Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wagon Wheel

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
    Would just add Coyote Bluff to this list. Other than that just go out and experiment the different places. There are tons of mom and pop places. My new favorite is La Bella Pizza on Olsen. Nice little sports bar hole in the wall Pizza joint.
    They are really good, I can just never get in!!
    Forgot Green Chile Willies off McCormick between Canyon & Amarillo.

Comment

Now back to the game

Wt win's - our Mascot looks better

Comment

For Canyon, I'd suggest Feldman's Wrong Way Diner. Before or after the game. Convenient for the game. Right behind Subway and Chicken Express. Feldman's has a great chicken fry or catfish basket. I like the Island Cobb salad. Wife likes the grilled pork chops. Tex Mex, try Pepito's. Imperial Taproom has an adventurous menu and was recognized as the top craft beer pub in Texas by a national magazine.

Others to consider in Canyon are Joe Taco for Tex Mex, and Recreation for burgers. Also Sayokomarn's for Thai. All have a full bar. Imperial Taproom, Joe Taco, Recreation, and Sayakomarb's are all on the downtown square.

Comment

Barrel and Pie in Canyon is amazing. Great pizza and amazing cocktails. Recreation is also great if you want some more pub like food. The square is a great place to hang out in Canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
            On FaceBook: Amarillo Texas Restaurant Reviews

My family and I do not eat at national chains. Trail Boss On South Western is good, like the CFS and Catfish. Blue Sky (either location) has good Burgers. Everything at Delvin's is good (off of North Hughs) Best Seafood is "Off the Hook," it's new and downtown. There are several good MoM & PoP Bar-B-Q places. We like Tylers off Paramount and Trail Boss. If you are looking for upper end, "Public House" and "Chop House" are the go to places. The Amarillo Club (membership required) is very good and atop the Chase Tower" Best Sandwiches are at Belmar Bakery 34th and Bell. Now the most important of all - Best Coffee - Palace Coffee, Downtown Amarillo - 34th and Bell in Amarillo and off the Square in Canyon. PM me if you want more information. Welcome to Buff land
            Only problem with Delvin's is it's only open 11:00am til 6:00pm and it's closed Sunday and Monday. Everything I have had there has been great.

Comment

Originally posted by ahshound View Post
              For what its worth:

Hounds 55-9 over WNMU, Buffs 27-17 over WNMU
              Hounds 28-48 loss to TSU, Buffs 7-44 loss to TSU

The Greyhounds have only had 1 turnover in the last three weeks. If they can keep that up I think they will keep the wheel in Portales. ENMU has won 5 out of the last 6 meetings.
              The transitive property has not been proven with regards to college football.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                I can see coach Hughes replaying, multiple times, the video of ENMU players claiming last year's Wagon Wheel. And getting more pissed off each time. I'd be very surprised if his fire and intensity doesn't translate into a very focused WT team this Saturday.

Can the Buff D stop the option? WT's D has been a turnover machine so far this season. Can the WT offense decidedly win the time-of-possession battle and keep the Hound D on the field the way they did against Angelo?

It'll be a big grudge game for WT. I bet Hughes has his guys prepared, focused, and determined. Buffs by 10. The Wheel stays in Canyon and WT rides a 5 game win streak!
                I am always intrigued with this type of motivational technique. Is it something that creates a longer term motivation? I am not sold on the idea. If you need something like this to get motivated or hyped, you need to look at doing something different.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                  I am always intrigued with this type of motivational technique. Is it something that creates a longer term motivation? I am not sold on the idea. If you need something like this to get motivated or hyped, you need to look at doing something different.
                  At the pro or D1 level, perhaps. But in college especially, you've got 80 guys with all sorts of emotional and academic stuff going on in the background that becomes a distraction. Add in the fact that WT is building from the ground up, and I absolutely believe that when 18-21 year old's see a head coach and staff with a higher degree of intensity and focus, it is bound to translate.

In your scenario, why even have coaches? Let them learn technique from their iPhone, read a few how-to's, and simply show up with their game face in place. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                    I can see coach Hughes replaying, multiple times, the video of ENMU players claiming last year's Wagon Wheel. And getting more pissed off each time. I'd be very surprised if his fire and intensity doesn't translate into a very focused WT team this Saturday.

Can the Buff D stop the option? WT's D has been a turnover machine so far this season. Can the WT offense decidedly win the time-of-possession battle and keep the Hound D on the field the way they did against Angelo?

It'll be a big grudge game for WT. I bet Hughes has his guys prepared, focused, and determined. Buffs by 10. The Wheel stays in Canyon and WT rides a 5 game win streak!
                    It is a hard thing for a complete outsider to come in and understand the intensity of this rivalry. TBH i think the first year Hughes was just trying to get his program started, last year they really didnt seem to be in it as much as eastern. Lee was a new head coach last year but has been here 7 years, alot of the rest of the staff are ex players. You can be sure Walton has been up his defenses rears all week about this game.

On Easterns pyramid of success or goals is almost always Beat WT, win at home, Winning record, playoffs, etc.

For Hughes and company comming from Pueblo with all the resources they had compared to their conference i dont think they seriously thought Eastern would beat them. They had more schollies, larger budget, better athletes, etc at Pueblo and the same held true at WT. I think it really was a punch in the face to them and if they dont start taking it seriously the overall record between the 2 is going to be as bad or worse than it was before Carthel got there. ENMU Is15-9 vs WT before Carthel he won 7 in a row, then after that Eastern is 5-1 in the past 6 seasons.

WT without Carthel has a 10-20(3 wins were following WT dropping from d1 to d2 86-89)record vs Eastern, he understood how important this rivalry was to the success of both programs.

Typically the success of one program over the other pointed to overall success of the winning program.

Hope its a big crowd Sat!
                    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
                      At the pro or D1 level, perhaps. But in college especially, you've got 80 guys with all sorts of emotional and academic stuff going on in the background that becomes a distraction. Add in the fact that WT is building from the ground up, and I absolutely believe that when 18-21 year old's see a head coach and staff with a higher degree of intensity and focus, it is bound to translate.

In your scenario, why even have coaches? Let them learn technique from their iPhone, read a few how-to's, and simply show up with their game face in place. :wink:
                      That is a significant leap. Going from a motivational technique to coaching.

I wouldn't want my team to take on a persona where they have to have an outside motivation. My point is that type of motivation does not last as long as a deeper seated motivation that is built through culture and personal accountability.

When people get tired near the end of a battle, it is difficult to draw from the "they dissed us" type of motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                        For Hughes and company comming from Pueblo with all the resources they had compared to their conference i dont think they seriously thought Eastern would beat them. They had more schollies, larger budget, better athletes, etc at Pueblo and the same held true at WT.
                        Pueblo was scholarship limited (and still is although not by as much as the RMAC slowly increases to 36) the entire time Hughes was there. I also believe both Mesa & Mines have higher athletic budgets if I remember correctly. Could be wrong there as the report I saw was released a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                          Pueblo was scholarship limited (and still is although not by as much as the RMAC slowly increases to 36) the entire time Hughes was there. I also believe both Mesa & Mines have higher athletic budgets if I remember correctly. Could be wrong there as the report I saw was released a couple of years ago.
                          What i meant was in comparison to the rest of their conference. Pueblo is as limited akolly wise as the rest of the conference. WT is fully funded, Eastern cant even give 20 as far as i last heard.

Pueblo had a brand new stadium and facilities in Pueblo, which is in a better location than the most of the rest of their confetence when attracting top teir athletes. Pueblo has done very well with what they had, but could the same staff succeed thst well at Adams, ft lewis, or Highlands?

If pueblo = Wt in resources, budget, location, student numbers etc. then Eastern = Highlands except Vegas is probably more desirable to live in than Portales.

Comment

The Hounds have won 5 of the last 6 meetings...lets make it 6 out of the last 7 and 3 in a row!

Comment

Some fun facts for the Wagon Wheel game

LSC Total Offense

ENMU 5
                              WT. 9

LSC Total Defense

WT 4
                              ENMU 7

Appears the two balance out. I think WT can run the ball. I also believe Eastern will be able to run. Appears to be a toss up.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                                Some fun facts for the Wagon Wheel game

LSC Total Offense

ENMU 5
                                WT. 9

LSC Total Defense

WT 4
                                ENMU 7

Appears the two balance out. I think WT can run the ball. I also believe Eastern will be able to run. Appears to be a toss up.
                                Easterns numbers are produced after playing, opponents with a combined record of 32-20(2 teams with loosing records), 4 top 25 teams(at the time), including the Top 3 teams in the conference, a very front loaded schedule.

Wt opponents combined records are 24-25(4 teams with losing records). 1 Naia team OPSU.

Eastern has had to run a gauntlet to get to this point of the season, I think they have played a much tougher schedule and their offensive and defensive rankings reflect that.

This game will determine the direction of Eastern's season, they have a chance to win out and finish 6-5, and probably 4th in the conference. Not where they wanted to be but better than it looked a couple weeks ago.

If eastern comes out flat and loses i dont see them winning more than 2 more games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X