Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And what southern teams would you consider D2 powers?

Comment

Number one, perhaps "powers" might not be the best word choice. Maybe "full budget, large state schools" (ACU excepted) might be the better descriptor. I admittedly don't keep up a whole lot with the LSC living in Arkansas, but I believe that Commerce won a national championship fairly recently in D2. ACU and Tarleton have had success. I believe North Alabama was quite good in D2, as well as Troy, etc. As schools exceed 10,000 undergraduate enrollment, they begin to have the $ funds to toy with the idea of moving to FCS and Division 1 in the other sports. I have no idea the enrollments of the various LSC state schools, but I'm guessing a lot of them are 10,000 and up.

Not trying to pick an argument here. I may be way off base. I don't see any particular advantages to Division 2 ball from a business standpoint, and I suspect a lot of these schools feel the same or they wouldn't have moved or begun the process of moving. No offense intended.
      Last edited by Herb Street; 10-03-2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
        Number one, perhaps "powers" might not be the best word choice. Maybe "full budget, large state schools" (ACU excepted) might be the better descriptor. I admittedly don't keep up a whole lot with the LSC living in Arkansas, but I believe that Commerce won a national championship fairly recently in D2. ACU and Tarleton have had success. I believe North Alabama was quite good in D2, as well as Troy, etc. As schools exceed 10,000 undergraduate enrollment, they begin to have the $ funds to toy with the idea of moving to FCS and Division 1 in the other sports. I have no idea the enrollments of the various LSC state schools, but I'm guessing a lot of them are 10,000 and up.

Not trying to pick an argument here. I may be way off base. I don't see any particular advantages to Division 2 ball from a business standpoint, and I suspect a lot of these schools feel the same or they wouldn't have moved or begun the process of moving. No offense intended.
        No offense was taken. I am not D2. I'm just someone that covers it. Your descriptors helped clear things up.

UNA's enrollment was in the 7,000's when they made the transition.

If I were to criticize your reasoning, it would be your understanding of Division III, actually. There are a lot of "scholarships" granted to Division III athletes, but they're not considered athletic scholarships. It is a way to entice students to go to those schools. It's no different than any level except the budgets are smaller than the FBS.

To apply the same logic you have used, there is no benefit to expenses below the P5.

The truth is that each school makes a cost benefit analysis in terms of student recruitment, visibility, campus culture. They're not run like businesses, although I think that might change at all levels.

Getting guarantees from FBS schools doesn't pay for reclassification. Hopefully the schools that reclassify have business partners and donors with deep pockets. The good thing for schools like Commerce is that the budgets in the SLC are not large.

Some random budgets. The "scholarships" are not included in the DIII budgets, but are in the others.

Hardin Simmons - $3,233,052
        Mary Hardin Baylor - $5,039,757
        Wisconsin-Whitewater - $4,594, 675
        Mount Union - $3,754,888

A&M-Commerce - $11,755,537
        West Florida - $11,193,566
        Grand Valley - $15,257,563
        Angelo State - $8,615,187

James Madison - $48,062,926
        Nicholls State - $10,438,587
        Sam Houston - $20,010,161
        Stephen F. Austin - $18,175,572

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

No offense was taken. I am not D2. I'm just someone that covers it. Your descriptors helped clear things up.

UNA's enrollment was in the 7,000's when they made the transition.

If I were to criticize your reasoning, it would be your understanding of Division III, actually. There are a lot of "scholarships" granted to Division III athletes, but they're not considered athletic scholarships. It is a way to entice students to go to those schools. It's no different than any level except the budgets are smaller than the FBS.

To apply the same logic you have used, there is no benefit to expenses below the P5.

The truth is that each school makes a cost benefit analysis in terms of student recruitment, visibility, campus culture. They're not run like businesses, although I think that might change at all levels.

Getting guarantees from FBS schools doesn't pay for reclassification. Hopefully the schools that reclassify have business partners and donors with deep pockets. The good thing for schools like Commerce is that the budgets in the SLC are not large.

Some random budgets. The "scholarships" are not included in the DIII budgets, but are in the others.

Hardin Simmons - $3,233,052
          Mary Hardin Baylor - $5,039,757
          Wisconsin-Whitewater - $4,594, 675
          Mount Union - $3,754,888

A&M-Commerce - $11,755,537
          West Florida - $11,193,566
          Grand Valley - $15,257,563
          Angelo State - $8,615,187

James Madison - $48,062,926
          Nicholls State - $10,438,587
          Sam Houston - $20,010,161
          Stephen F. Austin - $18,175,572

Comment

Basically, yes. DIII schools can't offer athletic scholarships, but there's no rule prohibiting them from offering academic scholarships to athletes. Tuition to DIII schools is often far more expensive than even FBS schools, so it's a way to subsidize education for those players.

Comment

So in other words if you want to make the jump to FCS and be competitive you will need boosters with really deep pockets. This is the reason I don't see West Florida making the jump any time soon. I don't believe they have the necessary private funding to allow them to be competitive in all sports and I can't see them being satisfied with simply being D1. It seems to me that a school has to have some folks who really want to make the jump and are willing to foot the bill and that just doesn't seem to be the case at UWF.

Comment

Comment

That's especially true sub-P5.

Comment

Maybe but UWF students already pay more per credit hour for athletics than any other State University in Florida.

Comment

Comment

And by big donor you mean huge! That's a multimillion dollar per year donation.....$5M, $8M, $10M PER YEAR.

Comment

Yikes - I don't like nickeling and diming the general student body for facilities and services they aren't entitled to use.

Fees and "extras" are partly why the cost of college has skyrocketed so much.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Heard expansion for the LSC in football only.The LSC and the rest of the GNAC schools are almost finalized for Central Washington,Western Oregon and Simon Frazier to join the LSC in football only.Should hear an official announcement in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X