Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

So with all these AMAZING "who cares sports" accomplishments, why is football such a sh!t show?

I say the admin doesn't like football.

Maybe they caught a wedgie or got poled in high school by the football team's waterboy?? But, whatever it is, football is not important to them.

And you can uptalk every other sport you wish, BUT you and I know that football is god in Texas. What other sport has a "Friday Night Lights" in Texas? NONE!

If a university wins a football Natty, every other sport could be last place and nobody cares.

Exactly. Does NW Missouri have a great softball team? I don't know or care. How about Pittsburg State's basketball team? I don't know or care. How about Ferris' soccer team? I don't know or care, but I do know those schools traditionally have excellent football teams.

We used to as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Exactly. Does NW Missouri have a great softball team? I don't know or care. How about Pittsburg State's basketball team? I don't know or care. How about Ferris' soccer team? I don't know or care, but I do know those schools traditionally have excellent football teams.

We used to as well.
      100% correct.

GWB sounds like Biden campaigning for democrats. Trying to sell sh!t nobody cares about.

It's like that presidents, whatever it is, competition that gives your university points for something....and WT always does well according to GWB. Ummmm....ok? When was the last LSC football title or football national playoffs win?

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

100% correct.

GWB sounds like Biden campaigning for democrats. Trying to sell sh!t nobody cares about.

It's like that presidents, whatever it is, competition that gives your university points for something....and WT always does well according to GWB. Ummmm....ok? When was the last LSC football title or football national playoffs win?
        Maybe GWB can wake Rip Van Winkle up to watch the next time WT football advances to the playoffs. Nah, too busy watching W Basketball. Yawning…,,,

Comment

• Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Maybe GWB can wake Rip Van Winkle up to watch the next time WT football advances to the playoffs. Nah, too busy watching W Basketball. Yawning…,,,

Comment

I would be surprised if Hughes had a job lined up, unless it's a coordinator job, and let's face it our defense has been pretty spotty this year.
            He burned all the bridges at CSUP, so he is NOT going back!

Comment

Thanks for the update. I am very glad to see no NAIA teams scheduled! Western State was 10-2 last year with a 6 point loss to Mines. I don't see WT beating them unless they lost a lot of players, especially since Hughes teams are slow starters.

It's hard to evaluate CWU. They were 8-3 last year, but 7 of those wins came against WOU, Simon Fraser, Lincoln, and the New Mexico teams. They also beat MSU but lost to Angelo. I predict they will defeat WT.

WT won't beat Angelo and will be hard pressed to beat UTPB, Kingsville, and Midwestern. The easy wins next year should be Simon Fraser, WNMU, and Adams State. However, last year's game against WOU was supposed to be easy.

I'm sorry to see Simon Fraser scheduled for mid November. If it were in September or October I might go up for that. I was impressed with the colors in Western Washington and SE Alaska last October.

Prediction: 6-5.
              What people didn't realize when I posted this in February that I was being optimistic. It's possible WT will finish 5-6. I went through Canadian customs in April and May. It was a frustrating and exhausting experience, especially after a long trip. I thought the last game in Canyon for the seniors might power them past a 2-7 team, but I was wrong. How motivated will the team be to play in a pointless, cold, mud bowl? Of course, the weather may improve. https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/bu...forecast/47172

Hughes was right last night when he said at halftime "they want it more than we do".

How many of you are making the trip? I guess KAMR won't be carrying the game. :(

https://lonestarconference.org/stand...path=football&

Comment

• We all have a slightly different points of view of WT based on the era when we attended the university but this is the most disappointing period in my experience. I graduated from Odessa Permian in 91 spent 2 years at Odessa College and transferred in WT in F 93 and graduated in S 96. I met my wife there our daughter wanted to attend WT but was told that scholarship priority was giving to Panhandle County students. My daughter is at Tech and all the problems we are having with campus life (housing and food service) would not be a problem at the WT I knew. WT always has had a high on campus student population and the school always took care of us. WT's cafe is better than anything Tech has for their students. WT is where my daughter would have fit in best but she was so put off by the "Panhandle Student" comments that she felt like the school didn't want her there. IN the 90's UTPB really didn't exist yet. Midland/Odessa students either went to Tech or WT. WT has always served the Permian Basin. Until a few years ago WT had billboards all around the area advertising WT. Now, WT has abandoned the area. What is going on at WT? I have never known WT to be so short sighted as they are currently.

I have a son that will select his college soon. God forbid that both my kids attend Tech. I do not like Texas Tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post
                  We all have a slightly different points of view of WT based on the era when we attended the university but this is the most disappointing period in my experience. I graduated from Odessa Permian in 91 spent 2 years at Odessa College and transferred in WT in F 93 and graduated in S 96. I met my wife there our daughter wanted to attend WT but was told that scholarship priority was giving to Panhandle County students. My daughter is at Tech and all the problems we are having with campus life (housing and food service) would not be a problem at the WT I knew. WT always has had a high on campus student population and the school always took care of us. WT's cafe is better than anything Tech has for their students. WT is where my daughter would have fit in best but she was so put off by the "Panhandle Student" comments that she felt like the school didn't want her there. IN the 90's UTPB really didn't exist yet. Midland/Odessa students either went to Tech or WT. WT has always served the Permian Basin. Until a few years ago WT had billboards all around the area advertising WT. Now, WT has abandoned the area. What is going on at WT? I have never known WT to be so short sighted as they are currently.

I have a son that will select his college soon. God forbid that both my kids attend Tech. I do not like Texas Tech.
                  What would your son like to study?? May we can help out? Has he been on campus?
                  The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• I happened to be looking through WT football records and just realized that it has been 9 years, NINE YEARS since WTAMU has been significant in the LSC (2013). That was the last dominant season they had. Geesh!!

It doesn't seem that long ago. I guess mentally I remember the days of Carthel, when WT had a REAL team. It doesn't seem that long ago. But it really is.

Blows my mind to look at the LSC standings and see them 3 spots from last.

Comment

We used to as well.
                      Funny thing about this statement that NW Missouri St. is now known for their dominant Men's basketball teams and football has tailed off for their standards the last few years.

To show you how tough SR3 is they are 8-2 and ranked 10th in the region.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post
                        We all have a slightly different points of view of WT based on the era when we attended the university but this is the most disappointing period in my experience. I graduated from Odessa Permian in 91 spent 2 years at Odessa College and transferred in WT in F 93 and graduated in S 96. I met my wife there our daughter wanted to attend WT but was told that scholarship priority was giving to Panhandle County students. My daughter is at Tech and all the problems we are having with campus life (housing and food service) would not be a problem at the WT I knew. WT always has had a high on campus student population and the school always took care of us. WT's cafe is better than anything Tech has for their students. WT is where my daughter would have fit in best but she was so put off by the "Panhandle Student" comments that she felt like the school didn't want her there. IN the 90's UTPB really didn't exist yet. Midland/Odessa students either went to Tech or WT. WT has always served the Permian Basin. Until a few years ago WT had billboards all around the area advertising WT. Now, WT has abandoned the area. What is going on at WT? I have never known WT to be so short sighted as they are currently.

Here is a true story of mine.

I went to WT in 2003 to go back to college after getting my head out of my arse. Nobody including myself didn't realize WT seriously still played football.
                        Last thing I remembered about WT football is they fielded a non-scholarship team one year and acted like they won the most improbable game ever beating ENMU during that year. Thats how bad WT was in the crapper. I moved to Corpus to attend TAMCC in 2004. In 2005 I hear a bunch of my Dad's friends pissed off one weekend at a cookout because his Kingsville alumnus friends were talking about them losing to ALL teams West Texas A&M and the coach should be fired for that. This is how I started following WT again and found the D2 board. I followed and watched WT's attendance soar that year and make the playoffs. That is how I also figured out the MIAA was the powerhouse and Pittsburg State clobbered WT at home during that playoff game.

I move back a couple of years later and attended every WT home game and tailgate. Atmosphere was awesome and made a lot of lifelong friends on this board and still great friends with several that no longer post on this board.

Fast forward to this era. Its back to pre 2005 where very few WT students talk about the football team and hardly anyone in Amarillo knows it exists now. The new stadium is now known for hosting high school regular season football games as a neutral site for travelling south teams that dont want to make the full trip to Dick Bivins in Amarillo and probably some neutral site playoff games.

Again I like Hughes and I hate to see him not be successful. I wish him the best of luck where ever he goes as long as it isn't against WT.

WT isn't even considered as a great stepping stone victory for the bottom feeders as it once was.

Its tough to watch Kingsville, UTPB, etc. get going and start to pass WT.

It's time to get back to the top. If I want to see a whole team of student athletes with 4.0 GPA's play football I will order a subscription to IVY league football.

Comment

• Just got my email of the latest issue of The Buff Banner. In it there is an invitation to the 2023 Football Fundraiser to be held Thursday, April 20 at Legacy Hall on campus. Tickets are $100. Anyone know any more details?

Comment

• Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
                            Just got my email of the latest issue of The Buff Banner. In it there is an invitation to the 2023 Football Fundraiser to be held Thursday, April 20 at Legacy Hall on campus. Tickets are $100. Anyone know any more details?
                            I heard it's going to be a drag show, and Wendler cancelled the other one to prevent it from infringing on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldbuff View Post
                              Just got my email of the latest issue of The Buff Banner. In it there is an invitation to the 2023 Football Fundraiser to be held Thursday, April 20 at Legacy Hall on campus. Tickets are $100. Anyone know any more details?
                              West Texas A&M Athletics and head football coach Josh Lynn invite members of Buff Nation to join the Buffs for a WT Football Fundraiser on Thursday, April 20th inside of Legacy Hall inside of the Jack B. Kelley Student Center.

Enjoy a night filled with fellowship, food and football as Coach Lynn and his staff share the fundamentals and future plans of the program in an engaging four-quarter program. Tickets are $100 and can be purchased online HERE.

Schedule of Events
                              Tailgate – 5:30 p.m.
                              1st Quarter – Welcome & Dinner (6:35 p.m.)
                              2nd Quarter – Offensive Game Plan with Chase Kyser (7:15 p.m.)
                              Halftime – Staff Introductions (7:30 p.m.)
                              3rd Quarter – Defensive Game Plan with Levi Gallas (7:45 p.m.)
                              4th Quarter – Head Coach Josh Lynn (8:00 p.m.)
                              Post-Game After Party – 8:30 p.m.
                              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Here is a true story of mine.

I went to WT in 2003 to go back to college after getting my head out of my arse. Nobody including myself didn't realize WT seriously still played football.
                                Last thing I remembered about WT football is they fielded a non-scholarship team one year and acted like they won the most improbable game ever beating ENMU during that year. Thats how bad WT was in the crapper. I moved to Corpus to attend TAMCC in 2004. In 2005 I hear a bunch of my Dad's friends pissed off one weekend at a cookout because his Kingsville alumnus friends were talking about them losing to ALL teams West Texas A&M and the coach should be fired for that. This is how I started following WT again and found the D2 board. I followed and watched WT's attendance soar that year and make the playoffs. That is how I also figured out the MIAA was the powerhouse and Pittsburg State clobbered WT at home during that playoff game.

I move back a couple of years later and attended every WT home game and tailgate. Atmosphere was awesome and made a lot of lifelong friends on this board and still great friends with several that no longer post on this board.

Fast forward to this era. Its back to pre 2005 where very few WT students talk about the football team and hardly anyone in Amarillo knows it exists now. The new stadium is now known for hosting high school regular season football games as a neutral site for travelling south teams that dont want to make the full trip to Dick Bivins in Amarillo and probably some neutral site playoff games.

Again I like Hughes and I hate to see him not be successful. I wish him the best of luck where ever he goes as long as it isn't against WT.

WT isn't even considered as a great stepping stone victory for the bottom feeders as it once was.

Its tough to watch Kingsville, UTPB, etc. get going and start to pass WT.

It's time to get back to the top. If I want to see a whole team of student athletes with 4.0 GPA's play football I will order a subscription to IVY league football.
                                I started following Kingsville in 2001. I was kind of spoiled in that I caught the tail end of when Kingsville was really dominant. From 2001 to 2004, Kingsville won four straight conference championships and went to the semifinals back-to-back years. In those years I think they tried to have one FCS non-conference game each year. They didn't win them all but they did hold their own and get some wins. They had a couple good years under Bo Atterberry in 2009 and 2010 but they never got back up to the level they were at in the early 2000's. They came closest in 2010 when they went 10-1 in the regular season and only lost to Abilene Christian.

There were times where West Texas would play good against Kingsville and be competitive. I remember a couple close scares. That's why I always hope West Texas is strong and competitive, it brings back some good memories.

And I miss Kingsville playing Abilene Christian and Tarleton because of those good old days. There were some good games back then.

And yeah, there weren't many football players with 4.0 GPA's back in those days. Back then LCS schools got some really good talent for two reasons. First, they heavily recruited players who had D1 talent but didn't get D1 offers because they didn't qualify academically or because of arrest records. And secondly because LSC schools could put some of those guys in the NFL as good or better than any other D2 conferences.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X