Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 MSU Maverick FB

Originally posted by Quentin44 View Post
    When the Blake was built by the student intern architect who designed it (following his failing of shop class but learning what the 'Minnesota Low Bid Process' is), he said to his mom: 'Gee wilikers, I bet this will stand for 20 years!'
    Ha-ha. So now I know who the genius is that designed it, and why it has lasted so long:).
    With most of the other athletic facilities at MSU at a good to very good level, it is difficult to understand why the football stadium is allowed to be one of the very worst in the conference. Especially when considering the football program in the past decade has been quite successful overall.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
      With most of the other athletic facilities at MSU at a good to very good level, it is difficult to understand why the football stadium is allowed to be one of the very worst in the conference. Especially when considering the football program in the past decade has been quite successful overall.
      Somebody brought up that last part before, and it might not be that far off. It could be they feel there's no need to upgrade because they've got a pretty good thing going with a crappy facility. Players aren't really affected by the crappy grandstand, so it doesn't really affect recruiting much.

Comment

Something I just thought about....

Could hosting Vikings training camp have actually hindered them from making updates? It would've tightened any construction schedule, and I feel like MSU felt they couldn't do anything to lose them even on a one-time basis for construction, for fear that they'd never come back.

But now that they're not coming back (likely), maybe it'd create an opening to get something done?

Comment

Minnesota St. U. needs a wealthy benefactor to offer 10-15 million bucks to get a new stadium. Truth is Kato fields excellent teams and has healthy attendance, so why should the powers to be feel any urgency to build a new facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            Somebody brought up that last part before, and it might not be that far off. It could be they feel there's no need to upgrade because they've got a pretty good thing going with a crappy facility. Players aren't really affected by the crappy grandstand, so it doesn't really affect recruiting much.
            No doubt it is almost impossible to measure the effect of an intangible like this on recruiting players.
            And it is possible that the Vikings having training camp there for so long may have hindered renovation or new construction; at least to a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              Minnesota St. U. needs a wealthy benefactor to offer 10-15 million bucks to get a new stadium. Truth is Kato fields excellent teams and has healthy attendance, so why should the powers to be feel any urgency to build a new facility.
              A new stadium is part of the overall master plan for the outdoor athletic facilities. That was back in 2013 (IIRC) and had an estimated price tag of $31MM. I wonder if they need to downgrade a bit and look for a renovation of the Blake instead. Just throwing this out there but I would think the cost would be cheaper and more attainable. In other words, instead of going for everything at once, start with the basics and upgrade incrementally.

Comment

Its been stated several times but once I'm in my seat, there is NO other stadium in the conference that I want to WATCH a game at! Great View!!!

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
                  I wonder if they need to downgrade a bit and look for a renovation of the Blake instead. Just throwing this out there but I would think the cost would be cheaper and more attainable. In other words, instead of going for everything at once, start with the basics and upgrade incrementally.
                  In some cases, it's difficult to renovate because of a lack of space behind the grandstand. But looking at an overhead view of the stadium, it seems to me there's more than enough room.

Comment

A new stadium is part of the overall master plan for the outdoor athletic facilities. That was back in 2013 (IIRC) and had an estimated price tag of $31MM. I wonder if they need to downgrade a bit and look for a renovation of the Blake instead. Just throwing this out there but I would think the cost would be cheaper and more attainable. In other words, instead of going for everything at once, start with the basics and upgrade incrementally.
                    I'm in agreement with that. I suspect the overall structural integrity of the stadium needs to be ensured by bracing, etc. Also rails for the stairways, and a new pressbox. Those are the places to begin, and I believe necessities if the plan is to maintain and upgrade the current stadium.
                    I also agree with Fan I that it's one of the best places around to watch the game when you're there, as you're close to the field.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                      I'm in agreement with that. I suspect the overall structural integrity of the stadium needs to be ensured by bracing, etc. Also rails for the stairways, and a new pressbox. Those are the places to begin, and I believe necessities if the plan is to maintain and upgrade the current stadium.
                      I also agree with Fan I that it's one of the best places around to watch the game when you're there, as you're close to the field.
                      I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done for the current grandstands. I was thinking that they need to be razed and replaced (with the home grandstand moved back to make more room on the sidelines). And instead of the having the team rooms under the stands, maybe go with something cheaper and just focus on fan amenities (thinking of Laker) and a new press box/suite. That goes with a new field and video score board of course. I would leave the visitor's side as is and try to find more money later on.

Comment

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done for the current grandstands. I was thinking that they need to be razed and replaced (with the home grandstand moved back to make more room on the sidelines). And instead of the having the team rooms under the stands, maybe go with something cheaper and just focus on fan amenities (thinking of Laker) and a new press box/suite. That goes with a new field and video score board of course. I would leave the visitor's side as is and try to find more money later on.
                        SDSU did that in Brookings. They did one side one year, the other side the next. The stands are actually too close to the field. I'm so old I remember when they met at halftime underneath the stadium. Now they have to go across the road. Sounds like if they did build new that they would make it a true north-south stadium rather than the NW-SE angle that they have now.

I heard that they are putting up some steel trusses to make sure the stadium is safe. Cost over $350,000. I don't think I'll have time tomorrow to check it out when I go down to work the Mav FB golf tourney.

Comment

Wonder when the Mavs will update their 2018 roster and add the d1 qb transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Swisher View Post
                            There are a few people missing from this year's roster. An update would be nice!

Comment

This is the first that I've heard a word about a D1 QB transfer. Who is he and where is he from?

Comment

Swisher now a Mavs fan? Ouch...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X