Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Per CFB Nation via Twitter, David Bailiff is the new man in Commerce.

Re: Former Rice Coach David Bailiff hired at Texas A&M-Commerce

Might be a good hire.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
      Might be a good hire.

Comment

Meh. Last time we hired a 60yr old DI retread it didnt work out too well. Plus side, he is a Texas guy. Minus side, he is a 60 yr old DI retread. Hope he has some fire left, if not its gonna be a rough few years here coming. I was hoping for a young, hungry coach. I guess we will see...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLionWire View Post
          Per CFB Nation via Twitter, David Bailiff is the new man in Commerce.
          Really good guy. If he is the new hire, the Lions are saying goodbye to the spread offense. Not really sure about how well he can recruit. He was handcuffed at Rice because of the high admission requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
            Meh. Last time we hired a 60yr old DI retread it didnt work out too well. Plus side, he is a Texas guy. Minus side, he is a 60 yr old DI retread. Hope he has some fire left, if not its gonna be a rough few years here coming. I was hoping for a young, hungry coach. I guess we will see...
            I agree, I always want a coach that has something to prove. Usually not someone known outside coaching circles.

Another thing, how well will he adapt with limited resources of D2 compared to FBS. Kinda weird saying FBS and Rice in same sentence.
            Last edited by Techster88; 12-07-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Agreed, at SWT he only won one conference title even with the most resources in the conference
              Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                I agree, I always want a coach that has to prove. Usually not someone known outside coaching circles.

Another thing, how well we adapt with limited resources of D2 compared to FBS. Kinda weird saying FBS and Rice in same sentence.
                We need someone to connect with kids. we need someone who, if it gets tough, has something to prove & doesnt just want to collect a few more years of paychecks. Im liking this less and less the more I think about it. Most of the folks who had the vision to hire Colby are gone though.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
                  Agreed, at SWT he only won one conference title even with the most resources in the conference
                  Yeah and he won a total of 4 games his last 2 years at Rice. (the rest of this post would just be all *** so I wont bother).

Comment

Yeah and he won a total of 4 games his last 2 years at Rice. (the rest of this post would just be all *** so I wont bother).
                    From the few times I listened to his interviews he seemed like a very positive person. Definitely a players coach. Usually hiring a retreads are just that and the results usually leave a bad taste in your mouth. My only guess to hiring Baliff is the AD wanted a coach with experience. That being said, Whitten has found some more magic at Tarleton. 3xs at the same school is crazy and winning during all the three stints. Unexplainable. Most retreads end crashing on the rocks.

Look at it this way Baliff has a chance to prove Herb wrong. He can show Herb that you can change divisions and be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                      From the few times I listened to his interviews he seemed like a very positive person. Definitely a players coach. Usually hiring a retreads are just that and the results usually leave a bad taste in your mouth. My only guess to hiring Baliff is the AD wanted a coach with experience. That being said, Whitten has found some more magic at Tarleton. 3xs at the same school is crazy and winning during all the three stints. Unexplainable. Most retreads end crashing on the rocks.

Look at it this way Baliff has a chance to prove Herb wrong. He can show Herb that you can change divisions and be successful.
                      I think this year all the stars aligned for tarleton. senior heavy team that loses almost their entire offensive production next season. As far as Bailiff goes, Id love to see the list of people that applied. If he was the cream of the crop Id be shocked. If Storm applied and got denied, im irritated. I just dont see kids lining up to play for a 60 yr old dude that got Rice into the Liberty Bowl when they were in the freakin 7th grade.

Comment

Nick Saban is 67. Just putting that out there.

UNA's Coach Wallace was 62 when his 2016 team reached the D2 title game.
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Wallace also had a track record of winning 3 Nattys in a row at UNA when he was in his 40s. Which is my point about needing someone young and hungry. he had some success when he came back, but also had a far better career record than Baliff. I think we could have, should have, done better is my point. Id rather take a shot with a young firey coach than re-run a guy like this. Maybe he will shock me, but Im expecting immediate mediocrity.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X