Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NSIC Stadium Rankings

I have seen the transformation of UIU's field from Robertson Wood's field which was next to the baseball field - some would say on par with a high school field at the time. The picture of the before stadium below was a HUGE upgrade at the time in the early 90's. It was called Eischeid field at the time as the Eischeid family provided a donation and also lead fund raising for the new stadium. Mike Eischeid was an early 60's grad from UIU and is most famous for punting for many years for the Vikings, Raiders, Bears, and Chiefs. I believe he still holds record for punt yardarge or most punts in Super Bowl history (punting for both the Raiders and Vikings). He is a regular at games still and an icon at UIU. The after picture came in the 2000's - UIU grads Steve and Diane Harms (met in college Steve a football player, Diane a cheerleader) gave a generous donation to upgrade the facility to what you see now. It's now called Harms-Eischeid stadium. It is one of the best I've seen on scale in the NSIC. The private suites are used for a lot of groups coming back for reunions, hall of fame inductees (hof weekend), other special guests, and also each suite can be rented out for each game. Full buffet and a bar up there as well. The patio area has food and bar as well - costs a little more to get in there, but you do get those benefits. One of the biggest changes in the last 4 years is the tail gate area. UIU football parents have formed an association called the Peacock Tailgate Association. They have put in enormous amount of sweat equity hours transforming that area on their dime - put up a shelter, cut down trees and scrub brush, put fountain in the pond, brought in entertainment before games, feed the players after the games....it really is a big time atmosphere before the game. All in all for Fayette and UIU it's been a great asset and has helped tremendously with recruiting and all around game day atmosphere!

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock View Post
      I have seen the transformation of UIU's field from Robertson Wood's field which was next to the baseball field - some would say on par with a high school field at the time. The picture of the before stadium below was a HUGE upgrade at the time in the early 90's. It was called Eischeid field at the time as the Eischeid family provided a donation and also lead fund raising for the new stadium. Mike Eischeid was an early 60's grad from UIU and is most famous for punting for many years for the Vikings, Raiders, Bears, and Chiefs. I believe he still holds record for punt yardarge or most punts in Super Bowl history (punting for both the Raiders and Vikings). He is a regular at games still and an icon at UIU. The after picture came in the 2000's - UIU grads Steve and Diane Harms (met in college Steve a football player, Diane a cheerleader) gave a generous donation to upgrade the facility to what you see now. It's now called Harms-Eischeid stadium. It is one of the best I've seen on scale in the NSIC. The private suites are used for a lot of groups coming back for reunions, hall of fame inductees (hof weekend), other special guests, and also each suite can be rented out for each game. Full buffet and a bar up there as well. The patio area has food and bar as well - costs a little more to get in there, but you do get those benefits. One of the biggest changes in the last 4 years is the tail gate area. UIU football parents have formed an association called the Peacock Tailgate Association. They have put in enormous amount of sweat equity hours transforming that area on their dime - put up a shelter, cut down trees and scrub brush, put fountain in the pond, brought in entertainment before games, feed the players after the games....it really is a big time atmosphere before the game. All in all for Fayette and UIU it's been a great asset and has helped tremendously with recruiting and all around game day atmosphere!
      The "before" picture came from a 2011 Homecoming album I found.

I was going to ask about the tailgating area. I was looking at Google Maps satellite imagery trying to picture where it'd be based on what is written about it on the website, is it that grassy area north of the stadium? That seems like it'd be a neat spot! Also, I love the walking path into the stadium from the NW end and how the little road out to that area provides a nice connection point with the rest of campus.

Comment

Yes - north of the field towards the campus. The team walks through that area prior to the game - cheerleaders lead way and fight song is played, etc....crowd lines up and cheers the players on to the field.

Comment

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpbI4KbUUAANnp3.jpg
          https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm9hv7-VUAAVnMu.jpg

This one is of parents working to put in the shelter area in the tailgate area: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co-d59UUkAAUfco.jpg
          https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cn8AKO8VYAEqhgN.jpg
          Last edited by Peacock; 10-20-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

That looks awesome!

Comment

Looks like I'm going to have to plan a trip to Fayette in the future...

Comment

Love this stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

That's a very nice set-up for tailgating. I'm impressed!

Comment

The tailgating area is visiting fan friendly as well. Feel free to stop over. They have had beer samples, concerts and good food. Find the 'Cock Father' and he will get you set up. I think the party patio is a little underutilized but it made it easier for me to stand by the rail, have cold beverages and socialize. Also a quick halftime walk to the tailgate area if you want. A great environment.

Comment

That may be a theme to build on next year - how to extend the invitation formally to visiting fans, would make for an even better experience for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock View Post
                        That may be a theme to build on next year - how to extend the invitation formally to visiting fans, would make for an even better experience for all.
                        This would be really neat, actually.

I always enjoy it when opposing teams bring fans in to Marshall, like NSU did this weekend. It creates a better game day atmosphere, in my opinion. I like to think we're pretty friendly.

Comment

Very nice Peacock. I like the players walking through!! Cool environment.

Comment

Does every school have a certain parent or group that organizes rallies when on the road? Someone who contacts a bar to open early or to get space set aside for pre game? If a network could get set up they could pick bars friendly to programs or in UIU's case directions to the tailgate area.

Comment

Originally posted by cidpeacock View Post
                              Does every school have a certain parent or group that organizes rallies when on the road? Someone who contacts a bar to open early or to get space set aside for pre game? If a network could get set up they could pick bars friendly to programs or in UIU's case directions to the tailgate area.
                              Northern's alumni foundation organizes that at all NSU away football and basketball games. Usually pretty good attendance at these things from travels and locals alike. While I'd like to be proud of this, what NDSU does is absolutely incredible. Every Bison game day they have 60+ watch parties across the US set up. I guess they even have a website that you can find a location near you or organize a new site yourself. Pretty incredible even if I don't care for them.

Though not all the time, when the Wolves are on the road parents or alumni will have the entire team over for a meal or take them out to eat some where.

Comment

Originally posted by cidpeacock View Post
                                While the athletic department has hosted events on the road in the past, they were pretty meh and sparsely attended. However, USF has an active parent and fan group who tailgates nearly every game. Small but dedicated bunch. The facebook page below is a good spot for info for visiting fans as well as Coo fans if this what you're looking for cidpeacock. We loved interacting with visiting fans. The Kato games were probably the best for this. The 2015 beatdown at the Bob was forgettable but we had a great time with Mav fans.
                                https://www.facebook.com/USFCougarTailgate/

Cool to see the dedication of the UIU parents and tailgaters. I remember playing in Fayette in 2013 and walking to the stadium and being thoroughly impressed with the gameday atmosphere for such a small school. The passion was there, just a miniaturized version of college football. It was perfect. The pictures and details explain why now. That is what I'd love to see USF grow ours too. If they can pull it off with such a small and isolated school, the Coo should be able to do something similar. I love the idea of putting up picnic-type shelter. Something to consider. Thanks for sharing!
                                4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                                2016 NSIC Champions
                                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X