Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Stadium Rankings

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
    This was the game against USF, I went and I had a great time. Very impressed by the turnout and atmosphere, though I found it funny that 'attendance' was counted as soon as you enter the lots to tailgate and not the actual stadium. NSU4LIFE was correct, most people stayed outside and enjoyed themselves. Watched the entire third quarter from the back of a pickup truck along the fence with a cold beverage and that felt very South Dakotan with the wind blowing 45mph all around as well. Hopefully the fans still pack in at the new place despite the downsize in tailgate space and make it great time.
    That was because anyone who entered the tailgate was supposed to buy a ticket as well, though many parked on the west side of the high school and walked straight to tailgate. I think the new place will have higher attendance. Even if they go thr SDSU route of shutting down the tailgate at kickoff, there will still be tailgating. Melgaard park is huge and people will rent out the shelters there too I'm sure. Not to mention parking will be closer, more can walk to games and I've heard they may run shuttles from some locations like during the Brown County Fair. There is a reason they are putting in 2,000 more seats than what they had at Swisher. All they said, there will be high pressure on results and soon

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      The Boden era doesnt count for anything
      I remember watchin' him on the sidelines. Can't remember the player's name - 8 to 10 years ago - but was a WR and Boden wanted the ball in his hands constantly. Jet sweep, end around. Whatever ya want to call it, the kid got it. Very good player. Went on to coach as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
        I remember watchin' him on the sidelines. Can't remember the player's name - 8 to 10 years ago - but was a WR and Boden wanted the ball in his hands constantly. Jet sweep, end around. Whatever ya want to call it, the kid got it. Very good player. Went on to coach as I recall.
        Aberdeen Legend Brian Jark! Held the NSIC reception record until last year or a year prior. Pretty easy thing to do when it is screen pass after screen pass. Jark was an outstanding talent. Went to NDSU right out of HS but was behind two WR that were also two of the top sprinters in D2 at the time. Jark was also short, but crazy ripped. He trasndered home to play for the Wolves where his dad was an awesome baseball player who spent time in the minors with the Cubs. Jark also was in track and I'll never forget the dad we headed to the Sioux City relays and he wasnt on the bus. We were told how his dad was brutally murdered while trying to protect his wife from burglars down in Arizona. We all had very heavy hearts. His funeral was attended by close to 3,000 people as it was at held at Aberdeen Centrals old arena the Civic Arena. He was an incredible man and Brian is just as good of a guy considering his giftedness that made him Mr. Everything in high school.

Sorry, got a little off topic but just a little history.

To get back on topic, Boden was a nice guy but an awful coach. Not that this means everything but two quick stories. I was driving down 6th Avenue and saw our new coach (Boden) rolling along in a brand new Navigator. The rig was full of his coaching staff and they were blaring some music and it looked like a high school scene. Guys jumping around, it was just kind of odd. Secondly, when I took coaching football, Boden taught and it was painful. We had to draw up plays and he told me he liked one of my goalline plays and he might use it...which would be cool but I stopped playing football in 7th grade and did not have a football mind. I knew we were in trouble. Not that we were electric in the 90s, but the Boden era put us in a place where Crookston was the only somewhat guarantee. This is part of why a lot have given Dosch so much credit.

The era our Augie friend was talking about was so bad. It was my around my first year at NSU. Enrollment was way down and being a sports nut, going to a football game was never talked about by me or friends. Granted we were in season ourselves, but I didnt go to many games, nor did much of our depleted campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
          Been there twice; '07 and '08. Both times the crowds were small. In '07 (night game) there couldn't have been more than a couple thousand at most. In '08 it was a cold day and Augie had more fans than Northern. Total attendance was 413.
          A lot can change over 10 years. MSU had a winless season 15 years ago. Those were some dark years.

Comment

Jark. That's the kid to whom I was referrin'. Saw him play in person a few times over the years when Boden was the HC. Good player, imo. Isn't he coachin' in the NSIC...or did for a while?

Comment

Jark. That's the kid to whom I was referrin'. Saw him play in person a few times over the years when Boden was the HC. Good player, imo. Isn't he coachin' in the NSIC...or did for a while?
              Nope. He married an NSU soccer player and after teaching elementary PE in Aberdeen they later moved back to her home state of Oregon where he teaches middle school and elementary PE still, I believe.

Comment

The Boden era doesnt count for anything
                Didn't you say since '04 in a earlier post?? That was the Boden era...

Comment

Didn't you say since '04 in a earlier post?? That was the Boden era...
                  You are correct, got typing a little too quick. It moved out there in 2004, I think. I know the HS opened, I dont think the field did however. I also dont know when the tailgating truly started. I dont remember it much in the early years of college, but I also didnt really participate in that stuff until later on. So, my years were wrong, but my point is, it's much different from what you experienced.

Comment

Nope. He married an NSU soccer player and after teaching elementary PE in Aberdeen they later moved back to her home state of Oregon where he teaches middle school and elementary PE still, I believe.
                    Thought I remembered some kid from your school, pretty good player, who went on to coach and ended up an OC somewhere in the conference. Someone refresh my old, alcohol-addled mind, please.

And someone please tell me how to get rid of the "Retirement...." BS that continually pops up at the end of my replies. I didn't add it!

Comment

And someone please tell me how to get rid of the "Retirement...." BS that continually pops up at the end of my replies. I didn't add it!
                      I had that happen at least twice in the past when I multi quoted posts. The second quote didn't get repeated, just the first one. I had to go back to the original post of mine and take the check off.

Or it could be something else entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                        I had that happen at least twice in the past when I multi quoted posts. The second quote didn't get repeated, just the first one. I had to go back to the original post of mine and take the check off.

Or it could be something else entirely.
                        I've tried checkin' it off but nothin' happens. Tired of bein' "blessed".

Comment

Things must have really changed at Northern. Back in the day their crowds were very sparse and they had no game day vibe.
                          Highest attendance in the NSIC last season, at almost 4,000 per game.

Comment

I've tried checkin' it off but nothin' happens. Tired of bein' "blessed".
                            Try "Settings" on the top right of this page.

Then look at the far left column on the Settings page. Try "Edit Signature".

If that doesn't work then some admin will have to look at it.

Comment

You are correct, got typing a little too quick. It moved out there in 2004, I think. I know the HS opened, I dont think the field did however. I also dont know when the tailgating truly started. I dont remember it much in the early years of college, but I also didnt really participate in that stuff until later on. So, my years were wrong, but my point is, it's much different from what you experienced.
                              Both games I saw were at the high school field.

Comment

Forget to mention this yesterday but after attending the game at Augustana, it reminded me why Augustana has the best stadium in the NSIC! What a fine facility! Only improvements it needs is a new turf field (looks chewed up) and some (D***) lights!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X