Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    At UNK, Lynn inherited a program with 18 schollies in the MIAA, so I think the improvements will come quicker at WT. In 3 years, he'll have a nice team together, imo.
    UNK was reportedly at 20 scholarships when they entered the MIAA. They were up to 32 when Lynn took over in 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

At the very least, WT now has a HC who has proven he can have a winning program, win LSC conference championships, and make the playoffs (even in the highly regarded MIAA). Will it happen in year one? Very doubtful. I don't think that is "buying into the hype."

I remember when Hughes was hired. On here I said to give him four years. If he was not winning an LSC championship or making the playoffs it would be time to move on. The Covid year disrupted that, prolonging the inevitable.

I won't even make such a suggestion with Lynn. His record speaks for itself. Past success usually predicts future success. If WT can have a winning season this year....good. Year two should be getting down to the type of team Lynn has taken into battle in the past.
      Yes, similar talk about a coach who knows how to coach a play-off team year in and year out. A coach who knows what it takes to win a natty....etc. etc.

That was the WT talk and hype when Hughes was hired.

With that said, I did pick WT to finish 1st or 2nd in LSC in 2023. On paper, everything looks like WT will be a BEAST.

HOWEVER, like I said. I AIN'T BUYIN. Show me a 2nd week play-off game and THEN I will start believing. Until then, I will leave all the hoopla to the hopefuls.

Comment

• Originally posted by loper legionnaire View Post

UNK was reportedly at 20 scholarships when they entered the MIAA. They were up to 32 when Lynn took over in 2017.
        I had always heard they were still at old rmac levels. Thanks for debunking that.

Comment

• That said, he still turned out tough, physical teams who knew how to play defense. IDK if he'll ever make WT relevant nationally, but I still think he will be competitive in the LSC in 3 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Yes, similar talk about a coach who knows how to coach a play-off team year in and year out. A coach who knows what it takes to win a natty....etc. etc.

That was the WT talk and hype when Hughes was hired.

With that said, I did pick WT to finish 1st or 2nd in LSC in 2023. On paper, everything looks like WT will be a BEAST.

HOWEVER, like I said. I AIN'T BUYIN. Show me a 2nd week play-off game and THEN I will start believing. Until then, I will leave all the hoopla to the hopefuls.
            Coaching only goes so far. Can Lynn and staff recruit Texas and beyond? That is the real question. With 75 plus holdovers, new transfers, and belated HS recruiting class, Lynn will definitely need to find some "diamonds in the rough" this year and coach everyone else up......to have a winning season 1.

Recruiting was the talent Carthel and son had. The capability of spotting talent and recruiting it was their ace hole card. It really wasn't their "great" coaching. The coaching was okay/pretty good. The talent was premium (for D2). Had the coaching been "great" WT would have moved past the semifinals more than once and maybe/shoulda won a natty. Don and Colby could charm the heart of a jaded shop-worn ho if she could run a 4.41.

Comment

Coaching only goes so far. Can Lynn and staff recruit Texas and beyond? That is the real question. With 75 plus holdovers, new transfers, and belated HS recruiting class, Lynn will definitely need to find some "diamonds in the rough" this year and coach everyone else up......to have a winning season 1.

Recruiting was the talent Carthel and son had. The capability of spotting talent and recruiting it was their ace hole card. It really wasn't their "great" coaching. The coaching was okay/pretty good. The talent was premium (for D2). Had the coaching been "great" WT would have moved past the semifinals more than once and maybe/shoulda won a natty. Don and Colby could charm the heart of a jaded shop-worn ho if she could run a 4.41.
              This is no exaggeration!! More so Colby than Don.

Comment

I had always heard they were still at old rmac levels. Thanks for debunking that.
                This article from a couple years ago shows the progression of scholarship increases. https://lopers.com/news/2021/4/23/fo...ckers-yet.aspx

Comment

Recruiting Texas seems to be something you have to be able to do, no matter where your school is located these days.

I'll be interested to see if Lynn has the guys in place to do that.

What does WT do for out of state recruits? Is it "Everyone outside ofbTX pays out of state fees" or is it "Everyone in these 40 states gets in state rates" or is it somewhere in between?

Comment

Recruiting Texas seems to be something you have to be able to do, no matter where your school is located these days.

I'll be interested to see if Lynn has the guys in place to do that.

What does WT do for out of state recruits? Is it "Everyone outside ofbTX pays out of state fees" or is it "Everyone in these 40 states gets in state rates" or is it somewhere in between?
                    Yes, Lynn was in the LSC and has several coaches on staff that were in the LSC before, all of which recruited Texas and have HS coaching contacts.

Recruits are offered a non-resident or out-of-state tuition waiver as part of their scholarship if they come from outside of Texas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

West Texas A&M Athletics and head football coach Josh Lynn invite members of Buff Nation to join the Buffs for a WT Football Fundraiser on Thursday, April 20th inside of Legacy Hall inside of the Jack B. Kelley Student Center.

Enjoy a night filled with fellowship, food and football as Coach Lynn and his staff share the fundamentals and future plans of the program in an engaging four-quarter program. Tickets are $100 and can be purchased online HERE.

Schedule of Events
                      Tailgate – 5:30 p.m.
                      1st Quarter – Welcome & Dinner (6:35 p.m.)
                      2nd Quarter – Offensive Game Plan with Chase Kyser (7:15 p.m.)
                      Halftime – Staff Introductions (7:30 p.m.)
                      3rd Quarter – Defensive Game Plan with Levi Gallas (7:45 p.m.)
                      4th Quarter – Head Coach Josh Lynn (8:00 p.m.)
                      Post-Game After Party – 8:30 p.m.
                      Heard not even close to enough tickets sold to even hold the event.

But I think the truth is all the Drag Queens bought out the tickets to the event and Wendler "POSTPONED" it. 😄

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2023/4/10...postponed.aspx

Comment

Heard not even close to enough tickets sold to even hold the event.

But I think the truth is all the Drag Queens bought out the tickets to the event and Wendler "POSTPONED" it. 😄

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2023/4/10...postponed.aspx
                        WT football fans have been "burnt." The herd has thinned exponentially. It will take some time and a couple of successful seasons to rebuild fan enthusiasm. We're in "show me" mode.

I would have done this event entirely different. Imagine a mailing list including every season ticket holder. Every member of the Buffalo Club (duplicates culled). Imagine a nice invitation mailed to each of those fans. Imagine a crisp new $10 bill in each invitation asking the invitee to give the new guys a hearing. Imagine the invitation invites each fan to come to the event and bring the $10 bill with you (or just keep it if you're not interested). At the event the new coaching staff does their thing as originally outlined. Get everybody jacked up!

Off course, at the end of the event everyone is encouraged to donate the $10 back to the program.....and please help with an additional donation to cover the cost of the event (say $100 per person or whatever you think the dinner and show was worth) .....and then, if so inclined, invest even more in the new WT football program. At the very least, people might just show up.

Otherwise, asking for $100 tickets and additional contributions from "burnt" WT football fans is akin to an insurance salesman asking you to write the annual premium check on a new policy before he even shows up to make his sales pitch.

Hey, I'm just a small businessman with 51 years experience as a business owner. What do I know? Well, I do know sometimes you have to read your customer and come up with imaginative approaches to get the customer in the door. If you can't get them in the door, it's hard to make the sales pitch. And even harder to close the sale.

Just my suggestion to the people in charge.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 04-13-2023, 02:39 PM.

Comment

WT football fans have been "burnt." The herd has thinned exponentially. It will take some time and a couple of successful seasons to rebuild fan enthusiasm. We're in "show me" mode.

I would have done this event entirely different. Imagine a mailing list including every season ticket holder. Every member of the Buffalo Club (duplicates culled). Imagine a nice invitation mailed to each of those fans. Imagine a crisp new $10 bill in each invitation asking the invitee to give the new guys a hearing. Imagine the invitation invites each fan to come to the event and bring the $10 bill with you (or just keep it if you're not interested). At the event the new coaching staff does their thing as originally outlined. Get everybody jacked up!

Off course, at the end of the event everyone is encouraged to donate the $10 back to the program.....and please help with an additional donation to cover the cost of the event (say $100 per person or whatever you think the dinner and show was worth) .....and then, if so inclined, invest even more in the new WT football program. At the very least, people might just show up.

Otherwise, asking for $100 tickets and additional contributions from "burnt" WT football fans is akin to an insurance salesman asking you to write the annual premium check on a new policy before he even shows up to make his sales pitch.

Hey, I'm just a small businessman with 51 years experience as a business owner. What do I know? Well, I do know sometimes you have to read your customer and come up with imaginative approaches to get the customer in the door. If you can't get them in the door, it's hard to make the sales pitch. And even harder to close the sale.

Just my suggestion to the people in charge.
                          Not sure they can legally give state funds to Alum. But, I get your point....a different approach that's inviting.

I agree.

Comment

Not sure they can legally give state funds to Alum. But, I get your point....a different approach that's inviting.

I agree.
                            Then give everyone a "voucher" redeemable for WT gear when they return said "voucher" to the FB presentation. Lot's of ways to get people to show up instead of always having your hand out. Besides, it's always the usual suspects who show up and open their checkbooks (like me). We need to broaden the depleted FB base. This may have sounded like a good way to do it, but the administration misread the consumer and overplayed their hand with a weak hole card.

Comment

I agree.
                              Then don't use state funds...

Comment

• Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Then don't use state funds...
                                That's the way I see it. The funds would come from the Buffalo Club and listed as marketing (fundraiser) expense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X