Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yeah you dont build a new stadium to move down a division.

I do agree WT is in a tough spot. If the LSC folds and they dont catch the D1 train then I would think the most likely landing spots would be the RMAC or the GAC.

RMAC is more desirable than they were 10 years ago now that Mines and Pueblo are good respectable teams. It seems like they do well regionally in basketball and baseball.

Does the GAC have a scholarship limit? Might be resistance there since the Oklahoma schools were "nudged" out of the new LSC.

Independent football would suck. Then you run the risk of going 9-1 like Humboldt state did a few years ago and miss the playoffs.

Deciding factor is can you get decent crowds to watch home games against South Dakota Mines and Black Hills or take the D1 jump and advertise SFA, SHSU, Utah Valley, etc.?

Downside is most casual fans aren't going to know the difference and may not care. The main difference is having a shot at postseason NCAA baseball, basketball, etc. televised tournaments.
    I think the RMAC is the logical move if a move has to be made eventually. Some of the travel would be rough but for the most part very doable in a day. About 7 hours to Mines, 5 to Pueblo, 10 to Mesa. Spearfish would be 12 hours, I think that's the longest trip they'd have. Beyond possibly Mesa I don't see any of the schools in the conference moving out of D2 either so some stability is seemingly present as well.

As far as getting people in the stands, one thing will do that - win games.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I think the RMAC is the logical move if a move has to be made eventually. Some of the travel would be rough but for the most part very doable in a day. About 7 hours to Mines, 5 to Pueblo, 10 to Mesa. Spearfish would be 12 hours, I think that's the longest trip they'd have. Beyond possibly Mesa I don't see any of the schools in the conference moving out of D2 either so some stability is seemingly present as well.

As far as getting people in the stands, one thing will do that - win games.
      The long trips shouldn't bother WT since that Kingsville bus ride is a lot of hours. Good point on the RMAC stability. Hopefully WT wins early and often to fill the stadium.

Comment

Any guesses on the game tomorrow? I am worried about this one. I might predict we would win by a field goal, but I don't think we ever have in the Hughes era. At least we used a different kicker last game.

Comment

Originally posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post
          WT is in a pickle.

Their current conference is dying.

Their plans to move to the Big 12 has lost its appeal since they scared off OU and UT.

Being a D2 independent is a problem since some of the conferences play silo schedules. Where will they find teams to play?

Having spent all that money on a big, fancy stadium (which I am happy to see), they can't just drop football. Again.

Their other options are the D3/NAIA route. I suspect they are testing the waters.

Well, Well who's looking at saying "the LSC is dying", the mighty Aggies! What do the other posters of the LSC say? Poor WT, DII softball National Champs, National Runner Up DII mens basketball, track & field All-Americans, ect. Yea, everyone is feeling sorry for us (and wished they had our record).

Comment

Originally posted by exbuff72 View Post
            Well, Well who's looking at saying "the LSC is dying", the mighty Aggies! What do the other posters of the LSC say? Poor WT, DII softball National Champs, National Runner Up DII mens basketball, track & field All-Americans, ect. Yea, everyone is feeling sorry for us (and wished they had our record).
            Well, this is a football forum so the 27 people that watch D2 softball can rejoice but if the LSC were to crumble then a solution for WT should likely already be known, not figured out at the last minute.

Comment

Well, this is a football forum so the 27 people that watch D2 softball can rejoice but if the LSC were to crumble then a solution for WT should likely already be known, not figured out at the last minute.
              The LSC is NOT crumbling...lmao.

Don't you see the trend? Every time things change in the LSC, the sky is falling and the LSC is folding. But we all know that the majority of human kind are optimistic! 70707070707

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

The LSC is NOT crumbling...lmao.

Don't you see the trend? Every time things change in the LSC, the sky is falling and the LSC is folding. But we all know that the majority of human kind are optimistic! 70707070707
                I'm not saying it is. But I'm assuming 2-3 years ago you didn't see OU joining the SEC. If so, good on you and you're a smart guy so maybe you were in the know, but things can quickly change. I don't personally care what the LSC does, I like the football played in the conference, and the people on here associated with the teams....but you never know. Look at the GNAC and the predicament they're in. We also know that the majority of America is the sort that the grass is greener and schools are looking at moving up a la Tarleton. No dog in the fight, just discussing future possibilities.

Comment

I'm not saying it is. But I'm assuming 2-3 years ago you didn't see OU joining the SEC. If so, good on you and you're a smart guy so maybe you were in the know, but things can quickly change. I don't personally care what the LSC does, I like the football played in the conference, and the people on here associated with the teams....but you never know. Look at the GNAC and the predicament they're in. We also know that the majority of America is the sort that the grass is greener and schools are looking at moving up a la Tarleton. No dog in the fight, just discussing future possibilities.
                  Some of the LSC football schools are getting ready to move out because they see the conference office as leaning toward the demands of the non football schools who are in the majority. This was predictable and expected, just not this quick. It was 9-9 but Tarleton leaving changed all of that.

Comment

Can anything happen??? Of course (i.e. Joe Biden is president) so, yes. ANYTHING can happen. But, folding a conference with 18 member institutions is not one of them.

Will some LSC teams move up,, down,, or sideways? Probably at some point.

FYI, I didn't know about OU, but I did Texas. Been in the works for several years.

If your theory is correct, RMAC instititions will be looking at greener grass as well, no? Anything's possible, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

If your theory is correct, RMAC instititions will be looking at greener grass as well, no? Anything's possible, right?
                      It is possible indeed, as soon as each of them triples enrollment and wins power ball :) maybe next year.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

Some of the LSC football schools are getting ready to move out because they see the conference office as leaning toward the demands of the non football schools who are in the majority. This was predictable and expected, just not this quick. It was 9-9 but Tarleton leaving changed all of that.
                        Okay great, so where do the football schools go then? This is the discussion, it doesn't matter why they would leave, just where they would go. Again, I don't care what happens, just speculating that WT could easily join the RMAC without much trouble due to their proximity to many of the current RMAC members.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

I am hearing talk about either a merger or several schools coming back to the LSC and having a North/South super conference.

We'll see.

Comment

WT took the opening kickoff and got a couple of first downs, then punted for 21 yards (kicking is not important in the Hughes era). PB went on a 7+ minute drive of 60 yards to go ahead 7-0.

Comment

7-7 on a 1 yard run by Harris, who is looking good, as is Gerber.

Comment

14-7 Falcons. A short pass by the QB, but the WT defenders appeared to have their helmets on backwards for the long run. A 3 play drive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X