Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Buffalo Bowl, aka Kimbrough, now known as Happy State Bank Stadium is 2.8 miles from the (BS)2. So they spent about $13.5 million a mile for the new one.

I believe CISD runs all the schools in Randall county, even though they may be in Amarillo.
    Hmmm. I believe Caprock High School is in Randall County.

Just weird how Randall and West Plains are in the CISD school systems within Amarillo city limits with the parent high school 15 miles away in south Canyon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Hmmm. I believe Caprock High School is in Randall County.

Just weird how Randall and West Plains are in the CISD school systems within Amarillo city limits with the parent high school 15 miles away in south Canyon.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprock_High_School

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyon...chool_District

Comment

• Oh my friend you made the rookie mistake of referencing wikipedia as a credible source. Caprock is barely in Randall county by single block.

I am curious if Caprock was in Potter county at one time and may have redrawn the county lines at some point.

After further review the call on the field stands. ;)

Also Amarillo High is in Randall County.

High Schools located in Randall County, TX (high-schools.com)

Map of Potter County Texas (hometownlocator.com)

Caprock High School, Other School at Amarillo, Texas (schoolmap.org)

Caprock High School - Amarillo, TX - High School, Campus Building | Facebook
        Last edited by Buffalo/Islander Alum; 05-25-2022, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

And the Tarleton administration refused to renew their agreement for Stephenville ISD to use their stadium with this year being the last year the high school could use it. As a result, the ISD purposed at $75 million dollar bond for athletic facilities with $50 million for a new stadium and it went down in flames a few weeks ago. So they might have a problem in 2023. Either that or Stephenville High will have to become a Thursday night lights team for home game if Tarleton will allow them some time because future conference considerations will not allow games to be played in their facility up to 24 hours before a Saturday kickoff.
          Proposition A: New District Football/Soccer Stadium - $50 Million
          New District Football/Soccer Stadium
          • Football and soccer competition turf field
          • Seating for 8,000 (approximately 5,500 home side with some chair back, and 2,500 visitor)
          • Press box, lighting, scoreboard, and AV equipment
          • Home and visitor locker rooms/halftime facilities
          • Home and visitor restrooms and concessions
          • Parking
          • To be constructed on land already owned by the district at the corner of Frey Street and Wolfe Nursery Road
          • Suitable for hosting playoff games, tournament play, band, dance, ROTC competitions
          • Support school and community events and activities
          Proposition B: New Multi-Purpose Indoor Facility, Tennis Complex and Baseball Stands and Press Box - $25 Million
          New Multi-Purpose Indoor Facility
          • To be located at SHS
          • Includes indoor turf field and drop-down nets for baseball/softball practice
          • To be scheduled by student programs on a regular basis and as a safe alternative during inclement weather
          • To serve as additional practice and rehearsal space for student programs, including: Football, Track, Baseball/Softball, Soccer, Band, Dance, Cheer, Summer Strength and Conditioning Programs
          New Tennis Complex
          • To be located at SHS and serve growing tennis program
          • Currently do not have tennis courts and use the city's courts requiring transportation across town and limiting access for student athletes
          • Includes 8 courts, bleachers, lighting and fencing with windscreen
          • Will allow for hosting of tournaments
          Baseball Stadium Improvements
          • New stands and press box at existing SHS baseball stadium

Comment

Oh my friend you made the rookie mistake of referencing wikipedia as a credible source. Caprock is barely in Randall county by single block.

I am curious if Caprock was in Potter county at one time and may have redrawn the county lines at some point.

After further review the call on the field stands. ;)

Also Amarillo High is in Randall County.

High Schools located in Randall County, TX (high-schools.com)

Map of Potter County Texas (hometownlocator.com)

Caprock High School, Other School at Amarillo, Texas (schoolmap.org)

Caprock High School - Amarillo, TX - High School, Campus Building | Facebook

Amarillo High was originally in Potter county. Maybe they grandfathered it in to help ease the transition to the new location.

Comment

• Originally posted by TarletonStateTexan View Post
              Proposition A: New District Football/Soccer Stadium - $50 Million
              New District Football/Soccer Stadium
              • Football and soccer competition turf field
              • Seating for 8,000 (approximately 5,500 home side with some chair back, and 2,500 visitor)
              • Press box, lighting, scoreboard, and AV equipment
              • Home and visitor locker rooms/halftime facilities
              • Home and visitor restrooms and concessions
              • Parking
              • To be constructed on land already owned by the district at the corner of Frey Street and Wolfe Nursery Road
              • Suitable for hosting playoff games, tournament play, band, dance, ROTC competitions
              • Support school and community events and activities
              Proposition B: New Multi-Purpose Indoor Facility, Tennis Complex and Baseball Stands and Press Box - $25 Million
              New Multi-Purpose Indoor Facility
              • To be located at SHS
              • Includes indoor turf field and drop-down nets for baseball/softball practice
              • To be scheduled by student programs on a regular basis and as a safe alternative during inclement weather
              • To serve as additional practice and rehearsal space for student programs, including: Football, Track, Baseball/Softball, Soccer, Band, Dance, Cheer, Summer Strength and Conditioning Programs
              New Tennis Complex
              • To be located at SHS and serve growing tennis program
              • Currently do not have tennis courts and use the city's courts requiring transportation across town and limiting access for student athletes
              • Includes 8 courts, bleachers, lighting and fencing with windscreen
              • Will allow for hosting of tournaments
              Baseball Stadium Improvements
              • New stands and press box at existing SHS baseball stadium
              Thanks for the clarification on the date. I had read a second hand account the time line was much shorter, but they were not on the ground like you are in Stephenville. None the less you are correct a scaled down stadium is what you need and quite frankly a correction is needed in the desire for every ISD who has a power football program to want to out do the next one and so on. You can still build nice facilities, but let's dump some of the extras that are going into these stadiums like NFL/College style suites. Really?

Your ISD wasn't the only one that voted down bonds for both athletics and/or academic facilities. Klein ISD in the Houston area wanted to build the next showcase stadium and arena and their voters said NO. Medina Valley in the San Antonio area is one of the fastest growing ISD in the state projected to go from a little over 4k in total enrollment to 10k by 2030 and they voted down a $400 million bond for second high school, new stadium and elementary schools.

And you are correct in some locales, the property valuation notices drove some of that rejection. My ISD was close to putting a bond on the May ballot , but decided to wait until 2023 and I'm guessing it would have either failed or been a very close win if had gone to the ballot based on the chatter even from folks who have been supportive of bonds in the past. I mean the property valuations are out of control crazy down here too. And to top this off because of our proximity to the coast, insurance rates are going crazy too. Some of my clients saw 50% increases in their homeowners premiums and the goal has been to bring that back down to somewhere around 10 to 20% and it's been a hard task because you don't want to sacrifice coverage . But every company has or will be raising their rates to account for higher rebuild costs due to the hyper inflation cycle were are in and payback for the billions paid out due to weather loses not just here in Texas, but in other states too. Those two things will add hundreds of dollars each month to ones mortgage and escrow payments and whatever savings was achieved due refinancing over the last couple of years will be close to being gone because of this. The downside is this was probably going to be the last shot in awhile to get bonds in place at the historically lower rates as those are going to creep up as they follow the flow in that market. Voters/property owners/taxpayers just don't want to hear someone even with the best of intentions telling them it's only going to cost you and extra $10 a month on your tax bill when right now it's costing us and extra $30 or more every time we fill up our gas tanks. Yea, that extra $10 a month will barley now get you a Whataburger meal with cheese, fries and drink.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification on the date. I had read a second hand account the time line was much shorter, but they were not on the ground like you are in Stephenville. None the less you are correct a scaled down stadium is what you need and quite frankly a correction is needed in the desire for every ISD who has a power football program to want to out do the next one and so on. You can still build nice facilities, but let's dump some of the extras that are going into these stadiums like NFL/College style suites. Really?

Your ISD wasn't the only one that voted down bonds for both athletics and/or academic facilities. Klein ISD in the Houston area wanted to build the next showcase stadium and arena and their voters said NO. Medina Valley in the San Antonio area is one of the fastest growing ISD in the state projected to go from a little over 4k in total enrollment to 10k by 2030 and they voted down a $400 million bond for second high school, new stadium and elementary schools.

And you are correct in some locales, the property valuation notices drove some of that rejection. My ISD was close to putting a bond on the May ballot , but decided to wait until 2023 and I'm guessing it would have either failed or been a very close win if had gone to the ballot based on the chatter even from folks who have been supportive of bonds in the past. I mean the property valuations are out of control crazy down here too. And to top this off because of our proximity to the coast, insurance rates are going crazy too. Some of my clients saw 50% increases in their homeowners premiums and the goal has been to bring that back down to somewhere around 10 to 20% and it's been a hard task because you don't want to sacrifice coverage . But every company has or will be raising their rates to account for higher rebuild costs due to the hyper inflation cycle were are in and payback for the billions paid out due to weather loses not just here in Texas, but in other states too. Those two things will add hundreds of dollars each month to ones mortgage and escrow payments and whatever savings was achieved due refinancing over the last couple of years will be close to being gone because of this. The downside is this was probably going to be the last shot in awhile to get bonds in place at the historically lower rates as those are going to creep up as they follow the flow in that market. Voters/property owners/taxpayers just don't want to hear someone even with the best of intentions telling them it's only going to cost you and extra $10 a month on your tax bill when right now it's costing us and extra $30 or more every time we fill up our gas tanks. Yea, that extra $10 a month will barley now get you a Whataburger meal with cheese, fries and drink.
                Remember, money is no object - as long as it isn't your money. WT's stadium was voted on by less than 20% of the student body and passed by less than 100 votes. You would think that more students would have voted if they were really crying themselves to sleep because they had no on-campus stadium.

You must be eating single Whataburgers. Yes, we are heading the same way as Venezuela. Build Back Bankrupt. It's even worse in Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Remember, money is no object - as long as it isn't your money. WT's stadium was voted on by less than 20% of the student body and passed by less than 100 votes. You would think that more students would have voted if they were really crying themselves to sleep because they had no on-campus stadium.

You must be eating single Whataburgers. Yes, we are heading the same way as Venezuela. Build Back Bankrupt. It's even worse in Canada.
                  I'm a bit curious and and not sure if you know. When CWU had a vote to add a fee to keep wrestling and swimming (since cut) I saw information about the vote all over campus along with the school paper. The vote also included that without the fee, students would have to pay extra for use of the weight rooms on campus as which is likely why it passed and granted access to facilities you had to pay extra for under an Exercise Fee, which is likely why $15 added to tuition passed. Did WT do anything like this for the vote in promoting it?

Comment

Or here is a novel idea. Break the bond up into several asks instead of one lump sum. Kind of like our bills in government that have riders.

Yeah I think very few school districts passed any type of bonds during the inflation crisis and the board has come out in several districts that they were shocked that the "peasants" dared to vote down those much needed scoreboard, track, tennis court, etc. updates. They are probably needed but more interested in classroom type enhancements at this point.

Of course now the thing to do in some social media sites is lecture the "no" voters on their ignorance on voting down the bonds because they had security updates included in them and that will lead to the next mass school shooting since they cant afford to hire extra security police.

Comment

Or here is a novel idea. Break the bond up into several asks instead of one lump sum. Kind of like our bills in government that have riders.

Yeah I think very few school districts passed any type of bonds during the inflation crisis and the board has come out in several districts that they were shocked that the "peasants" dared to vote down those much needed scoreboard, track, tennis court, etc. updates. They are probably needed but more interested in classroom type enhancements at this point.

Of course now the thing to do in some social media sites is lecture the "no" voters on their ignorance on voting down the bonds because they had security updates included in them and that will lead to the next mass school shooting since they cant afford to hire extra security police.
                      A number of these bonds that failed or had a split decision a few weeks ago were set up exactly like this. In fact they are all supposed to be set up with a split with academic on one ballot and athletics on another. I studied a few this election cycle due the fact I'm thinking about running for a vacant seat on our school board come November and I know the topic will come up because we need to either "flip" our high school or start from scratch and we do have a few athletics facility needs too. The State Legislature passed a law last session which directed ISD's to do this in part thanks to the stadium race in DFW and Houston 'burbs.

What I saw with some of the results was a few ISD's found loopholes to put everything on one ballot. Boerne ISD got their bond passed and they are building a district wide Aquatics Center , but they worded it "Aquatic Education Center" and I guess if they give swim lessons and Red Cross lifeguard training, that passes for education. But they are going to use it for UIL swimming too. Also if you are renovating an existing facility and not expanding capacity like at a football stadium, you can get that on to one ballot with the education stuff. Hallandale ISD and Boerne ISD both did this for their fieldhouse and stadiums. Or if you are building an entire new high school or middle school, the athletic facilities can be part of that specific language which would give the ISD a blank check to build whatever facility they chose with the bells and whistles. Colleges are doing the same thing where you can't use state money for an athletic facility, but if you call it a health education facility you can get the state to chip in for it kind of like the Dugan center on the A&M CC Campus which they use for volleyball and an occasional Islanded basketball game.

My bet is we will have another election cycle where more of these get voted down in some of the same areas in the above mentioned 'burbs where the more powerful legislators live will tweak the language if they start getting blowback or pleas to allow the ISD's to go back to the former.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I'm a bit curious and and not sure if you know. When CWU had a vote to add a fee to keep wrestling and swimming (since cut) I saw information about the vote all over campus along with the school paper. The vote also included that without the fee, students would have to pay extra for use of the weight rooms on campus as which is likely why it passed and granted access to facilities you had to pay extra for under an Exercise Fee, which is likely why $15 added to tuition passed. Did WT do anything like this for the vote in promoting it?
                        Not to my knowledge. They did make a bit deal about all the cool things the stadium could be used for (that somehow the old one couldn't because of the 5 minute drive). They were going to do graduations at the new stadium, have concerts and midnight pep rallies. It would bring more alumni on campus because evidently the alumni didn't want to drive 5 extra minutes. Except that graduation this month was split into 3 ceremonies and held at the basketball arena, and I have heard of no reports of any concerts or midnight pep rallies. For me personally, I haven't been anywhere near the campus since the last football game at the old stadium.

By the way, the new stadium added $300 per year to student fees. They also fired the cheerleaders and the buffalo mascot is no longer allowed on the field.
                        Last edited by WT_TKW; 05-26-2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Honestly I think Mothership has taken their eyes of the ball regarding other system schools not named Tarleton as well. When I say this, I think the mothership has finally gone all in on making Tarleton the compliment for the College Station campus much like UT years ago decided to go all in with UTSA and UT-Arlington as their campuses where they would encourage non admits to the mothership to attend and hoped they stayed in order to relieve pressure on the mothership campus. Collie Station might be getting to that point now.

You are not alone with uninspiring leadership and the need for change. TAMUK will be getting a new President here soon and I'm crossing my fingers and toes he/she has some passion for the football program which even half would be more noticeable than the now departed President. I see what Midwestern in proposing and now their is whole bunch of new high school football stadiums coming on board even at the 4A/5A level that put our to shame and i further shake my head about our needs and why they can't and won't be addressed.

Comment

• Don't forget Tarleton's basketball program, they want to be a national power there too and got a pretty good coach too in Billy Gillispie who won co-SEC coach of the year with Bruce Pearl while at Kentucky.

Comment

• Comment

Honestly I think Mothership has taken their eyes of the ball regarding other system schools not named Tarleton as well. When I say this, I think the mothership has finally gone all in on making Tarleton the compliment for the College Station campus much like UT years ago decided to go all in with UTSA and UT-Arlington as their campuses where they would encourage non admits to the mothership to attend and hoped they stayed in order to relieve pressure on the mothership campus. Collie Station might be getting to that point now.

You are not alone with uninspiring leadership and the need for change. TAMUK will be getting a new President here soon and I'm crossing my fingers and toes he/she has some passion for the football program which even half would be more noticeable than the now departed President. I see what Midwestern in proposing and now their is whole bunch of new high school football stadiums coming on board even at the 4A/5A level that put our to shame and i further shake my head about our needs and why they can't and won't be addressed.
                                And more $$$ being spent at Tarleton. Apparently Track will no longer be part of the stadium because they are building a new Track / practice field for the Texans.

https://tarletonsports.com/news/2022...g-surface.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X