Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WT football

I had a long chat with someone very much "in the know" about WT recruiting. Some on here questioned why WT had offered so many kids. Was it quantity over quality? No.

Yes, WT has offered over 100 kids. However, only about 60 of those kids are legitimate WT D2 signing prospects. The other 40 are kids that are going D1. The strategy being, that if they become disenchanted at the D1 level........ bad fit, lack of playing time, being redshirted, too far down on the depth chart, any number of reasons, that they may become potential transfers to WT. They are being recruited just as hard as the "legitimate" HS prospects. And, you never know when some of the D1 kids might decide to go D2.

Makes sense to me as a good recruiting strategy.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 01-09-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
      Just heard that Nick Gerber, walk QB on at Texas Tech, and the single season HS passing yards and TD record holder in the state of Texas, will be transferring to WT. He grew up in Levelland.

Also heard that the OC that WT got is more of a spread guy. I think run will still be a heavy emphasis, but not near as much as it has been in the past. I think that caused Gerber to be interested in WT.
      Are you sure the OC has been tabbed? I was told that Hughes had 12 OC interviews scheduled this week at the national meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
        Are you sure the OC has been tabbed? I was told that Hughes had 12 OC interviews scheduled this week at the national meetings.
        Im not sure of anything. That was the information passed along to me. When they were talking about the new offensive strategy, maybe they were talking about the direction that Hughes was going to take the offense with his hire as opposed to what the new OC was going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
          Do you think he will be ready to compete for a spot? Ive never seen him play but saw he was on the Tech roster this last year
          Spent a year under Kliff who is a heck of a QB coach. So he was definitely coached up this year. I think he will be able to come in and compete immediately. Only knock on him is his size. But he is quick, smart, and can obviously pass the ball well.

Comment

Spent a year under Kliff who is a heck of a QB coach. So he was definitely coached up this year. I think he will be able to come in and compete immediately. Only knock on him is his size. But he is quick, smart, and can obviously pass the ball well.
            Quick (able to operate the RPO and also extend a play and avoid a pas rush) and able to pass the ball well, sounds like a good recipe for last year's moribund offense operated by a couple of QB cadavers.

Comment

I just watched Gerber's HUDL highlight video. He's more mobile than the two stiffs we had last year. He can scramble. Better than average speed for a QB, but he's no Murray. His arm strength seems okay. Probably he's stronger now than he was as a senior in HS. I imagine he is. He's very accurate. Puts the ball in good spots for the receivers. Seems to have an easily catchable ball. He looks to bring attributes to the position neither of the 2018 WT QB's possess. Plays the position with confidence and without hesitation.

Comment

I just watched Gerber's HUDL highlight video. He's more mobile than the two stiffs we had last year. He can scramble. Better than average speed for a QB, but he's no Murray. His arm strength seems okay. Probably he's stronger now than he was as a senior in HS. I imagine he is. He's very accurate. Puts the ball in good spots for the receivers. Seems to have an easily catchable ball. He looks to bring attributes to the position neither of the 2018 WT QB's possess. Plays the position with confidence and without hesitation.
                As far as HUDL videos, how many times do you think they inlcude a "highlight" where a kid underthrows his target, or makes a bad pass?

I see those videos as showing you the kid's upper end. They are kind of like seeing your O explode for big plays in teh intrasquad game. How are you supposed to feel?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                    As far as HUDL videos, how many times do you think they inlcude a "highlight" where a kid underthrows his target, or makes a bad pass?

I see those videos as showing you the kid's upper end. They are kind of like seeing your O explode for big plays in teh intrasquad game. How are you supposed to feel?
                    Valid point!! But, you realize you are ruining a feel good session here.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                      Valid point!! But, you realize you are ruining a feel good session here.
                      When you sit through 5 years of bad QB play, you look for any optimism you can find.

It's cathartic, just let us be haha

Comment

I had a long chat with someone very much "in the know" about WT recruiting. Some on here questioned why WT had offered so many kids. Was it quantity over quality? No.

Yes, WT has offered over 100 kids. However, only about 60 of those kids are legitimate WT D2 signing prospects. The other 40 are kids that are going D1. The strategy being, that if they become disenchanted at the D1 level........ bad fit, lack of playing time, being redshirted, too far down on the depth chart, any number of reasons, that they may become potential transfers to WT. They are being recruited just as hard as the "legitimate" HS prospects. And, you never know when some of the D1 kids might decide to go D2.

Tarleton has been doing this type of recruiting for several years, even under the previous coaching staff. My guess is most D2 schools do this for all the reasons mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanFan View Post
                          Tarleton has been doing this type of recruiting for several years, even under the previous coaching staff. My guess is most D2 schools do this for all the reasons mentioned.
                          Agreed. This refutes the quantity over quality accusation some previous posters alleged.

Comment

Chip, if I ever I need someone to run interference, you are hands down the person I am calling. WT football should be paying you as a spokesperson. I did some checking on Whitten since it appears he knows how to turn a program around in a short period of time. His recruiting classes are as follows: 2016 was 22, 2017 was 26, and 2018 was 35. So it appears that trying to get over 100 players is not necessary. You just need to get quality in the number of players you do sign. Now, I am sure Tarleton picked up some more players along the way but no where near the scatter blast shot gun method of lets invite everyone and see who shows up.

When you say I am looking for certain type of player for WT and then you pass out invitations to everyone it kinda makes you look........

Comment

Im not sure of anything. That was the information passed along to me. When they were talking about the new offensive strategy, maybe they were talking about the direction that Hughes was going to take the offense with his hire as opposed to what the new OC was going to do.
                              Back to chuck n duck?

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                                Back to chuck n duck?
                                I dont think so. Still at least 50/50.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X