Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

No, I have not, at least in person. I have seen a short video about it. I do want to visit there.

Looks like WT is going to eke out a win against Texas College. With about 4 minutes remaining, "West Tex. Aamp;M", the way it appears a dozen or more times on the live stats pages, is leading 73-0. Yeah the running backs look like they should be playing for Notre Dame. The fabulous defense is protecting a shutout. Somehow we managed a "12 yard FG", so unless they moved the goal posts forward, that's impossible.

Highlights:

QB Gerber was nearly perfect.
    New punt/kick returner/ running back Marshall did produce.
    Defense managed to knock down little bitty players.
    We made a FG!
    We had 3 backs averaging over 10 yards per carry.

Lowlights:

Our backup QB was 0-3.
    Sloppy formatting of the stats page.
    Playing an NAIA team.

No I didn't watch the game, I just looked at the stats,

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=353812
    They showed a 10 yard FG for ASU in the stats, which is where the loie of scrimmage was for the kick. The ball was placed down on the 17, so last year we would have called that a 27 yard FG.

They did the same in the APP State ECU game. ECU FG attempt from the 21 yard line of scrimmage, ball placed on 28, so should be 38 yard FG, box score shows it as a 21 yard FG.

I guess they are changing how FG's are reported now as the line of scrimmage to the goal line in=stead of the point of kick to the goal posts?
    Last edited by texcap; 09-02-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

They showed a 10 yard FG for ASU in the stats, which is where the loie of scrimmage was for the kick. The ball was placed down on the 17, so last year we would have called that a 27 yard FG.

They did the same in the APP State ECU game. ECU FG attempt from the 21 yard line of scrimmage, ball placed on 28, so should be 38 yard FG, box score shows it as a 21 yard FG.

I guess they are changing how FG's are reported now as the line of scrimmage to the goal line in=stead of the point of kick to the goal posts?
      That's very interesting. I wonder if they will go back and recalculate the previous year's kicks so that distance records will be consistent?

Comment

Okay Joe, I admit I did miss the ;), my apologies. I don't use or need reading glasses, perhaps I lost it in your typical excessive punctuation.

I don't make fun of other LSC teams, though maybe some are hurt that I refer to Kingsville as the Peccaries, but they are. They are not piggies or hogs. Sadly we seem to have lost those posters.

If another LSC team is in the playoffs and we aren't (which is normal since Carthel left) I pull for them. I'm even happy for Tarleton, they are opening with a D1 opponent and we are opening with an NAIA joke team.

Right now I am thinking we lose to Commerce, CSM, and probably Angelo. That means we will have to win most or all of the other real games plus the 2 NAIA byes for Hughes to get another year. I like him and hope he is successful, because I just can't handle another Nesbitt.

On a side note, it looks like the prices at the fabulous on-campus stadium have dropped. $5 for General Admission, $10 for seatbacks. Even so, I wouldn't pay $1 to watch us play an NAIA team. Hey, how are those midnight pep rallies coming? The concerts? There must have been a lot of those too, right? Those were other reasons to build the stadium. Remember, it HAD to be a horseshoe shape, because end zone seating is SO COOL, but then it didn't. At least it should be fun to watch the December graduates shiver.

It's ironic that we had to have an on-campus stadium for the students, but the direction of the University is to have the students off campus!
        Great post. Haha

Comment

Pops, it looks like you need to double up on your Alzheimer's meds. Your conclusion sounds like it came from Joe Biden.

WT is starting the season against an NAIA school with less than a thousand students. I'm sure we will win that one and the last game of the season, against another NAIA team. I hope we can finish second to Commerce in the LSC, but it's not likely. It's a safe bet a Natty is not going to happen with a marginal defense. If we back into the playoffs somehow I will be thrilled,

When the softball team starts their fall scrimmages, I will post updates no matter what the state of the football team is. As I have mentioned many times I do not care about basketball. I've been to 3 VB matches in my life.
          I dont know the whole story but WT may have had trouble finding a D2 non con game (Didnt look like that was a problem for Angelo, ENMU, Commerce).

WT tried the D1 route of SFA and ACU. Didn't go so well with SFA and who knows with ACU since it was cancelled.

Yeah that Texas College game was a turd on the schedule so maybe all this was is a glorified scrimmage to give everyone game time and confidence going into the UTPB game.

We will definitely know next week where WT stands in the middle of the LSC pack and then the Mines game week 4.

If WT is 5-0 going into that Angelo State game then they have a decent shot at the playoffs.

Lose to UTPB and Angelo and its time for Hughes to update that resume and possibly go back to coordinator duties elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I dont know the whole story but WT may have had trouble finding a D2 non con game (Didnt look like that was a problem for Angelo, ENMU, Commerce).

WT tried the D1 route of SFA and ACU. Didn't go so well with SFA and who knows with ACU since it was cancelled.

Yeah that Texas College game was a turd on the schedule so maybe all this was is a glorified scrimmage to give everyone game time and confidence going into the UTPB game.

We will definitely know next week where WT stands in the middle of the LSC pack and then the Mines game week 4.

If WT is 5-0 going into that Angelo State game then they have a decent shot at the playoffs.

Lose to UTPB and Angelo and its time for Hughes to update that resume and possibly go back to coordinator duties elsewhere.
            I think we could have beaten ACU, and I think they knew it too. They probably didn't want a repeat of our last meeting, that we won 36-0. Of course we had a great coach then. Hughes is now 21-19.

I believe you can learn from bigger and better opponents, but not much from joke teams. It was a glorified scrimmage. Our last game of the season is also with an NAIA team.

Comment

Many considerations go into scheduling and the "whys".

As far as trying he D1 route. That was COVID year and not much choice.

Texas College is basically a middle of the pack HS caliber team. I mean 2019 they were 1-9 in NAIA....lol.

But, as you said, it could have been a tune up game. I just worry that when you play such a weak opponent it HURTS instead of HELPS.

WT should be fine against UTPB. WT game of the year will be Angelo......in the trenches.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Many considerations go into scheduling and the "whys".

As far as trying he D1 route. That was COVID year and not much choice.

Texas College is basically a middle of the pack HS caliber team. I mean 2019 they were 1-9 in NAIA.

But, as you said, it could have been a tune up game. I just worry that when you play such a weak opponent it HURTS instead of HELPS

WT should be fine against UTPB. WT game of the year will be Angelo......in the trenches.

WT's final game of the year is against NAIA Bethel College, with an enrollment of 500. So around 10% of the student body is on the football team. I'm betting around 2,000 show up for that exciting contest at the fabulous on-campus stadium. I suppose that could be called a tune-out game.

UTPB managed to schedule ACU this year, along with some weak teams. MSU has scheduled Tarleton State. At least they aren't afraid of D1 teams.

Speaking of D1 teams, Tarleton State went ahead of SFA 10-0 yesterday and held on to lose 20-10. Sitting on a lead is generally a bad plan. Just ask the Atlanta Falcons about their recent Super Bowl. SFA heads to Lubbock next week to face Tech, Go Jacks!

Comment

WT's final game of the year is against NAIA Bethel College, with an enrollment of 500. So around 10% of the student body is on the football team. I'm betting around 2,000 show up for that exciting contest at the fabulous on-campus stadium. I suppose that could be called a tune-out game.

UTPB managed to schedule ACU this year, along with some weak teams. MSU has scheduled Tarleton State. At least they aren't afraid of D1 teams.

Speaking of D1 teams, Tarleton State went ahead of SFA 10-0 yesterday and held on to lose 20-10. Sitting on a lead is generally a bad plan. Just ask the Atlanta Falcons about their recent Super Bowl. SFA heads to Lubbock next week to face Tech, Go Jacks!
                  Hahaha.

Well....I hear your frustration. Do you have inside information as to why WT scheduled two NAIA games?

As far as the on campus stadium.....I understand the new stadium Alum division is still there. Having an on campus stadium is great....the amount spent and the way it is being paid for might not be great. Especially with a major decline in live sports attendance over the past decade.

Watching WT is confusing. Building a new stadium, investing in programs, hiring good coaches, etc... made it seem like a jump to D1 was imminent. But looking at who they are scheduling in football makes it appear as if a D1 move is not even a consideration. VERY CONFUSING indeed.

Comment

Hahaha.

Well....I hear your frustration. Do you have inside information as to why WT scheduled two NAIA games?

As far as the on campus stadium.....I understand the new stadium Alum division is still there. Having an on campus stadium is great....the amount spent and the way it is being paid for might not be great. Especially with a major decline in live sports attendance over the past decade.

Watching WT is confusing. Building a new stadium, investing in programs, hiring good coaches, etc... made it seem like a jump to D1 was imminent. But looking at who they are scheduling in football makes it appear as if a D1 move is not even a consideration. VERY CONFUSING indeed.
                    No, I am definitely an OUTSIDER. I enjoyed good football in a historic venue with plenty of parking and easy access from Amarillo. Supposedly it was WAY to expensive to fix, ADA, bad lighting, too far away (1 mile), blah blah blah. Of course CISD has had no problems fixing it up on their own after buying it and the land for the price of a nice home.

A move to D1 will never happen with the current administration, unless the mothership mandates it.

Maybe we will move down to the NAIA, since we love playing those teams. We could get Nesbitt, who is successful at that level, back as coach and brag it's the best stadium in the NAIA!

Comment

Not sure what the current criteria is but in the past wins/losses against FCS/NAIA/D3 teams are way down in the selection criteria.

The main reason for scheduling a FCS team a big payday, usually around $30K + expenses. A loss does not hurt you

I think the main reason for scheduling down (NAIA/D3) is to get home games when you cannot reach an agreement any D2 teams.

Comment

WT is in a pickle.

Their current conference is dying.

Their plans to move to the Big 12 has lost its appeal since they scared off OU and UT.

Being a D2 independent is a problem since some of the conferences play silo schedules. Where will they find teams to play?

Having spent all that money on a big, fancy stadium (which I am happy to see), they can't just drop football. Again.

Their other options are the D3/NAIA route. I suspect they are testing the waters.

Comment

No, I am definitely an OUTSIDER. I enjoyed good football in a historic venue with plenty of parking and easy access from Amarillo. Supposedly it was WAY to expensive to fix, ADA, bad lighting, too far away (1 mile), blah blah blah. Of course CISD has had no problems fixing it up on their own after buying it and the land for the price of a nice home.

A move to D1 will never happen with the current administration, unless the mothership mandates it.

Maybe we will move down to the NAIA, since we love playing those teams. We could get Nesbitt, who is successful at that level, back as coach and brag it's the best stadium in the NAIA!
                          Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post
                            WT is in a pickle.

Their current conference is dying.

Their plans to move to the Big 12 has lost its appeal since they scared off OU and UT.

Being a D2 independent is a problem since some of the conferences play silo schedules. Where will they find teams to play?

Having spent all that money on a big, fancy stadium (which I am happy to see), they can't just drop football. Again.

Their other options are the D3/NAIA route. I suspect they are testing the waters.

I could never disagree more.

Comment

Yeah that Texas College game was a turd on the schedule so maybe all this was is a glorified scrimmage to give everyone game time and confidence going up into the UTPB game.

UTPeanutButter picked up another W in week one In Missouri. Picking up where they left off if that is any indicator during Covid. I do believe Carrigan has them playing with confidence. If WT loses this one folks are going to have to take a long look at Hughes and decide what they want out of their program.

Comment

I could never disagree more.
                                Yeah you dont build a new stadium to move down a division.

I do agree WT is in a tough spot. If the LSC folds and they dont catch the D1 train then I would think the most likely landing spots would be the RMAC or the GAC.

RMAC is more desirable than they were 10 years ago now that Mines and Pueblo are good respectable teams. It seems like they do well regionally in basketball and baseball.

Does the GAC have a scholarship limit? Might be resistance there since the Oklahoma schools were "nudged" out of the new LSC.

Independent football would suck. Then you run the risk of going 9-1 like Humboldt state did a few years ago and miss the playoffs.

Deciding factor is can you get decent crowds to watch home games against South Dakota Mines and Black Hills or take the D1 jump and advertise SFA, SHSU, Utah Valley, etc.?

Downside is most casual fans aren't going to know the difference and may not care. The main difference is having a shot at postseason NCAA baseball, basketball, etc. televised tournaments.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X