Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarleton to WAC

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

    They have no desire to go d2, wayland though has expressed interest.
    The problem with D2 is the ones who can afford it ie Trinity and Mary Hardin Baylor want no part of it. And, the ones that do ie McMurry and OPSU can’t afford it.

    I really can’t think of but two schools both small and private. Wayland Baptist and Texas Wesleyan who would have interest.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

      The problem with D2 is the ones who can afford it ie Trinity and Mary Hardin Baylor want no part of it. And, the ones that do ie McMurry and OPSU can’t afford it.

      I really can’t think of but two schools both small and private. Wayland Baptist and Texas Wesleyan who would have interest.
      Yep.

      If we didnt have the bloat of the heartland schools there could be a case made to go after NM highlands to get the 3rd nm school.

      Im serious when i say this that ENMU and especially western nm cannot afford 1 to 2 west coast trips a year to non revenue school. If that is to be the norm i could actually see ENMU seek to join the RMAC along with Western or try to get into the GAC with the okie schools.

      Eastern has survived in the LSC and been decently successfull but we have always been at a financial disadvantage to the texas schools. One of the ways we have done that is to keep the cost of attendance very low and recruit well within the state. The Texas schools are not as affected by the travel, where as ENMU has to divert donor dollars that could and should be used to upgrade the program and add schollies to pay for travel. It basically serves to handcuff development and recruitment, while draining the meager war chest they have.

      For reference ENMU teavel spending in 2016 and 17 was about 37k a year, in 2018 and again in 2019 that has increased to 74k double.

      When you consider that it costs 19k a year to attend thats nearly 2 schollies lost to travel, or an entire asst. coach's salary. This is also just the cost increase associated with 1 west coast trip.

      Commerce travel budget this year is 155k.

      25-30k per west coast trip is no drop in the bucket for them either but its alot less than double the budget like it is for ENMU.
      Last edited by Boohaha; 10-15-2019, 03:13 AM.
      I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

      Comment


      • https://theflashtoday.com/2019/10/15...AKMiWsJQrCiVoc

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

          Yep.

          If we didnt have the bloat of the heartland schools there could be a case made to go after NM highlands to get the 3rd nm school.

          Im serious when i say this that ENMU and especially western nm cannot afford 1 to 2 west coast trips a year to non revenue school. If that is to be the norm i could actually see ENMU seek to join the RMAC along with Western or try to get into the GAC with the okie schools.

          Eastern has survived in the LSC and been decently successfull but we have always been at a financial disadvantage to the texas schools. One of the ways we have done that is to keep the cost of attendance very low and recruit well within the state. The Texas schools are not as affected by the travel, where as ENMU has to divert donor dollars that could and should be used to upgrade the program and add schollies to pay for travel. It basically serves to handcuff development and recruitment, while draining the meager war chest they have.

          For reference ENMU teavel spending in 2016 and 17 was about 37k a year, in 2018 and again in 2019 that has increased to 74k double.

          When you consider that it costs 19k a year to attend thats nearly 2 schollies lost to travel, or an entire asst. coach's salary. This is also just the cost increase associated with 1 west coast trip.

          Commerce travel budget this year is 155k.

          25-30k per west coast trip is no drop in the bucket for them either but its alot less than double the budget like it is for ENMU.



          I have only been following D2 for about a year now and I think that qualifies me to offer NM Highlands to the LSC. In fact, the RMAC might even pay y'all to take them.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

            The LSC has had 0 problem scheduling other sports.

            The Okie schools left yes and the pretty much had the door held open for them by the south and it was more than competitive imbalance in football cause many were comperitive in other sports and NSU and UCO went to the MIAA, which was alot tougher back then than the LSC.

            We went from 14 football schools that played all the sports the heartland did to 7 football schools that have to travel to the west coast to fill schedules.

            D2 football out west is a different animal, especially when the gac is closed, miaa is closed, the RMAC has 1 week per team open.

            It was very short sighted for the LSC to not try to
            Preserve the membership of the north schools.
            Just because they filled schedules doesn't mean the scheduling was easy. The MIAA used to fill schedules in football every year but still went (against my objections) to a closed schedule.

            There is nothing that could have been done to keep the Oklahoma teams. They were tired of getting their teeth kicked in. LSC South teams were paying guarantees to LSC North teams to play them in the "non-conference" portion of the schedule. Leagues don't survive that way. Obviously their defection to easier pastures hurt.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

              The LSC has had 0 problem scheduling other sports.

              The Okie schools left yes and the pretty much had the door held open for them by the south and it was more than competitive imbalance in football cause many were comperitive in other sports and NSU and UCO went to the MIAA, which was alot tougher back then than the LSC.

              We went from 14 football schools that played all the sports the heartland did to 7 football schools that have to travel to the west coast to fill schedules.

              D2 football out west is a different animal, especially when the gac is closed, miaa is closed, the RMAC has 1 week per team open.

              It was very short sighted for the LSC to not try to
              Preserve the membership of the north schools.
              This is a rinse & repeat of when ACU & UIW left the LSC.

              *YAWN*

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Brandon View Post

                Just because they filled schedules doesn't mean the scheduling was easy. The MIAA used to fill schedules in football every year but still went (against my objections) to a closed schedule.

                There is nothing that could have been done to keep the Oklahoma teams. They were tired of getting their teeth kicked in. LSC South teams were paying guarantees to LSC North teams to play them in the "non-conference" portion of the schedule. Leagues don't survive that way. Obviously their defection to easier pastures hurt.
                Because it’s so more enjoyable for UCO and Northeastern to get trashed in the MIAA

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

                  The problem with D2 is the ones who can afford it ie Trinity and Mary Hardin Baylor want no part of it. And, the ones that do ie McMurry and OPSU can’t afford it.

                  I really can’t think of but two schools both small and private. Wayland Baptist and Texas Wesleyan who would have interest.

                  Last I heard, Trinity had an endowment sufficient to impress the queen mother, something nearing $1.5 billion. Yes, with a b. That's as much or more than many Big 12 schools. I'm pretty certain that Trinity could join any conference they wanted, any time they wanted.
                  Last edited by Herb Street; 10-15-2019, 08:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Didn't want to start a new thread, but I saw on Twitter this graphic about a football showcase that the tagline is "for underclassmen who want to pursue the their dream of playing football at the next level". Interesting that St. Mary's is listed as a school that is confirmed.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                      Didn't want to start a new thread, but I saw on Twitter this graphic about a football showcase that the tagline is "for underclassmen who want to pursue the their dream of playing football at the next level". Interesting that St. Mary's is listed as a school that is confirmed.
                      Interesting indeed.....
                      I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                        Didn't want to start a new thread, but I saw on Twitter this graphic about a football showcase that the taglif:at-wits-end:ne is "for underclassmen who want to pursue the their dream of playing football at the next level". Interesting that St. Mary's is listed as a school that is confirmed.
                        they thinking about doing what UIW did?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

                          they thinking about doing what UIW did?
                          they are listed with Western NM Midwestern, Augusta, and other D2 schools.
                          I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

                            they are listed with Western NM Midwestern, Augusta, and other D2 schools.
                            Start football at D2 level, move up.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                              Didn't want to start a new thread, but I saw on Twitter this graphic about a football showcase that the tagline is "for underclassmen who want to pursue the their dream of playing football at the next level". Interesting that St. Mary's is listed as a school that is confirmed.
                              There will be others as well. Stay tuned!

                              The LSC is ALIVE & WELL.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post
                                Start football at D2 level, move up.
                                Maybe they'll start a team, but I dont see them moving to D1. UTSA was the first team in town to play D1. All sports struggled for attendance, so they added football. They knew FCS would not a lasting model in the city so they tried to emulate UCF as the FBS school for the town. Novelty has started to wear off and performance is struggling so attendance is beginning to taper.

                                UIW wanted out of the Heartland, saw the LSC as a way to move on but they needed football. As I recall they didn't like our league too much because it was filled with rural state schools scattered around the state. They took UTSA's departure from the Southland to pitch themselves as a viable alternative.

                                Despite making the playoffs last year (and starting the 2019 campaign at 5-2), they can't average more than 3,000 attendees for their football games.

                                I just dont see another D1 program in San Antonio being successful, then again they do have a law school and maybe some of the lawyers want football.
                                Tarleton State Texan
                                Texas State Bobcat

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X