Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes has to go

As a proud alum and supporter of WT, I am absolutely embarrassed at the state of our football program. Hughes has had 7 years to develop his program and roster to win games and there has been an immense amount of booster support with the stadium and facility upgrades. He has no excuses now. It’s time to move on.

Yes. He has to go now . All the other sports are winners and there is no reason for football to be any different. With one of the best, if not best, stadium in D2 and with the kind of support most other D2 schools can only envy, there is no excuse for football to be so bad. Hughes should see this himself and move on voluntarily.

Comment

I would place money that Hughes can't be fired. He's quite a handy trojan horse for the WT admin that can quickly accomplish their goals of torpedoing the program. WT sports are in jeopardy.
      Last edited by Herb Street; 11-14-2022, 11:45 AM.

Comment

After losing to ENMU and collapsing into free fall (it appeared that his players flat out just quit on him) against 0-8 Simon Fraser, and having 7 years to develop a playoff program and failing at that, Coach Hughes should do the right thing........and resign. Move on. Failing that, he should be fired. I don't see how our AD could conclude otherwise.

Comment

Having been around some of the coaching staff and players, they mentioned this was the most talented team they have had there in years…..All to go 5-6 and lose to REALLY bad teams. That’s all on coaching and motivating!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffAlum99 View Post
            Having been around some of the coaching staff and players, they mentioned this was the most talented team they have had there in years…..All to go 5-6 and lose to REALLY bad teams. That’s all on coaching and motivating!
            Like I said elsewhere, if a new coach comes in and secures the trust of the players on the roster, there is a good base of young talent to work with at WT.

Comment

With the facilities and booster backing that WT has, would have to think that it would be considered a premier D2 job in the country. There would be a lot of big time coaches that would be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffAlum99 View Post
                With the facilities and booster backing that WT has, would have to think that it would be considered a premier D2 job in the country. There would be a lot of big time coaches that would be interested.
                If it’s true that WT doesn’t offer anything other than one-year deals, it’s not going to attract the best. What kind of security is that?? That’s how you get a guy like Nesbitt/Hughes to begin with.

Comment

Am I wrong to think that if WT was going to let Hughes go, they would have by now?
                  Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

If it’s true that WT doesn’t offer anything other than one-year deals, it’s not going to attract the best. What kind of security is that?? That’s how you get a guy like Nesbitt/Hughes to begin with.
                    When he was hired, Hughes, at least on paper, looked like a great hire. He was coming off a National Championship run at CSU-Pueblo as the DC of the most dominating defense in the country. I'm not sure there were a lot of other applicants that had the credentials that Hughes had.

The fact that it did not turn out the way WT hoped does not mean it was a bad hire, at least looking at it from the outside. Every hire is a bit of a crap shoot unless you have someone that has significant experience and it is a lateral move, which are few and far between.

What has exacerbated this situation is that WT has been unable (due to COVID years) or unwilling (for whatever reason) to pull the trigger and admit that it was a bad hire. That is what WT is guilty of in this case, not the initial hire.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

When he was hired, Hughes, at least on paper, looked like a great hire. He was coming off a National Championship run at CSU-Pueblo as the DC of the most dominating defense in the country. I'm not sure there were a lot of other applicants that had the credentials that Hughes had.

The fact that it did not turn out the way WT hoped does not mean it was a bad hire, at least looking at it from the outside. Every hire is a bit of a crap shoot unless you have someone that has significant experience and it is a lateral move, which are few and far between.

What has exacerbated this situation is that WT has been unable (due to COVID years) or unwilling (for whatever reason) to pull the trigger and admit that it was a bad hire. That is what WT is guilty of in this case, not the initial hire.
                      I thought he did a decent job in 2000, but not since. He should have been fired last year. We need a better AD who cares about football.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
                        Am I wrong to think that if WT was going to let Hughes go, they would have by now?
                        I was thinking the same thing but then looked back at old stories and Nesbitt was fired the Friday following the last Saturday game. So I still have hope.

The problem was coaching and motivating the players this year and every other year. Talent this year was not an issue. I personally believe Hughes handcuffed his coordinators, especially on offense to do things his way. Martin had a proven track record of many years of success before WT so it only makes sense. Hughes may be a great guy but it's apparent he is stubborn as hell and does not adjust his philosophy and in game approach. They kept slamming their heads into a wall this season just hoping every once in a while it would work. Both on offense and defense. This is all from my outside perspective and no inside knowledge

Comment

WT needs to learn from Sioux Falls. They just fired their 6th year head coach. Jon Anderson. In the five years he has been there they made the playoffs two of the five years and had the following records:

2017 9-3 Playoffs
                          2018 7-4
                          2019 8-4 Playoffs
                          2020 no games (COVID)
                          2021 8-3
                          2022 8-3

Not a bad record and all games are D2 because it is a silo conference. My guess is that they also do not have the resources or facilities that WT has.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
                            WT needs to learn from Sioux Falls. They just fired their 6th year head coach. Jon Anderson. In the five years he has been there they made the playoffs two of the five years and had the following records:

2017 9-3 Playoffs
                            2018 7-4
                            2019 8-4 Playoffs
                            2020 no games (COVID)
                            2021 8-3
                            2022 8-3

Not a bad record and all games are D2 because it is a silo conference. My guess is that they also do not have the resources or facilities that WT has.
                            Hughes situation looks very similar to Williamson at Missouri Western State who was just fired. And he was an ALUM!!! McBroom needs to just bite the bullet and move on. I’m sure WT can do immensely better than Hughes. It is in a far better place facility wise than when they hired him in 2017

Comment

https://youtu.be/_DYKQB1QkTo
                              Maybe Hughes isn't going anywhere.....wtf 😒

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X