Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas- Centered WAC Expansion

The WAC apparently plans to target Texas schools for expansion. Football Scoop and others have reported that invitations have been issued to 4 current FCS/D1 members of the Southland Conference to join Tarleton and possibly WTAMU.

ACU, Stephen F Austin and Sam Houston have each said they don’t have a formal invitation but are always open to exploring options in the best interest of their university. Lamar seems the least interested. The Texas schools would join Dixie State and possibly Southern Utah to form a new FCS conference, with room for further expansion from current Big Sky and Lone Star schools.

These schools, FBS independent New Mexico State and non football schools UTRGV, Grand Canyon State, Utah Valley, Cal Baptist, Seattle and Chicago State would make up the conference for other sports. (Chicago State is rumored to be on the way out).

If this scenario works out the WAC would be a solid FCS and a very good mid major basketball conference.

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
    These schools, FBS independent New Mexico State and non football schools UTRGV, Grand Canyon State, Utah Valley, Cal Baptist, Seattle and Chicago State would make up the conference for other sports. (Chicago State is rumored to be on the way out).
    It would be interesting if UTRGV & Utah Valley would start up football after Covid passes.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

It would be interesting if UTRGV & Utah Valley would start up football after Covid passes.
      UTRGV has discussed adding football in the past and I think they already have a stadium.

Comment

The only draw for the SLC schools mentioned would be the grand-fathered clause for the WAC to produce an FBS Conference. That has been rumored as the bait on the lure for the four Texas Schools.... add them + Tarleton and NMSU and more dominoes could fall to draw more people in for a new (revived) WAC FBS conference.

Yes I know the thought of Tarleton going FBS is laughable but it is being talked about. The TAMU-System/BOR is on a war path to make the TAMUS the top system in the nation... you do that by increasing the system's footprint---- Moving current schools to D1 to increase exposure.

Comment

Matt Brown, the main person reporting on all this, says that there's no talk of an FBS WAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
            Matt Brown, the main person reporting on all this, says that there's no talk of an FBS WAC.
            And just like him... we all report what we hear.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
              The only draw for the SLC schools mentioned would be the grand-fathered clause for the WAC to produce an FBS Conference. That has been rumored as the bait on the lure for the four Texas Schools.... add them + Tarleton and NMSU and more dominoes could fall to draw more people in for a new (revived) WAC FBS conference.

Yes I know the thought of Tarleton going FBS is laughable but it is being talked about. The TAMU-System/BOR is on a war path to make the TAMUS the top system in the nation... you do that by increasing the system's footprint---- Moving current schools to D1 to increase exposure.
              That conference would be so bad. Not sure that would give the Texas schools the desired ‘prestige boost’. But hey, it would be FBS so egos would be satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post

And just like him... we all report what we hear.
                Nothing personal, but THATS why media is a joke. Reporters (if you will) no longer vet their resources. Everyone is rushing to be the first to break a story.....and get as many "hits" as possible and "hey, it COULD be true. Maybe. Possibly."

This is why, I, like many individuals, have stopped listening to or reading ANYTHING coming from media outlets. Nowadays....EVERYONE is a reporter and "knows a guy". What is called "news" is hearsay or opinions.

NO THANKS!!

I am now like MISSOURI....SHOW ME.
                Last edited by ASUPops; 10-30-2020, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

That conference would be so bad. Not sure that would give the Texas schools the desired ‘prestige boost’. But hey, it would be FBS so egos would be satisfied.
                  707LOL REALLY BAD!!!!

Comment

i cant see Sam Houston leaving southland without a good reason and an quick jump to FBS would do it. But SHSU and SFA HBU and Lamar im not sure its thier best interest. But Abiliene and Incarnate word i can see jumping pretty fast.

If they can get two four schools it will happen and WTAMU would have to make a run at it. Who could blame them. other option stay in a LSC that is now run by small private non football schools. I just don't see it.

Comment

Tarleton has already made the move Wisdomgymrat.

Comment

For now the focus is in on these 4 schools- SFA. Sam Houston. Lamar. ACU.

There are two very different questions to answer before making the decision to stay or go?

1. What does the WAC offer?
                        2. What’s does the future of the SLC look like?

The focus of most discussions centers on the former. That is, what opportunities does the WAC provide? Answers usually center on moving to a better basketball conference and an easy path to the FBS. Without both of these incentives jumping to the WAC doesn’t make much sense, or so the reasoning goes.

At first glance this reasoning makes sense. Why leave an established multi bid playoff FCS conference for what is likely a single bid start up? Why trade bus trips to play Conference foes for plane rides to play the likes of Dixie State?

What about the second question though? What about the state of the Southland Conference?

The Louisiana schools have suffered cut backs in state funding for the past decade. That was prior to the pandemic. What’s their post-COVID19 situation going to look like? Can they continue at the FCS level? Leaders from several SLC schools have made their unhappiness with the lack of vision by the SLC leadership. Adding HBU and UIW was based in the faulty rationale that the conference would be gaining exposure in two big media markets. This ignores the fact that both schools are eclipsed by much bigger names in their respective markets, which isn’t likely to change since have lower budgets and poor facilities. Schools like Tarleton would have made more sense. Throw on the fact that Central Arkansas is rumored to be interested in a move to the Ohio Valley and there are enough questions about the future of the conference that it isn’t unreasonable to wonder if this is a good time to bail.

their post-COViD sit

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I am now like Kansas.....SHOW ME.
                          PSSSST!! Wrong state. 707070707070707070707

Comment

Personally, I think Lamar and SFA should go to the WAC. Both schools have been stagnant for a decade or longer. It’s probably not the ideal situation or conference for them. Not Like the Sunbelt is going to come calling either. But, both schools would get more exposure nationally to maybe kickstart someone in Admin to get a plan of action so maybe these schools can start growing again. As I have said before for all the bad press the WAC gets its still better than the NO press the SouthLand receives.

Comment

I hope they play their games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Then we can have MACtion and WACtion.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X