Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pleased with the merger in that the GNAC schools can play in a real league without round robin.

Yes, lots of expensive travel but I'm glad a league was formed and the Lone Star Conference has been very good to the Great Northwest Athletic Conference schools.

WOU we'll have to up its game significantly, in my opinion. There's no shortage of talent from the Texas schools. Western Oregon will have to simply get more scholarships and do a better job of fundraising, which I've said ad nauseam over the years.

Nevertheless, I'm very excited about this merger and competing in a real, fully formed league.

Comment

It will be interesting if the merger helps the former GNAC football schools in recruiting. It might open up some doors in TX.

Comment

I'm enthusiastic for the GNAC and LSC merger. I thought GNAC football was going to die after Azusa Pacific and Humboldt State closed their programs.

??????
        Last edited by crixus; 12-08-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Wanted to let you all know the final season recaps are ready to go. I split it up into two parts since keeping it as one article made it a bit clunky and too long.

Part 1 comes tomorrow morning and recaps the 2021 season. Part 2 comes Wednesday morning and looks ahead to 2022, including all the conference changes.

Comment

Just read it and marvel at the amount of detail and content you have. We all appreciate it, cwfenn!

Comment

https://www.d2football.com/independe...-recap-part-1/

You weren't kidding about Linfield. They pretty much curb-stomped everyone in the regular season. Closest game was 31 points.

Comment

Part 2 is now up:

https://www.d2football.com/independents-season-recap-part-2/

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                  That was a good article. And thank you for covering our little conference. It was nice to have an outside voice talking about the teams and actually spending the time to learn about them. I hope you do decide to venture over to the LSC and write about the conference next season, because I've enjoyed reading your posts this season.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
                    To that end, I hope I held up my end of the deal and gave the teams in this column the proper coverage.

You did. Thanks for all of your work!

Comment

This is from the CWU Athletics Newsletter and the AD Dennis Francois.

th straight GNAC Championship and an NCAA playoff appearance. Coach Mario Andaya and the Wildcat Volleyball program would not be outdone, as he and his staff took one of the most youthful teams in recent history, finished 2nd in the GNAC standings, and qualified for its 9th straight NCAA post-season appearance.

As athletic director, I take great pride in the success of our student-athletes in competition. Therefore, the announcement of our football program joining the Lone Star Conference greatly assists in our efforts to provide our student-athletes with the opportunity for success. CWU, along with fellow GNAC members Western Oregon University and Simon Fraser University, became affiliate members of the LSC, thereby creating a 10-team conference and a 9-game conference schedule.

As NCAA Division 2 football programs west of the Rocky Mountains dwindled to three with the loss of Humboldt State and Azusa Pacific in the last 4 years, it was imperative that we found a solution to our scheduling challenges. This move solves not only our annual scheduling dilemma, but also greatly enhances our strength of schedule, eliminates duplicate games where we play the same opponent twice in a season, guarantees us 4 and 5 home conference games in alternating years, and still allows us an opportunity to schedule an FCS/Division One game and an additional non-conference game within the 11-game, regular-season limit. Moreover, joining the LSC provides us with the opportunity for earned access to the playoffs (a process that is similar to an automatic qualifier) for being part of a conference with 6 or more member institutions.

In addition to solving our scheduling challenges, we anticipate the move to greatly enhance our recruitment and retention of the brightest and best student-athletes to CWU, raise the level of football in the Pacific Northwest, increase brand awareness in previously untapped markets, and improve our ability to attract and retain coaches who also desire conference stability when looking at their opportunity to be successful as coaches. These conference affiliation benefits, along with the pending renovation of Nicholson Pavilion, will further enhance the football student-athlete experience at Central Washington University and the pride that you have as CWU fans, donors, and alumni in being associated with Wildcat Athletics.
                      So yeah, the FCS game will still happen, it sounds like.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
                        This is from the CWU Athletics Newsletter and the AD Dennis Francois.

So yeah, the FCS game will still happen, it sounds like.
                        It is too bad that most of the FCS teams we can play are top tier ones. Even PSU is tough. The Big Sky has a lot of good teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

It is too bad that most of the FCS teams we can play are top tier ones. Even PSU is tough. The Big Sky has a lot of good teams.
                          Idaho State isn't that far away! Plus, the good programs have money to spend getting CWU there.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

That was a good article. And thank you for covering our little conference. It was nice to have an outside voice talking about the teams and actually spending the time to learn about them. I hope you do decide to venture over to the LSC and write about the conference next season, because I've enjoyed reading your posts this season.
                            I agree. Thanks Craig.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I agree. Thanks Craig.
                              Thank you, appreciate it.

I will see about next season, I know the guy who is (was?) the LSC columnist is still active on the forum, but I'll do it if enough people want it and the previous guy doesn't want to do it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X