Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Then, you have Frisco ISD, which is slated to open their 12th high school (FISD had one high school until 2002), Panther Creek. Frisco Panther Creek will compete in 4A-1 District 7 (along with "Carrollton" Ranchview*, Celina and four Dallas ISD schools - Carter, Hutchins, North Dallas and Pinkston); the other FISD schools are all 5A - which apparently is by design per the FISD school board - 5A-1 District 6 features Frisco, Centennial, Heritage, Lebanon Trail, Lone Star, Reedy and Wakeland along with Sherman; 5A-2 District 3 features Frisco Emerson (which opened last season), Independence and Memorial in the same district as perennial State contender Argyle (which will move up from 4A next season), Carrollton Creekview**, Denton and Lake Dallas. Frisco ISD might be the North Texas equivalent to Katy ISD in that regard (except that all Katy ISD schools are 6A).

* - Despite being referred to as "Carrollton Ranchview High School" as part of the Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD, Carrollton Ranchview is actually within Irving city limits and also covers portions of Coppell and Irving (specifically Las Colinas and Valley Ranch in the northern part of the city) in addition to the namesake city of Farmers Branch (west of 35E). Oddly enough, parts of Northwestern Irving are actually zoned to Coppell ISD. (Trying to explain Texas ISD boundaries to an non-Texas is a massive beating - see "Richardson Lake Highlands" being part of Richardson ISD but within Dallas city limits.)
    ** - Carrollton Creekview is actually located within Carrollton city limits, but on the Denton County side of Carrollton (aka "North Carrollton"), despite other parts of "North Carrollton" being zoned to Lewisville Hebron - yes, as in the Lewisville ISD, which is another rabbit hole that I don't feel like going down at the moment - which is located within Carrollton city limits on the Denton County side.

Also, as a point of reference, Plano ISD high schools house juniors and seniors and are designated as "senior high schools" while freshmen and sophomores attend one of two "high schools" which feed into the senior high schools. You basically have three 9-12 high schools which are spread technically speaking out among nine campuses.

Speaking of Lewisville ISD (okay, I lied about not going down that rabbit hole, but I'm on a roll right now), Lewisville High School's juniors and seniors are housed at the Main Street campus, while freshmen and sophomores are housed at one of two "ninth grade centers" - Killough (north side of Lewisville) or Harmon (south side of Lewisville). Hebron, Flower Mound and Marcus High Schools have freshman centers on campus with their respective main high schools, while The Colony High School (the lone 5A school in LISD) houses grades 9-12 in a single building.
    Frisco ISD got the formula correct, IMO. If you want to have a school with a well rounded athletic program in a growing suburban area, keeping them at 5A level is the way to do it. This way your not too big where you have to field four or more Freshmen/JV squads and thus lose faces in a crowd. Also and more importantly it helps on the academic side of the coin too. I think one of the growing ISD's (Comal) which takes in a ton of territory from North San Antonio to just south of Blanco and west out towards Boerne and good chunk of New Braunfels is adopting the Frisco model with their high schools. They've added three in the last five years to relieve the enrollment of what was two medium sized 6A's which are now down to 5A. The other three have been in 4A, but that won't last long. I think they have long range plans that include up to five or more high schools potentially in the next decade or so..
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 04-14-2022, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Frisco ISD got the formula correct, IMO. If you want to have a school with a well rounded athletic program in a growing suburban area, keeping them at 5A level is the way to do it. This way your not too big where you have to field four or more Freshmen/JV squads and thus lose faces in a crowd. Also and more importantly it helps on the academic side of the coin too. I think one of the growing ISD's (Comal) which takes in a ton of territory from North San Antonio to just south of Blanco and west out towards Boerne and good chunk of New Braunfels is adopting the Frisco model with their high schools. They've added three in the last five years to relieve the enrollment of what was two medium sized 6A's which are now down to 5A. The other three have been in 4A, but that won't last long. I think they have long range plans that include up to five or more high schools potentially in the next decade or so..
      ISD's in San Antonio and Bexar County are a confusing jumble to me, especially with multiple ISD's within San Antonio city limits. But, I'd agree that Frisco has the right strategy compared to Plano and Allen.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

To the absolute contrary. I can only speak for Allen Universities model. It is BECAUSE they have 4 teams that a player does not get missed. FYI, several players along the years left FISD to come to Allen because they were "back ups" on FISD freshman team. They got noticed at Allen University because they had an opportunity to start on a JV team. Then went on to a great football career.

This scenario has repeated itself over and over and over at Allen.

In their football program NO ONE cared about W's until you hit Varsity. From Middle School to JV it's about player development and reps. Win or lose, players are on a rotation regardless of score. It can be frustrating when parents and such want to WIN WIN WIN. But it is this very model that makes the varsity a competitive team. And sooooo many players get to move on to play college ball. I know a "3rd string" receiver who played college ball and won 2 natty's.

Plus....Allen University can offer what majority of other High Schools can not, a vast array of options from health sciences(medical & lab), agriculture, and engineering to culinary arts and television broadcasting, etc. Their student opportunities are endless. No one is left out. There is something for EVERYONE.

Instead of putting money in to cookie cut other HS's campuses, whereby just duplicating the same thing over and over, they instead build new facilities to grant better offerings and specialties. The STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathmatics) Learning campus is DYNAMIC. Absolute top of the line. https://www.allenisd.org/site/defaul...1&PageID=54990

I moved from Allen 3 years ago. Now I live in a more rural area that is nice and quiet. But honestly, I sure miss the days when my kids were at Allen HS. 3 of my 4 graduated from Allen. My oldest from Plano. I do miss all the conveniences and the "mindset" of the people.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

To the absolute contrary. I can only speak for Allen Universities model. It is BECAUSE they have 4 teams that a player does not get missed. FYI, several players along the years left FISD to come to Allen because they were "back ups" on FISD freshman team. They got noticed at Allen University because they had an opportunity to start on a JV team. Then went on to a great football career.

This scenario has repeated itself over and over and over at Allen.

In their football program NO ONE cared about W's until you hit Varsity. From Middle School to JV it's about player development and reps. Win or lose, players are on a rotation regardless of score. It can be frustrating when parents and such want to WIN WIN WIN. But it is this very model that makes the varsity a competitive team. And sooooo many players get to move on to play college ball. I know a "3rd string" receiver who played college ball and won 2 natty's.

Plus....Allen University can offer what majority of other High Schools can not, a vast array of options from health sciences(medical & lab), agriculture, and engineering to culinary arts and television broadcasting, etc. Their student opportunities are endless. No one is left out. There is something for EVERYONE.

Instead of putting money in to cookie cut other HS's campuses, whereby just duplicating the same thing over and over, they instead build new facilities to grant better offerings and specialties. The STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathmatics) Learning campus is DYNAMIC. Absolute top of the line. https://www.allenisd.org/site/defaul...1&PageID=54990

I moved from Allen 3 years ago. Now I live in a more rural area that is nice and quiet. But honestly, I sure miss the days when my kids were at Allen HS. 3 of my 4 graduated from Allen. My oldest from Plano. I do miss all the conveniences and the "mindset" of the people.

Please share!

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

ISD's in San Antonio and Bexar County are a confusing jumble to me, especially with multiple ISD's within San Antonio city limits. But, I'd agree that Frisco has the right strategy compared to Plano and Allen.
            Yea they can get kind of confusing up there. But basically if you take the north part of Loop 410 where it intersects with 1-10 on the east and then on the west side, anything north of that which includes the Northside ISD, Comal ISD and Boerne ISD are the high growth districts in SA. With the later two being some of the higher growth in the state.

Comment

Please share!
              Hahaha....."Please share".....hahaha

What's funny is I AM the cookie monster, so H3LL YES I want a cookie!!!

Comment

Yea they can get kind of confusing up there. But basically if you take the north part of Loop 410 where it intersects with 1-10 on the east and then on the west side, anything north of that which includes the Northside ISD, Comal ISD and Boerne ISD are the high growth districts in SA. With the later two being some of the higher growth in the state.
                Is Boerne a good town/city to live? One of the places recommended to me.

Comment

Is Boerne a good town/city to live? One of the places recommended to me.

Comment

My son started a new career and has been commuting to SA from Austin. But now they are moving to SA area. He wants me to move down there. He & my daughter-in-law suggested Boerne.

I had never heard of it. Planning on taking a trip there very soon to check it out.

Thank you so much for the info!

Comment

My son started a new career and has been commuting to SA from Austin. But now they are moving to SA area. He wants me to move down there. He & my daughter-in-law suggested Boerne.

I had never heard of it. Planning on taking a trip there very soon to check it out.

Yikes. I would rather attend a football game wearing a kingsville helmet and an ASU jersey before I ever commute on I-35 again between Austin and San Antonio.

Comment

Last edited by LSC Fan; 04-15-2022, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yikes. I would rather attend a football game wearing a kingsville helmet and an ASU jersey before I ever commute on I-35 again between Austin and San Antonio.
                          You are easy to spot anyway with that Islander skirt and pom poms.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Hahaha

Comment

Who knows we might be neighbors one day! God help that town. Lol!
                              That would be awesome.

Comment

As soon as I rack up the last 3 step Houston locality pay I will probably join you both in about 10 years or so. However if Texas turns blue with the higher taxes that come with it then Tennessee is looking like a great option. They are what Texas was 20 years ago with no state income tax and cheaper property taxes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X