff D will lay it on you.
                        2. Improved performances on both sides of the ball
                        3. The Buffs are very young
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-12-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the update. I hope they dont lose anymore numbers. Im assuming most of the players who dropped off are from the incoming freshman class. Most of the others should know what to expect. Have you heard anything on Lance Hyder? I didnt see him on Thursday and he has started on the dline for several years. Would be a senior this year. Glad to know there are some transfer dlineman in the works, they need some depth there

Comment

Comment

I'll be in Austin. Got to go see that grandson!

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X