Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If WT is anything like Angelo, the pres is a huge deal when it comes to football.

Angelo's previous pres, Dr. May was HUGE into football. I remember him telling me when he made the move on Wagner that Girsch was the REAL DEAL. He was so PISSED about the direction of Angelo football and he had enough. He terminated Wagner after a win against ENMU (same night) with two games left in the 2018 season. That man had BALLS.

I remember him telling me "If Girsch is a bust, it's all on me. It would totally land on my shoulders because I believe 100% that he is the right guy. He is the real deal"

Man, May was absolutely right and so invested in Angelo State football. I loved watching his enthusiasm. Never seen a pres like that.

So, the question is, is Wendler a "football guy"?

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

What I find interesring is that Michael McBroom got his masters from one of my alma maters, and his 1st AD job was WTAMU. WHY IN THE WORLD would WT hire an AD that has never been an AD???

Also,Carthel just started 1 year before McBroom. And was there 7 seasons with McBroom.......so,it must not be McBroom that's the problem.

I read his bio, and he sounds GREAT.

https://gobuffsgo.com/staff-director...ael-mcbroom/16

The difference may you your president, who arrived in 2016. Don't know.
      It was well known that Carthel and McBroom did not get along, and barely spoke.

Comment

If WT is anything like Angelo, the pres is a huge deal when it comes to football.

Angelo's previous pres, Dr. May was HUGE into football. I remember him telling me when he made the move on Wagner that Girsch was the REAL DEAL. He was so PISSED about the direction of Angelo football and he had enough. He terminated Wagner after a win against ENMU (same night) with two games left in the 2018 season. That man had BALLS.

I remember him telling me "If Girsch is a bust, it's all on me. It would totally land on my shoulders because I believe 100% that he is the right guy. He is the real deal"

Man, May was absolutely right and so invested in Angelo State football. I loved watching his enthusiasm. Never seen a pres like that.

Evidently NOT.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

It was well known that Carthel and McBroom did not get along, and barely spoke.
          How could a HC and AD barely speak???

Comment

How could a HC and AD barely speak???
            https://www.amarillo.com/story/sport...t/13304338007/

Comment

What I find interesting is that Michael McBroom got his master's from one of my alma maters, and his 1st AD job was at WTAMU. WHY IN THE WORLD would WT hire an AD that has never been an AD???

Also, Carthel just started 1 year before McBroom. And was there 7 seasons with McBroom.......so, it must not be McBroom that's the problem.

I read his bio, and he sounds GREAT.

https://gobuffsgo.com/staff-director...ael-mcbroom/16

The difference may you your president, who arrived in 2016. Don't know.
              There is a real lack of leadership at Wt now. Our Pres. is simply playing out the string till his retirement.
              Mc Broom was hired by the previous AD, Ed Harris, to be Ed's replacement when he retired.
              The plan was for Mc Broom to be trained by Harris and take over. That is what happened.

I have gotten to know McBroom well over the last several years. He truly wants each sport to be successful.
              The issue with boosters is that hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to say Hugh's was a bad hire. Mook (SB),
              Morgan (VB), Brown (MBB), and Prock (WBB) have all been very good hires. Mattio (WBB) was an end-of-season promotion
              that record-wise turned out to be a good hire. McBroom uses the same process to hire every HC. It's hard for me to say that the
              process is flawed or his judgment is not good. The two notable outliers were Nesbitt and Patel. (Patel is now HC at ASU)
              Both of those were forced mid-season hires when the HC left and McBroom could not take time to implement his hiring process.
              So, what is the problem with football?? Clearly coaching is part of the problem. I do not believe that it's 100% of the problem.
              With a proven track record of hiring success, there must be other factors at play. I have no clue what they are.
              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

There is a real lack of leadership at Wt now. Our Pres. is simply playing out the string till his retirement.
                Mc Broom was hired by the previous AD, Ed Harris, to be Ed's replacement when he retired.
                The plan was for Mc Broom to be trained by Harris and take over. That is what happened.

I have gotten to know McBroom well over the last several years. He truly wants each sport to be successful.
                The issue with boosters is that hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to say Hugh's was a bad hire. Mook (SB),
                Morgan (VB), Brown (MBB), and Prock (WBB) have all been very good hires. Mattio (WBB) was an end-of-season promotion
                that record-wise turned out to be a good hire. McBroom uses the same process to hire every HC. It's hard for me to say that the
                process is flawed or his judgment is not good. The two notable outliers were Nesbitt and Patel. (Patel is now HC at ASU)
                Both of those were forced mid-season hires when the HC left and McBroom could not take time to implement his hiring process.
                So, what is the problem with football?? Clearly coaching is part of the problem. I do not believe that it's 100% of the problem.
                With a proven track record of hiring success, there must be other factors at play. I have no clue what they are.
                I had been told that McBroom was introducing Nesbitt as the "next head coach" before Carthel was fired. Even if this is untrue, there were no other candidates considered before Nesbitt had the "interim" removed from his title. WT tanked the following season. This season makes 9 years of mediocre football. Most of us, including me, thought Hughes would be successful.

Why did the basketball coach walk a few months after Carthel was fired?

I agree with you on Wendler.

Comment

If WT is anything like Angelo, the pres is a huge deal when it comes to football.

Wendler is a joke. WT is the only school in the aTm system getting smaller. Lots of philosophical gibberish, not much vision or leadership. I have a feeling he’s now tampering with the athletics program, and not in positive ways. Really a shame for WT.

I don’t know why aTm puts these geezers in canyon that are at the edge of retirement. Is that a job requirement to be president of WT? This is what you get when you give away your university to a mothership 500 miles away. No real control by the stakeholders.

Comment

• It wasn't 2 freaking $30 tickets, it was asking student-athletes to lie to the AD to cover his arse.

"He said he told McBroom yes and told the student-athletes to tell him the same."

Enough said!

Comment

• Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Wendler is a joke. WT is the only school in the aTm system getting smaller. Lots of philosophical gibberish, not much vision or leadership. I have a feeling he’s now tampering with the athletics program, and not in positive ways. Really a shame for WT.

I don’t know why aTm puts these geezers in canyon that are at the edge of retirement. Is that a job requirement to be president of WT? This is what you get when you give away your university to a mothership 500 miles away. No real control by the stakeholders.
                      I have to agree with this. Wendell needs to GO! WT needs an energetic LEADER who grows the enrollment and understands the importance of athletics to the university. The WT Prez should not encourage high school students to look for alternatives to WT. Craziness!

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

The WT Prez should not encourage high school students to look for alternatives to WT. Craziness!
                        Now do what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Now do what?

Wendler's been out there proselytizing that high school students SHOULD consider going to a community college before going to WT.

What a great way to see enrollment decrease!!! NO NO NO.

His job at WT should be to INCREASE enrollment. You can't do that by encouraging HS kids to consider anything other than WT. WTF was/is he thinking??? He's a great big DUFUS. Confused as to his role as the leader at WT. A placeholder. Uninvolved. I wonder if he will create financial havoc for the athletic department by his hands-off approach and demeanor? It can only take a few years to destroy what has taken a long time to build. Wendler needs to GO.

WT needs a President who understands the importance of athletics to a regional university like WT. WT needs a President determined to GROW enrollment. Wendell is not that President.

Comment

• Wendler's recruiting strategy is boiled down to "go somewhere else (first), or at least stay off campus".

So far he's knocked enrollment down by about 10%.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                              Wendler's recruiting strategy is boiled down to "go somewhere else (first), or at least stay off campus".

So far he's knocked enrollment down by about 10%.
                              Pretty much every university president does two things: Get more students, which leads to getting more money. If he's not doing the first, the second's a whole heck of a lot harder.

I know for me that one of the reasons New Haven was even on my radar for college choices was because I heard about them when the football team went and beat UConn when I was in high school. And that was in the Northeast, where football is definitely not the top sport.

Schools can be good academically and athletically, it is certainly possible. New Haven hired a president who could commit to both. You would think with a president who has fairly strong ties to Texas, that Wendler would be more capable at figuring that out at WT.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Wendler's been out there proselytizing that high school students SHOULD consider going to a community college before going to WT.
                                Huh? When did this happen? No way this happened.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X